Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
7:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me ask you this, if I added additional oil to the Motomix wouldn’t that work too? That stuff is awesome, and I have a dealer near me that’s not asking too crazy of prices. Motomix is already 50:1 so I could add a little Honda HP2 to the 1 gallon of and mix it down to 40:1 or 32:1.
Unpopular opinion.....but absolutely true. 50:1 is fine in your 261. Don't overthink it. Just run it.

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was able to do some serious cutting today with the saw!

Lightning hit my neighbors tree in their front yard a last week. And split it completely in half. This was a very big maple tree I believe. Anyways, it was about 60ft tall. And it split in half and part of it was just hanging off and laying in the ground. After seeing it like this for about a week, I went over there and offered to cut it up for them.

I bucked while standing using the Stihl 261 and 20” bar, I worked my way from narrows end to the thick end. I got my blade pinched about 3 times, one time it was tough, really had my saw locked in lol. (Lack of experience on my behalf) then I began doing under cuts where the branches were leaning down with tension, this helped so much with the blade pinching. I did not hit the dirt one time, and cut everything up to a manageable size where it could be loaded and their trailer dumped in a pile and burned.

Now, I got to say it. I’m not use to working with a saw and limbing and bucking trees. And there were times I felt like I was gonna die 🤣. This is some serious work, so my hats off to all you tree guys!

I ran the saw hard. It took me about 2.5 tanks to finish this. Also, bar oil goes very fast!! I had the oil turned up all the way. I intentionally left the oiler down low to start, so I could find/see the need for more oil my self, and dial it up accordingly. So after about 15 minutes of cutting I had it turned all the way up.

I had my chain tension up on me once, I think this happen from not lifting up on the bar when I tightened it originally to the power head. So I quickly saw this after I began cutting, I loosened the chain. I like the chain with no slack on the bar, but kinda loose as well. (Not crazy loose)

Just wanted to share my experience. The saw ran great! It was some serious work cutting all of this up. I felt kinda dumb pinching my chain three times in a row, but I learned how to not do that anymore.
Credit to you for offering to help out. Also its the best way to learn is hands on. Pinching a bar is nothing to be ashamed of, everyone using a saw has done it and regardless it stihl happens to the best, lines are always pushed! Learn your saw, its sounds, its ways, you will understand and feel when such is going to happen, but there are times that pressures exceed the best man on a saw, its no issue, you just deal with it if it happens. Remember this- it doesn’t matter what saw you run, run it full throttle for that is the safest

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lightning hit my neighbors tree in their front yard a last week. And split it completely in half. This was a very big maple tree I believe. Anyways, it was about 60ft tall. And it split in half and part of it was just hanging off and laying in the ground. After seeing it like this for about a week, I went over there and offered to cut it up for them.

I bucked while standing using the Stihl 261 and 20” bar, I worked my way from narrows end to the thick end. I got my blade pinched about 3 times, one time it was tough, really had my saw locked in lol. (Lack of experience on my behalf) then I began doing under cuts where the branches were leaning down with tension, this helped so much with the blade pinching. I did not hit the dirt one time, and cut everything up to a manageable size where it could be loaded and their trailer dumped in a pile and burned.

Now, I got to say it. I’m not use to working with a saw and limbing and bucking trees. And there were times I felt like I was gonna die 🤣. This is some serious work, so my hats off to all you tree guys!

I ran the saw hard. It took me about 2.5 tanks to finish this. Also, bar oil goes very fast!! I had the oil turned up all the way. I intentionally left the oiler down low to start, so I could find/see the need for more oil my self, and dial it up accordingly. So after about 15 minutes of cutting I had it turned all the way up.

I had my chain tension up on me once, I think this happen from not lifting up on the bar when I tightened it originally to the power head. So I quickly saw this after I began cutting, I loosened the chain. I like the chain with no slack on the bar, but kinda loose as well. (Not crazy loose)

Just wanted to share my experience. The saw ran great! It was some serious work cutting all of this up. I felt kinda dumb pinching my chain three times in a row, but I learned how to not do that anymore.
The shorter the bar, the more violent the kickback. It takes time behind a saw to train your muscles for it, but never let your guard down.

Firstly credit to you for wanting to help your neighbour's👌 being able to run a saw will give you much satisfaction in helping people out, give it time. Remember this please, run your saw flat out for this along with a sharp chain is the safest they can be, slow chain speed is not, dont fear that throttle, respect is the greatest safety factor well before ppe, i’m not against ppe i am against those that are sold it as the will save you factor when in reality to me the what will save you factor is understanding the damage a saw can do, respect its ability to make your job easier by maintaining it, but respect its dangers. Nothing like a saw that runs well. Also regardless of what saw brand you run- if you are in your mind 100 percent happy with it, its performance, its handling then you will be in a far safer place mentally, using saws that regardless how good they are, if in some way it niggles at you, something you’re not happy with, it twists in the hands or just doesn’t feel right, then be aware you mind is not 100% on the job, be extra careful then, you need to be 100% alert to this take care. Try different things, files, filing, no doubt there is much to learn but many will help, asking questions is smart, refusing to cut when you are indecisive is smart. Give it time, I can see from the few words i have read, you are going to love being on a saw, on a saw you are already looking after because you love your new purchase, credit to you👌
My advice is and this will come up.. dont run 50:1 its for emissions not engine longevity, research is one thing, owning saws that are running string after many decades is another, & i find vallorbe files far exceed the lives of any others, imo. Oh & to throw a bit of colour in the mix, if at all possible, stay open to any brand of power-saw, observe them and maybe try, remember if it feels good in the hands and in mind than its safer on the job. Sharp chains do wonders for all saws, and if there is sap dragging on the sides of a tooth… think why? Try different brands😉
And lastly.. you only really need three saws… the size you have, a tree rat and a 592🤣👍👌 Enjoy what will be years of satisfaction fine tuning a love yet to be

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Leave it alone. If you need more power, buy a bigger saw. The ms400 is even more amazing.
Can anyone chime on sprocket teeth? I’m looking at 325 and 3/8 sprockets with more or less teeth. I see 3/8-7 and 3/8-6 or 3/8-9. More teeth improves the torque and acceleration right? While less teeth would result in a faster chain speed?
On a 20” i’d stay with stick size thats on it

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t think it’s on the rich side right now. Honestly, I revved it a few times and it sounds like 15K or almost dang near 15K (Not sure if a stock 261 can even spin that high) No 4 stroking or sputtering whatsoever. The low speed and idle feel/sound amazing though. I will check when the hour/tach meter arrives today. I’ll probably just tune it to 13.8K maybe 14.0K. Hopefully it sputters a bit at that rpm. I’d rather not drop below 13k rpm. I’ll use some Honda HP2 at 50:1 once the 2 gallons of Motomix is gone.
As long as they are rated ‘Air-Cooled two stroke’ oils😉👍

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I want a 3/8 yellow bar just for the superior oiling hole. If you look at the oiling holes on my green .325 20” Stihl bar. It is just a straight tiny hole. The oiling hole on the Yellow 3/8 bars have that ematic s system, the hole actually is beveled and angled so oil can reach it better and it actually matches the shape of the oil delivery on my 261 power head even if it’s not lined up perfectly.
No matter what bar it is in my opinion the angled as you call it hole is The Best, one reason being that a ninety degree hole can and do allow sawdust to jam back up into the hole and block it, if a bar runs hot, this is one of the main reasons, in high power saws oil viscosity comes into play also regarding heat, heat equals wear.

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Firstly credit to you for wanting to help your neighbour's👌 being able to run a saw will give you much satisfaction in helping people out, give it time. Remember this please, run your saw flat out for this along with a sharp chain is the safest they can be, slow chain speed is not, dont fear that throttle, respect is the greatest safety factor well before ppe, i’m not against ppe i am against those that are sold it as the will save you factor when in reality to me the what will save you factor is understanding the damage a saw can do, respect its ability to make your job easier by maintaining it, but respect its dangers. Nothing like a saw that runs well. Also regardless of what saw brand you run- if you are in your mind 100 percent happy with it, its performance, its handling then you will be in a far safer place mentally, using saws that regardless how good they are, if in some way it niggles at you, something you’re not happy with, it twists in the hands or just doesn’t feel right, then be aware you mind is not 100% on the job, be extra careful then, you need to be 100% alert to this take care. Try different things, files, filing, no doubt there is much to learn but many will help, asking questions is smart, refusing to cut when you are indecisive is smart. Give it time, I can see from the few words i have read, you are going to love being on a saw, on a saw you are already looking after because you love your new purchase, credit to you👌
My advice is and this will come up.. dont run 50:1 its for emissions not engine longevity, research is one thing, owning saws that are running string after many decades is another, & i find vallorbe files far exceed the lives of any others, imo. Oh & to throw a bit of colour in the mix, if at all possible, stay open to any brand of power-saw, observe them and maybe try, remember if it feels good in the hands and in mind than its safer on the job. Sharp chains do wonders for all saws, and if there is sap dragging on the sides of a tooth… think why? Try different brands😉
And lastly.. you only really need three saws… the size you have, a tree rat and a 592🤣👍👌 Enjoy what will be years of satisfaction fine tuning a love yet to be

Chainsaws are awesome, can’t believe I made it to 34 years old and didn’t know a thing about them! This saw is awesome!

I mixed my own fuel today to try something different. Used an unopened Stihl MotoMix 50:1 (1 gallon can), and then I added 41ml of Honda HP2 oil to the 1 gallon jug and mixed it up. So this is now a 32:1 mix with 4.0 ounces of oil in there @the 28inch mac man 😃

IMG_4160.jpeg

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me ask you this, if I added additional oil to the Motomix wouldn’t that work too? That stuff is awesome, and I have a dealer near me that’s not asking too crazy of prices. Motomix is already 50:1 so I could add a little Honda HP2 to the 1 gallon of and mix it down to 40:1 or 32:1. So I can just add 1.4 ounces of oil to each 1 gallon of Motomix 😃 and then have 32:1.

I am gonna try to find some fuel that doesn’t smell like gas. I know this seems silly, but after running Motomix in all my 2 cycle equipment I am spoiled on the fact that it doesn’t leave an odor wh

Chainsaws are awesome, can’t believe I made it to 34 years old and didn’t know a thing about them! This saw is awesome!

I mixed my own fuel today to try something different. Used an unopened Stihl MotoMix 50:1 (1 gallon can), and then I added 41ml of Honda HP2 oil to the 1 gallon jug and mixed it up. So this is now a 32:1 mix with 4.0 ounces of oil in there @the 28inch mac man 😃

View attachment 428636
32/1 there you go! Adding extra oil to the stihl fuel is a good idea. Your saw will run for ever.

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
32/1 there you go! Adding extra oil to the stihl fuel is a good idea. Your saw will run for ever.

Something about this Motomix is just awesome. It’s like putting water in a saw or something. It doesn’t eat plastic, it does not eat rubber fuel lines etc. Since it is a converted Alkylate Fuel and not regular gasoline the sulfur is gone and all the smells that make gas smell like gas are gone too. I just wish there was a way to buy this stuff without the Motomix name on it.

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, if I previously ran 50:1 but now I’m running 32:1 would that mean I would need to lean the high and lean low jet? Or richen those? I have not tested the saw yet with the 32:1.
I like the fact you are contemplating your saws life in advance. I dont own one of these saws but my non autotune huskys and older huskys and stihls wouldn’t need changing, once tuned, done. I see you mentioned watching Billy Ray, he has good well recorded tuning tips, listen, listen😉

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, if I previously ran 50:1 but now I’m running 32:1 would that mean I would need to lean the high and lean low jet? Or richen those? I have not tested the saw yet with the 32:1.
You can keep an eye on your tach, but you shouldn’t need to change it.

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something about this Motomix is just awesome. It’s like putting water in a saw or something. It doesn’t eat plastic, it does not eat rubber fuel lines etc. Since it is a converted Alkylate Fuel and not regular gasoline the sulfur is gone and all the smells that make gas smell like gas are gone too. I just wish there was a way to buy this stuff without the Motomix name on it.
I'm surprised you don't like the smell of 2 cycle fuel. I just love it! Maby because I was brought up with 2 cycles. I would put a pint of 2 cycle fuel in my laundry if I could!

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm surprised you don't like the smell of 2 cycle fuel. I just love it! Maby because I was brought up with 2 cycles. I would put a pint of 2 cycle fuel in my laundry if I could!

I do not mind 2 stroke gas. But my wife is very particular about gas and smoke smells, inside or on clothes. We are moving in to a new home, and I won’t have a shed/barn or anything right away. So I’ll be storing my toys inside the Mudroom in the new house thanks to MotoMix! 😃

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do not mind 2 stroke gas. But my wife is very particular about gas and smoke smells, inside or on clothes. We are moving in to a new home, and I won’t have a shed/barn or anything right away. So I’ll be storing my toys inside the Mudroom in the new house thanks to MotoMix! 😃
Its funny, i have found some brands of petrol here downunder really stink, 98oct, yet others are fine? Smelling bad enough to make one feel off and give headaches on the job!! How do such companies get away with this, I have no idea.

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah now I understand lol. I agree, do all that it takes to make your wife happy!

tps3443

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wanted to add something that I’d done to the saw bar, I used a 7/64 drill bit and enlarged the tiny factory bar oiler hole, and I also beveled it a good amount as well. Now the bar is sealed to the saw, and on the lowest oiler setting, it gets more oil than the highest oiler setting than before 😂.

Wanted to ask about something else. I swapped over to 32:1 mix. Was wondering if this is a normal amount of oil coming out of the exhaust. Ran about 1/4 tank cutting. It looks like it is blowing excess oil in to the muffler and accumulating, then dripping excess oil out of the muffler.

After switching to 32:1, I can lean the low speed quite a bit now, I still haven’t leaned it out as much as it needs. But it’s a lot of oil blowing out it seems.

Saw runs great. I leaned the low speed a little. So it can be revved hard, let off, and it immediately returns to idle without stalling and dropping too much below idle. The idle doesn’t wind back up or anything. So it’s not lean. As for the high speed, it is opened all the way, and saw 4 strokes and hits 13,860 rpm.

Just figured I would ask and see, I don’t want to pack it with carbon build up. In regular 50:1 there was none of this oil under the muffler.

Thanks!

IMG_4206.jpegIMG_4207.jpeg

Last edited:

the 28inch mac man

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wanted to add something that I’d done to the saw bar, I used a 7/64 drill bit and enlarged the tiny factory bar oiler hole, and I also beveled it a good amount as well. Now the bar is sealed to the saw, and on the lowest oiler setting, it gets more oil than the highest oiler setting than before 😂.

Wanted to ask about something else. I swapped over to 32:1 mix. Was wondering if this is a normal amount of oil coming out of the exhaust. Ran about 1/4 tank cutting. It looks like it is blowing excess oil in to the muffler and accumulating, then dripping excess oil out of the muffler.

After switching to 32:1, I can lean the low speed quite a bit now, I still haven’t leaned it out as much as it needs. But it’s a lot of oil blowing out it seems.

Saw runs great. I leaned the low speed a little. So it can be revved hard, let off, and it immediately returns to idle without stalling and dropping too much below idle. The idle doesn’t wind back up or anything. So it’s not lean. As for the high speed, it is opened all the way, and saw 4 strokes and hits 13,860 rpm.

Just figured I would ask and see, I don’t want to pack it with carbon build up. In regular 50:1 there was none of this oil under the muffler.

Thanks!

View attachment 430162View attachment 430163
32/1 should not be causing blow by, but who knows. The newest saw I run is from 1993! You could try running 40/1 and see what it does. PS good work with the bar!

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spooge can be a thing, especially in smart carb saws. It largely depends on oil, quality of fuel, and how hard you work the saw. Everyone here swears Red Armor spooges bad, but at 25:1 I’ve never had a wick of spooge out the muffler. I do run non e fuel with Techron though. Dominator doesn’t leave spooge at any ratio in any saw…