Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
8:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been part of this forum, and the other forum now for a long time. I've dedicated quite the percentage of my life to study on here, and sharing what I learn with the YT and FB and forum community. My conclusion after much of this study was that there was a significant gap in what the community needed as far as products go, unavailable parts and such, and what folks were willing to "front" as far as their own time and effort. From what I have seen, there have been a few guys that have really put themselves out there. @Definitive Dave , @Duke Thieroff @Gentleman are some of those folks. My hats off to you for making this work.

After much homework and many phonecalls I decided to throw my hat in the ring as well. I found a product that everyone has been clammoring for for 20 years?, brought it to market 2 days ago, and then today find out TODAY that FT will now offer a 288 in high top version. :hmmm:

I had lots of plans to keep these projects going and move on to making other things that are NLA. I even have the guy to do it, locally, made in USA. There are a zillion things that could indeed be made on a small scale and yet ultimately is seems like the market has chosen to let the larger manufacturers dictate what products we get. I'd love to help bridge the gap in the market but right now I'm just not seeing it.

I tried... I really did. Hope everyone else has a good day.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does that mean you're going to cease production on your 288 covers? I don't think you should - just because FT is coming out with a similar product doesn't mean the quality of their product will
be commensurate or function as well.

Last edited:

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For now I'm not spending any money in that direction. I have stock right now....but until I actually make my investment back and then some I cant risk another penny. If had already seen significant sales then I would have pushed forward and done other cool stuff but because there is a competing product I cant risk anything further.

It really seemed like I had one of the coolest and most relevant chainsaw products....

Srry guys....im really pissed.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d be pissed too. Your plan for now seems sensible.
Sell off what you got to get your money back. But, you know, you could be thinking of other stuff to make. Keeping the FT products in mind. Maybe even stuff to enhance their stuff. IDK…

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been part of this forum, and the other forum now for a long time. I've dedicated quite the percentage of my life to study on here, and sharing what I learn with the YT and FB and forum community. My conclusion after much of this study was that there was a significant gap in what the community needed as far as products go, unavailable parts and such, and what folks were willing to "front" as far as their own time and effort. From what I have seen, there have been a few guys that have really put themselves out there. @Definitive Dave , @Duke Thieroff @Gentleman are some of those folks. My hats off to you for making this work.

After much homework and many phonecalls I decided to throw my hat in the ring as well. I found a product that everyone has been clammoring for for 20 years?, brought it to market 2 days ago, and then today find out TODAY that FT will now offer a 288 in high top version. :hmmm:

I had lots of plans to keep these projects going and move on to making other things that are NLA. I even have the guy to do it, locally, made in USA. There are a zillion things that could indeed be made on a small scale and yet ultimately is seems like the market has chosen to let the larger manufacturers dictate what products we get. I'd love to help bridge the gap in the market but right now I'm just not seeing it.

I tried... I really did. Hope everyone else has a good day.
They've never put stuff out when they've said they
Would it could be a year who knows.
Hopefully you've got plenty of time to move your inventory.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I for one, would buy from you, Matt. I like to spend my monies in house. I try my hardest not to buy cheap products with no QC.
I like to support the Mom & Pop stores and other small business. I avoid big box stores and food chains.

I think many turn to FT when it's no where else to be found, or they went to experiment on something for well ..... you know,
science and stuff.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think quality sells, but everyone has there limits on price. I am sick of China products that suck, the ft failure rate and quality is an obvious problem. Some stuff is ok, but most isn’t, and there prices keep going up too. I try to buy as much USA made product as I can. Any saw out of production Is going to have issues with parts. Old Mac stuff is basically a NOS hunt!

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think quality sells, but everyone has there limits on price. I am sick of China products that suck, the ft failure rate and quality is an obvious problem. Some stuff is ok, but most isn’t, and there prices keep going up too. I try to buy as much USA made product as I can. Any saw out of production Is going to have issues with parts. Old Mac stuff is basically a NOS hunt!
Are you listening @Mattyo ?
YOUR products will sell. Get what you need to make a profit and offer once a month specials. You will find the loyal support that small buis thrives on. It was you that got me to add a 288 on my wish list.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you listening @Mattyo ?
YOUR products will sell. Get what you need to make a profit and offer once a month specials. You will find the loyal support that small buis thrives on. It was you that got me to add a 288 on my wish list.
Wish list? WTF is that? I think you mean "actively searching for" list.

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you not adapt the molds to make something else?? A top cover for a different model? Add some mighty puddy to the areas that it needs and adapt the mold to fit a another saw model?

Maybe the future for you, is to make Molds for rare parts and then sell those molds to the big wig company’s for a decent profit, maybe royalty’s?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The mold is steel.....really tough stuff to account for resisting wear from the glass fibers.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Another problem with FT is they are in China. Shipping takes a long time and isn’t always reliable. Not to mention returns are basically impossible. Combined with their cloudy timeline and quality reputation I think you have the edge. You may even find FT will end up driving your product.

I can understand your frustration though. I wouldn’t want to compete with a large patent infringing corporation powered by cheap labor. They have lots of money and no ethics.

Hang in there and please keep innovating!

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks man for the encouragement. I cant keep innovating unless the stuff gets bought :( I hope I can sell out of covers and then hopefully have my investment covered and then re eval stuff. This took the wind out if my sails though. I really did my homework on this and it still seems like its gonna bite me. Who knows.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks man for the encouragement. I cant keep innovating unless the stuff gets bought :( I hope I can sell out of covers and then hopefully have my investment covered and then re eval stuff. This took the wind out if my sails though. I really did my homework on this and it still seems like its gonna bite me. Who knows.
You may have to get it out into the Facebook groups in order to sell that many. It’s just a larger audience

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You may have to get it out into the Facebook groups in order to sell that many. It’s just a larger audience

Already done....thanks for suggestion though Kevin.