First chainsaw!

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
7:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A hot chain way outgrows a warm bar, adjust slightly on the snug side cold for the correct tension several cuts in. Similarly, the piston and ring outgrow the cylinder, once warm though, beat thoroughly like a red headed stepchild for best results.

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey everyone, I ran the saw again today out of curiosity. No actual cutting was done, I was just curious to see if this would happen again. I wanted to see if it was dripping oil from the muffler, and to my surprise it was not! So from running the saw yesterday the excess black oil was just from running too rich on the low speed setting and building up during long idles when I sat the saw down. I re-tuned it yesterday. And attempted to re-tune again today. My low speed ended up in the exact same spot as yesterday. Idle RPM is spot on 2580-2820rpm on my tach. The low RPM would be from after letting off the gas. It drops to 2580 and returns right back to 2700-2800 range.

Essentially I turned the low speed both direction in/out until the RPM dropped on both sides, then set it to the middle of that location, with a little more towards the leaner side for this heavy 32:1 mix. I then leaned high speed maybe 1/16th of a turn in. And there is pretty much no smoke and it’s running amazing.

After running the saw for about 15-20 minutes, I didn’t see and excess black unburnt oil. So I turned the saw off and restarted it a few times. And it fires up very 1st pull every single time, what a marvelous thing. I practiced this about 4-5 times just to confirm restarting is spot on. After that I let it idle, and it does exactly that, and it will idle forever and a day if need be 😎

Anyways. I’m done tinkering with it. And will be using it again this weekend. The saw is an absolutely fantastic running machine.

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey everyone, I ran the saw again today out of curiosity. No actual cutting was done, I was just curious to see if this would happen again. I wanted to see if it was dripping oil from the muffler, and to my surprise it was not! So from running the saw yesterday the excess black oil was just from running too rich on the low speed setting and building up during long idles when I sat the saw down. I re-tuned it yesterday. And attempted to re-tune again today. My low speed ended up in the exact same spot as yesterday. Idle RPM is spot on 2580-2820rpm on my tach. The low RPM would be from after letting off the gas. It drops to 2580 and returns right back to 2700-2800 range.

Essentially I turned the low speed both direction in/out until the RPM dropped on both sides, then set it to the middle of that location, with a little more towards the leaner side for this heavy 32:1 mix. I then leaned high speed maybe 1/16th of a turn in. And there is pretty much no smoke and it’s running amazing.

After running the saw for about 15-20 minutes, I didn’t see and excess black unburnt oil. So I turned the saw off and restarted it a few times. And it fires up very 1st pull every single time, what a marvelous thing. I practiced this about 4-5 times just to confirm restarting is spot on. After that I let it idle, and it does exactly that, and it will idle forever and a day if need be 😎

Anyways. I’m done tinkering with it. And will be using it again this weekend. The saw is an absolutely fantastic running machine.
Great! Glad to here that it stopped dripping un-burnt oil out of the exhaust. Have fun running the saw this weekend!

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Saw does 11.5K in the cut on this pine tree! It’s a real ripper! I think Pine cuts easy though. 🙃 ALSO, this is a video of me cutting. I learned how by watching YouTube videos lol. I have no real technique.

It’s amazing how it acts completely different now, than when it was brand spank’n new. When it was new new you had to be careful not to bog it down in the cut, or stall it n the cut. No applying any pressure, you could only lightly steer/guide it through the cut and it would get it done. But now it just rips through wood and doesn’t even think about it. It’s tuned to perfection on 32:1. I really love it! I have been just getting on it and not babying it. Thanks everyone!

IMG_4235.jpeg
IMG_4233.jpeg
IMG_4234.jpeg

Last edited:

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Saw does 11.5K in the cut on this pine tree! It’s a real ripper! I think Pine cuts easy though. 🙃 ALSO, this is a video of me cutting. I learned how by watching YouTube videos lol. I have no real technique.

It’s amazing how it acts completely different now, than when it was brand spank’n new. When it was new new you had to be careful not to bog it down in the cut, or stall it n the cut. No applying any pressure, you could only lightly steer/guide it through the cut and it would get it done. But now it just rips through wood and doesn’t even think about it. It’s tuned to perfection on 32:1. I really love it! I have been just getting on it and not babying it. Thanks everyone!

