User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ze ever formidable "Punt Gun!"
main-qimg-9d035ff7bc9c5ae87f844a7473781e8a.webp

Punt-gun-1.jpg

c. 1910-1920
The punt gun - Killing a whole lot of birds with one stone by Chris Wild

Designed to be fired from a punt (a small skiff boat), punt guns were intended to kill large numbers of waterfowl as efficiently as possible. Records exist of more than 90 birds being killed at once when the guns were used in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
The diameter of the gun's bore, the interior of the barrel, typically exceeded two inches, and each firing would dispense more than a pound of shot across the water.
Punt guns were primarily used for sport, to harvest large numbers of birds on hunting estates. The gun was fixed to the punt, and the hunter would silently direct the boat and the gun across the water, into the aim position. The gun had a very strong recoil; firing it would cause the punt to travel across the surface of the pool or lake.
Unsurprisingly, using punt guns had a very negative impact on the number of birds in the ecosystem. By the mid-19th century, a majority of U.S. states had outlawed the use of punt guns — but they continue to be used in Britain.
June 2 is National Gun Violence Awareness Day in the U.S.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
1:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Punt-gun-1.jpg

c. 1910-1920

Designed to be fired from a punt (a small skiff boat), punt guns were intended to kill large numbers of waterfowl as efficiently as possible. Records exist of more than 90 birds being killed at once when the guns were used in the 19th and early 20th centuries.
The diameter of the gun's bore, the interior of the barrel, typically exceeded two inches, and each firing would dispense more than a pound of shot across the water.
Punt guns were primarily used for sport, to harvest large numbers of birds on hunting estates. The gun was fixed to the punt, and the hunter would silently direct the boat and the gun across the water, into the aim position. The gun had a very strong recoil; firing it would cause the punt to travel across the surface of the pool or lake.
Unsurprisingly, using punt guns had a very negative impact on the number of birds in the ecosystem. By the mid-19th century, a majority of U.S. states had outlawed the use of punt guns — but they continue to be used in Britain.
That looks like it would be a PITA to load and clean.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody have any real world experience with the Amend2 magazines? They seem to be had for a few bucks less a piece over the Magpuls. But they might be junk too. Im having flashbacks of the old Ramline/Jamline’s for the 10/22. :D

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know about those particular mags, but I will say cheap mags today are way better than cheap mags of the past. The $10.00 Mission First Tactical mags work great in my rifles. Even chintzy Pro Mags function just fine in my Browning Hi-Power.

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't know about those particular mags, but I will say cheap mags today are way better than cheap mags of the past. The $10.00 Mission First Tactical mags work great in my rifles. Even chintzy Pro Mags function just fine in my Browning Hi-Power.
Thanks for the info. Ill have to research the MFT mags. Sounds like a good 2nd option over Magpuls.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Sentry Hexmags look really nice too, the plastic looks more sturdy. They are $12.00 here. My favorite AR mags are the black stainless 20 rounders from AR Stoner (Midway house brand), they cost about $12.00 also.
I've wondered about the Stoner mags. I'll grab a few.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
7:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Punt-gun-1.jpg

c. 1910-1920

Thanks for sharing that there’s some amazing stories I’ve heard over the years
I saw a punt gun in a gun shop years ago it must have been 8ft long
And the shop owner said this gun would fire a load equivalent
to 40 x 12 bore cartridges

I fired a 8 bore once and that was a kick and a half I took out a squirrel nest

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody have any real world experience with the Amend2 magazines? They seem to be had for a few bucks less a piece over the Magpuls. But they might be junk too. Im having flashbacks of the old Ramline/Jamline’s for the 10/22. :D

Don’t know anything about those but the ones I’ve tried I would take a magpul over most
I have 8 of the magpul and not had any issues. FYI

Sent from Hoskey hilltop

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
there greylag geese good flyers they like windy days helluva thick down on the chest
Very cool! I did a lil research and the greylag seem to be like our Canadian geese. I did come across a story of a greylag that mixed in with some Canadians in the states but we dont have them here. Good hunt and good pic!