High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys Hockfire Saws

how about a Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX,+IA GTG thread?

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hauled a load of corn to an ethanol plant about 65 miles north of us, we look like a garden spot compared to some of those folks. It was only about 81* here today & some of their corn was rolled up tight, already firing & their pastures were chit. Several of them had already started feeding hay. We won’t be far behind if we don’t get some significant rains soon.

I watched the animated radar on two different nights, the closer the storm cells got the more they shriveled up & dissipated.

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t even know what a *frenching horse weed is, but I do not care at this point somebody needs an ass beatin...

I would send some horse weeds but I wouldn’t want to curse you with having them growing there.

They are similar stem wise to a hemp plant, will grow anywhere up to a height up to 10’ or better, They are very fiberous & cellulosy with big ol’ scratchy, itchy leaves. The base of the stem can get to around 3” on a big one.

When we were kids we used to have to cut them off with corn knives & then we would sword fight with them or maybe slap your opponent across the face & arms with the leaf end. It sucked.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hauled a load of corn to an ethanol plant about 65 miles north of us, we look like a garden spot compared to some of those folks. It was only about 81* here today & some of their corn was rolled up tight, already firing & their pastures were chit. Several of them had already started feeding hay. We won’t be far behind if we don’t get some significant rains soon.

I watched the animated radar on two different nights, the closer the storm cells got the more they shriveled up & dissipated.

Do you guys have much CRP up there? About 10 or 11 years ago, it was dry enough and pastures were hurting bad enough here, we were allowed to swath and bale CRP, just so people could have bales to feed.

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you guys have much CRP up there? About 10 or 11 years ago, it was dry enough and pastures were hurting bad enough here, we were allowed to swath and bale CRP, just so people could have bales to feed.
Yes we have a lot of it but a lot of it hasn’t been maintained so it’s full of Honey Locust, Cedars & multiple other trees & bushes.
I believe they turn it loose every year after Aug. or Sept. 1 , earlier sometimes. There are stipulations on it, you can only mow 1/2 of a field, certain fields aren’t eligible, you can mow some types of native grasses & wild flowers but not others.

NW Missouri has already released theirs, one of my brothers was helping a fella mow some and said they raked & baled some right after they got done mowing it. The baker monitor had it in the dry range.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes we have a lot of it but a lot of it hasn’t been maintained so it’s full of Honey Locust, Cedars & multiple other trees & bushes.
I believe they turn it loose every year after Aug. or Sept. 1 , earlier sometimes. There are stipulations on it, you can only mow 1/2 of a field, certain fields aren’t eligible, you can mow some types of native grasses & wild flowers but not others.

NW Missouri has already released theirs, one of my brothers was helping a fella mow some and said they raked & baled some right after they got done mowing it. The baker monitor had it in the dry range.

There were stipulations on it back then too, but I don't think it's very common out here. I haven't heard for sure if anyone is allowed to cut any down here yet.

Hopefully it helps out enough to make a difference. Sounds like drought is spread around quite a bit this year.

hoskvarna

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There were stipulations on it back then too, but I don't think it's very common out here. I haven't heard for sure if anyone is allowed to cut any down here yet.

Hopefully it helps out enough to make a difference. Sounds like drought is spread around quite a bit this year.

They have not released it yet in my county
Hopefully it will be [emoji106]

Sent from Hoskey Hills

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This used to be the norm, if not bigger, when I was a kid, 30-40 years ago. Nowadays, we're lucky if our storm systems are a 10th of this. 20 miles wide and 40 north to south is big anymore.
View attachment 344629
It goes in cycles.

There was a reason for the dust bowl..

The boys out west were turning ground they shouldn’t cuz they didn’t know any better.. they had 10 years of good moisture prior...

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It goes in cycles.

There was a reason for the dust bowl..

The boys out west were turning ground they shouldn’t cuz they didn’t know any better.. they had 10 years of good moisture prior...

There was some old timers.........I won't mention ages, since that could be a slippery slope, lol that were relating the past 3 months to the beginning of the dust bowl, in terms of moisture and heat. I could sit and listen to those folks for hours on end.

People are starting to work ground a little more than they used to, even just 10 years ago, but overall it's still not the majority anymore. I'm sure you know that already, just mentioning it.

Workshop

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’re hitting the road in the morning heading out to my sister in laws place in Holton Ks. Just a quick one day thing. Picking up another project. Suzuki Bergman scooter in a box she’s giving to me. It’ll be fun putting it back together and riding it.
:)

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ten hours of ass time in the van to fetch son Michael up from St. Louis.

I love driving eye seventy, Not!

Our lights will go out early tonight.
I prefer taking 36 over to Hannibal then taking 61 down or going to Macon & taking 63 to 70. Have a safe trip

JimBear

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’re hitting the road in the morning heading out to my sister in laws place in Holton Ks. Just a quick one day thing. Picking up another project. Suzuki Bergman scooter in a box she’s giving to me. It’ll be fun putting it back together and riding it.
Have a safe trip, I don’t have the patience to rebuild stuff like that.

I believe there is a big quilt shop there if your wife is into that stuff but you are probably already aware of that.

Weren’t you out there a year or 2 ago when the power was out or cutting some trees ?

Jetmd

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Smithville, MO..Born in Iowa by the grace of God
Country flag
@Jetmd
Have you eaten at Captain’s Corner in Paradise?

Yes I have.

Nice little place, good food and the people are nice.

We are very fortunate to have a couple of other really good restaurants in Smithville.

Chops BBQ is excellent!

Kozaks is also a favorite.

Let me know and we’ll meet you at either place.

Jetmd

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Smithville, MO..Born in Iowa by the grace of God
Country flag

Steve, I am on call tomorrow but could make time for a meal if you are coming through KC?