Grease Monkey Garage

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our 2008 Honda Odyssey has started into the usual random multiple cylinder misfires caused by the VCM system. This has to be the worst idea ever, not even early 80's Mopar could have created it. Turn the engine into an unbalanced three cylinder and try to hide it with $800 fancy motor mounts and playing white noise through the stereo. There is an entire industry of gadgets for disabling VCM. Anyhow, I found a super easy way to get rid of it. Unplug two single wire connectors on the VTEC spool valves as shown in this thread from the Odyssey forum. Damn thing runs great now and I DGAF about the CEL being on. Fuel mileage actually seems a little bit better in fact!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Our 2008 Honda Odyssey has started into the usual random multiple cylinder misfires caused by the VCM system. This has to be the worst idea ever, not even early 80's Mopar could have created it. Turn the engine into an unbalanced three cylinder and try to hide it with $800 fancy motor mounts and playing white noise through the stereo. There is an entire industry of gadgets for disabling VCM. Anyhow, I found a super easy way to get rid of it. Unplug two single wire connectors on the VTEC spool valves as shown in this thread from the Odyssey forum. Damn thing runs great now and I DGAF about the CEL being on. Fuel mileage actually seems a little bit better in fact!

It's really the best system on the market as far as reliability. With it I was able to achieve 29mpg on the highway and keep it above 24mpg in normal mixed driving. That was on both our 2011 and 2015 odysseys. The spool valves are the only real failure points on them. Those single wire oil pressure sensors can fail too and are super easy to replace. Make sure your valve lash is good. That is very important for this system to work properly. Keep in mind your engine mounts are 15 years old and most likely worn or even torn or broken. Always get original engine mounts from the dealer. Does not matter what vehicle make, all aftermarket mounts are junk!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Totally respect your knowledge and point of view, but I'm keeping it disabled. I would guess it gets low 20's MPG in mixed driving which is fine with me. Honestly, I would rather have our Accord's 2.4 four banger in this van. I really don't care how fast this thing is, it's just a brat hauler.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Totally respect your knowledge and point of view, but I'm keeping it disabled. I would guess it gets low 20's MPG in mixed driving which is fine with me. Honestly, I would rather have our Accord's 2.4 four banger in this van. I really don't care how fast this thing is, it's just a brat hauler.

I get it. I really don't care for odysseys at all. Same problems that have plague them for years and multiple generations are still there. You would think a company like Honda would address these issues. But like most companies today they just skate by on their name.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Other than VCM and the oil leaks, this thing has been rock solid. Apparently, Honda has made non-VCM examples over the years so if we ever get another one I will look for that. From what I understand, the next Odyssey will likely be four banger hybrid. If it is as good as Toyota hybrids have been in my experience then it should be a good vehicle, certainly no worse than it is now. I'll let you know in 15 years when they are old enough to be in my price range!

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s a “custom” rim now. They don’t have the demand anymore for 15” rims with those dimensions. About $800.00 each now, used to be under $200 for one of these
My dad is running into that same issue, he wanted 15x9's on the rear of the Chevelle that he is redoing but no such luck

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow. Sometimes I forget my age. The last time I bought a new custom wheel and tire package I paid 600.00 for the set at a NSRA show. 15's were super common then.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody know where the tailgate buzzer is on a 2008 Honda Odyssey? SOB is malfunctioning and constantly on even with the gate shut properly. I don't care about fixing it, just going to remove it and into the trash where it belongs. It sounds like it's inside the right hand c pillar but I don't see any wires going in that direction.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anybody know where the tailgate buzzer is on a 2008 Honda Odyssey? SOB is malfunctioning and constantly on even with the gate shut properly. I don't care about fixing it, just going to remove it and into the trash where it belongs. It sounds like it's inside the right hand c pillar but I don't see any wires going in that direction.
From what I can see, doing a search, the buzzer is under the driver side tail light, behind the bumper cover. Hope this helps. Post #22.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I will give it a try. I've also read that it's under the bumper on the passenger side. The more I work on this thing the more I like Toyota. Honda quality is top notch but many of their designs are totally WTF. And their OEM parts lookup is terrible.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, I will give it a try. I've also read that it's under the bumper on the passenger side. The more I work on this thing the more I like Toyota. Honda quality is top notch but many of their designs are totally WTF. And their OEM parts lookup is terrible.
Be happy it's not a VW. From what I'm told, their electrical is a nightmare to work on.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
VW is on my sh!t list along with Volvo and Audi. Overrated junk, these marques have been coasting on reputation for decades.