Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
11:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, for the Stain ……..
I tried a few of the resto sites, seems like they don’t believe that I need what I’m looking for

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
11:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran out of shielding gas for purging, so I got to thinking ……
5182297F-88EC-4C92-9A02-42B170401E94.jpeg 2D17720E-AEE9-437B-9C8D-899F6236CBE7.jpeg
and I used some tubing and some hose, plus a 90 degree high temp silicon elbow. Then I had several aftermarket aluminim pulley sets in boxxes, tried them all, most hit the aftermarket aluminum alternator bracket, others wouldn’t line up with either the alternator or the power steering pump, so I shimmed both original pulleys and now I just need belts. Started figuring out the engine wiring, but I’ll need a wiring diagram and some sensors before I can get them squared away.B0868EBD-A233-4D72-838B-7EB00D03932A.jpeg

Been working lots of extra hours lately, so progress has been slow on this, and I’ll be porting a 500i after machining the cylinder, plus my girls softball teams are still traveling on weekends ……… but I’m close to starting up the 302 to hear how my custom stainless exhaust system sounds !!!

Last edited:

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ran out of shielding gas for purging, so I got to thinking ……
View attachment 354037 View attachment 354038
and I used some tubing and some hose, plus a 90 degree high temp silicon elbow. Then I had several aftermarket aluminim pulley sets in boxxes, tried them all, most hit the aftermarket aluminum alternator bracket, others wouldn’t line up with either the alternator or the power steering pump, so I shimmed both original pulleys and now I just need belts. Started figuring out the engine wiring, but I’ll need a wiring diagram and some sensors before I can get them squared away.View attachment 354039

Been working lots of extra hours lately, so progress has been slow on this, and I’ll be porting a 500i after machining the cylinder, plus my girls softball teams are still traveling on weekends ……… but I’m close to starting up the 302 to hear how my custom stainless exhaust system sounds !!![/QU

Fix one problem at a time. You will get there. Nice work.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scored another GM NV4500…. Saving up parts for a ‘67-72 Chevy build. So far I have 1 ton axles, and a 454, and I also found a passenger drop NP241 from an ‘89 Suburban, which will bolt right up to the 32 spline output on the NV.

now I just need a truck to put it all in. :rolleyes:

AFCEE392-2066-4A6C-98A8-5349562B38BA.jpeg

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Scored another GM NV4500…. Saving up parts for a ‘67-72 Chevy build. So far I have 1 ton axles, and a 454, and I also found a passenger drop NP241 from an ‘89 Suburban, which will bolt right up to the 32 spline output on the NV.

now I just need a truck to put it all in. :rolleyes:

View attachment 355189

I know you know, but make sure you go with the correct bell housing for your gen trans. They had two. One had a hydraulic slave cylinder throw out setup. The other was a fork and yolk. The hyd is the only way to get a drivers side drop if memory serves me correctly. But if you're going pass side drop.... Be a piece of cake either one will work.

Steven

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know you know, but make sure you go with the correct bell housing for your gen trans. They had two. One had a hydraulic slave cylinder throw out setup. The other was a fork and yolk. The hyd is the only way to get a drivers side drop if memory serves me correctly. But if you're going pass side drop.... Be a piece of cake either one will work.

Steven

You need the late bell housing with the internal concentric slave cylinder for the passenger drop. The external slave on the early models mounts on passenger side and will hit the drive shaft. Make sure you get a gas bell housing too. The 6.5 diesel bell housing is different.

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You need the late bell housing with the internal concentric slave cylinder for the passenger drop. The external slave on the early models mounts on passenger side and will hit the drive shaft. Make sure you get a gas bell housing too. The 6.5 diesel bell housing is different.

:beer-toast1: good man. Set us straight.

Steven

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Steven
yeah I’ve had about 15 different NV4500’s over the years and have been through all this a bunch of times. This time I’m just gonna get an adapter bellhousing with the hydraulic external slave cylinder. This one is from a ‘96 & came with an internal slave bellhousing, but it was a 6.5 diesel…. honestly I haven’t even looked at it, because I think I want an external slave cylinder for this, and my Dana 60 is passenger drop.

I also have a spare LS I thought of using, but I’m kinda leaning towards a big block with the Holley fuel injection. No more carburetors for me.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s what I have for my Jeep build. The trans is a Dodge gas version with the 23 spline output, which bolts right up to my Dana 300, but I used a GM input shaft & bellhousing & all factory GM clutch parts for simplicity…. and the internal slave is nice because there’s not a lot of room under a Jeep. I figure it will be fine on a vehicle that only sees a few thousand miles a year. I also like the Dodge version because the output is shorter and I need all the driveshaft length I can get.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Few more parts. Le DD Land Cruiser threw a check engine light and is starting to run a wee bit funny, plus it really could use a full service so I'm prepping for some minor work on my two-fiddy and stocking up for when I'll really do some work to the truck. Got a booster bracket en route so's I can run a 99-04 2-fiddy booster and a universal proportioning valve, all I need now is a disc brake front axle and something to work as a parking brake.
IMG_1809.jpeg