stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd argue the 55-59 Chev's, the 70's Ford's and the O.G. Power Wagon are much better from a visual standpoint.
I also liked the 70's era Fords. Wish I still had it, but in this state, you have to throw in the towel when the frame can't hold it up anymore.P1020288.JPG

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice truck!

Never throw in the towel!

View attachment 374009
Years ago, my we went to a rod show in Springfield, MO. My wife had a hard time making me watch where I was driving. There was so many rust free cars and trucks down there that had long been extinct up here. I did a lot of drooling.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
8:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few highlights from my Dodge adventures so far. For future reference, 298k is about the max life span for non-greasable u-joints and the truck might need a bit more than an alignment. The tie rod ends are..... loose. Very loose. I think if I tried I could pop some of the studs out of their sockets they're that loose. Also, if diff oil comes out in a fist-sized blob that stays intact until it hits the pan it may be past the recommended service interval.
IMG_3299.jpegIMG_3352.jpegIMG_3353.jpegIMG_3519.jpegIMG_3523.jpeg

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few highlights from my Dodge adventures so far. For future reference, 298k is about the max life span for non-greasable u-joints and the truck might need a bit more than an alignment. The tie rod ends are..... loose. Very loose. I think if I tried I could pop some of the studs out of their sockets they're that loose. Also, if diff oil comes out in a fist-sized blob that stays intact until it hits the pan it may be past the recommended service interval.
View attachment 376243
So Dodge door frames look like that in the states too...
I just thought it was our bush roads

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So Dodge door frames look like that in the states too...
I just thought it was our bush roads
Not just in the Great White North, that truck was used almost exclusively as a freeway commuter until it was parked 10-15 years ago. If'n that door can't be saved I've got a backup sitting in the bed of the truck.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My trusty 1998 Mazda 626 stick shift/four banger is finally leaking enough oil to where it's annoying so I'm going to reseal the oil pump, crankshaft seal, and oil pan and put a new timing belt in. Lotsa fun, hopefully good for another 340k miles.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My trusty 1998 Mazda 626 stick shift/four banger is finally leaking enough oil to where it's annoying so I'm going to reseal the oil pump, crankshaft seal, and oil pan and put a new timing belt in. Lotsa fun, hopefully good for another 340k miles.

Just pull the engine and put it on a stand. Get an engine gasket set and reseal the whole thing. You won't regret it!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell, I've already resealed everything else! Rear main is seeping, will take care of that next clutch job.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found a new Melling pump for only $25 plus shipping so I went ahead and ordered it. Replace it new and won't be blue! This is the type with the rotors concentric to the crankshaft snout, the housing is also the crank seal retainer and connects to the front of the oil pan. Do these require anything special to prime? My normal procedure is to pull the plugs and crank the engine until I can see oil is making it to the cams. I know some guys pack them with assembly lube or STP goop.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found a new Melling pump for only $25 plus shipping so I went ahead and ordered it. Replace it new and won't be blue! This is the type with the rotors concentric to the crankshaft snout, the housing is also the crank seal retainer and connects to the front of the oil pan. Do these require anything special to prime? My normal procedure is to pull the plugs and crank the engine until I can see oil is making it to the cams. I know some guys pack them with assembly lube or STP goop.

I just put assembly lube in them. Melling has their own brand that works well and you can just get it at O'Reillys. Even gear oil will work just fine. Yup, pull the plugs and crank it till the oil light goes out. Make sure to unplug the crank sensor to disable the ignition and fuel injectors while priming or just jump the starter relay with the key off..

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have a friends 2013 Chevy Captiva with 66,000 miles, nice condition inside and out. Problem is 2.4 liter exotec is locked up. Trans in neutral and cannot turn with breaker bar. So try and rebuild it or just replace, I know loaded question, anyone tear one down or replace?ABC57798-0BA0-4C8D-BCFA-39FE2DB333B7.jpeg

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have a friends 2013 Chevy Captiva with 66,000 miles, nice condition inside and out. Problem is 2.4 liter exotec is locked up. Trans in neutral and cannot turn with breaker bar. So try and rebuild it or just replace, I know loaded question, anyone tear one down or replace?View attachment 378414

@redline4

Ed knows a thing or two about them.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just put assembly lube in them. Melling has their own brand that works well and you can just get it at O'Reillys. Even gear oil will work just fine. Yup, pull the plugs and crank it till the oil light goes out. Make sure to unplug the crank sensor to disable the ignition and fuel injectors while priming or just jump the starter relay with the key off..

Thanks. When I was in the business I never saw anybody prime an oil pump. Working on my own stuff, I tend to study it more 'cause I don't want to give myself comebacks!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have a friends 2013 Chevy Captiva with 66,000 miles, nice condition inside and out. Problem is 2.4 liter exotec is locked up. Trans in neutral and cannot turn with breaker bar. So try and rebuild it or just replace, I know loaded question, anyone tear one down or replace?View attachment 378414

I would see how much a low mileage used engine could be had for first. The 2.4's are some of GM's better engines in my experience as long as you take care of them.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Pop the cam cover off 1st.
If it's locked up because the valves are bent or dropped into the cylinders, it's pretty much toast. Unless the cylinder walls are OK.

If the top end isn't the culprit, pull the oil pan and some bearing caps. For what it's worth, the probably thousand of these I've been in, only had 2 they ran so long without oil the bearings went.

Good luck finding used...
GM reman is roughly $5800. Used will probably fetch close and probably need chains and pistons.

I'd tear into it and see if it can be salvaged.

I just rebuilt a 15 Equinox I bought and am now selling.

20230422_081407.jpg20230507_112649.jpg

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot to mention, when pulling rod caps, be sure to mark them as they are fractured caps and need to go on only 1 way. They also orient in the engine 1 way too, there's a larger "flat" boss on the rod that faces the front of the engine.

If you need a parts list, let me know as the only way to get the piston kit # is from a bulletin.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I forgot to mention, when pulling rod caps, be sure to mark them as they are fractured caps and need to go on only 1 way. They also orient in the engine 1 way too, there's a larger "flat" boss on the rod that faces the front of the engine.

If you need a parts list, let me know as the only way to get the piston kit # is from a bulletin.
I have a couple projects to do first, but thanks for your knowledge.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife had a 2000's Cavalier with 2.4. It was really dependable, ran perfectly with 200k when we sold it.