View attachment 430738
View attachment 430737
View attachment 430735
Looks great! You will get years of use out of that saw.

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks great! You will get years of use out of that saw.

Thanks! It cuts so amazing. This saw has just come to life out of no where on me. This full chisel chain is also getting it done. Throws down massive wood chips! Since I am running 32:1 it feels like I can really ring its neck and not worry about it. 🙂

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like you have that saw tuned dead on. There's nothing like a perfectly tuned chainsaw! I have a old mcculloch 7-10 that I tuned and tuned and tuned. I couldn't jet it to were I liked it. One day I just tuned it a tiny bit and I found the sweet spot. That thing is now the best running saw I have ever run. That saw runs so clean it is just stuped. I run 20/1 fuel in it and the muffler is bare metal. I run that saw on the rich side to. That saw also starts on 2 pules cold every time.

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like you have that saw tuned dead on. There's nothing like a perfectly tuned chainsaw! I have a old mcculloch 7-10 that I tuned and tuned and tuned. I couldn't jet it to were I liked it. One day I just tuned it a tiny bit and I found the sweet spot. That thing is now the best running saw I have ever run. That saw runs so clean it is just stuped. I run 20/1 fuel in it and the muffler is bare metal. I run that saw on the rich side to. That saw also starts on 2 pules cold every time.

That’s how I was doing with this 261. When I first got it and swapped to 32:1 mix, I kept tuning at it until it was perfect, But I did get it there, and I haven’t touched the needles since. Always two pulls. It will Pop with full choke on pull #1, and then it fires and runs on half choke pull #2.

Since I’m like brand new to chainsaws. One important thing I have learned since owning this saw, which this may potentially help other new comers. And that is: How the saw felt brand new, and how this saw feels right now. When I cut up my first tree with this saw, I felt like the saw was a little underpowered. It stalled pretty easy, and it bogged down with barely any pressure at all. So in my mind with no chainsaw experience at all, I’m thinking this 261 talked the talk, but doesn’t exactly walk the walk. Shortly after this experience, I swapped to a full chisel chain, swapped to 32:1 ratio, re-tuned the saw, allowed the saw to break in plenty. Now when using the saw, it actually feels like overkill on a tree in my mind lol. It has more than enough power. Just a Day and night difference that I was not expecting. I can apply pressure on the saw, and even let off the gas in the cut with the bar in the wood, and re-apply the gas again and it revvs right up and continues cutting again. This tells me that break-in alone really changes these chainsaws. So my point is: I’ll never judge a brand new saw’s power again lol. 😆 The thing sounds like the gates of hell opening up when buried in some wood. I love it.

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s how I was doing with this 261. When I first got it and swapped to 32:1 mix, I kept tuning at it until it was perfect, But I did get it there, and I haven’t touched the needles since. Always two pulls. It will Pop with full choke on pull #1, and then it fires and runs on half choke pull #2.

Since I’m like brand new to chainsaws. One important thing I have learned since owning this saw, which this may potentially help other new comers. And that is: How the saw felt brand new, and how this saw feels right now. When I cut up my first tree with this saw, I felt like the saw was a little underpowered. It stalled pretty easy, and it bogged down with barely any pressure at all. So in my mind with no chainsaw experience at all, I’m thinking this 261 talked the talk, but doesn’t exactly walk the walk. Shortly after this experience, I swapped to a full chisel chain, swapped to 32:1 ratio, re-tuned the saw, allowed the saw to break in plenty. Now when using the saw, it actually feels like overkill on a tree in my mind lol. It has more than enough power. Just a Day and night difference that I was not expecting. I can apply pressure on the saw, and even let off the gas in the cut with the bar in the wood, and re-apply the gas again and it revvs right up and continues cutting again. This tells me that break-in alone really changes these chainsaws. So my point is: I’ll never judge a brand new saw’s power again lol. 😆 The thing sounds like the gates of hell opening up when buried in some wood. I love it.
Glad to here that the saw is cutting good. You think this thing cuts good, just wate till you get you're first 70cc saw;)

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag