Dumb things your friends do with saws

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
12:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not quite. I was at some races with Hedgerow and Awol. I was fueling my saws and had the bar oil out. Both of the douchebags were watching me. I was just about to pour the bar oil in the fuel tank when i realized what I was doing. I looked at them and said, "You 2 fuggers were going to let me do it weren't you?" There responses were something like "Hell yes" and "Damned right we were!!!" Where are all the good people you guys keep talking about? LOL

TL;DR

Well....

Buddy texts me “are you home?”. Oh no....

The second saw won’t run now. He’s so embarrassed he almost bought another saw to not tell me.

The 026 I gave him actually had it’s carb take a shít. I tried a quick rebuild and it was flooding the saw, didn’t pressure test it.

Stuck a cheap China carb on it for now. Went over with my 261 and did most of the work for him.

And BTW, square chain rocks for work. Great stuff and when you need to touch it up, it takes half as long as roundfile.

Fixed for accuracy

IKR??

Larry Joe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Like last year when I went in and asked Stihl dealer if they had any square chain. Guy looked at me and said he had no idea what I was talking about and said Stihl sells round file chain. I bought in a box and a part number for him. The look was priceless. He was stuck in the 1970s and couldn't get out.
I was in the local Stihl/Husqvarna dealer a few years back, they carry square ground chain, but didn't know it by it's name, they called it "Eagle Claw" chain. The only reason I used to go there is good prices on trade in saws and I bought a couple of NOS General roller nose bars for $12 each, they thought they were obsolete.

raumati01

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My brother loaned his saw to his neighbour and didn't see it again for six months. When he got it back it ran like *s-word so he got the thing serviced , amongst other thing the bar and chain were toasted.

A month later neighbour comes over and asks if the chainsaw is fixed and can he borrow it again?

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh well. Figured I’d start this thread.

What are some choice things your buddies have done with chainsaws?

Of course, there are injuries, but I recently had 2 good friends do some ridiculous things and nearly or totally ruin their saws.

First was my buddies MS250 which he rarely runs and only for small stuff. He brings it over because it gets hot and runs odd. I ask him what kinda bar oil he uses and he says “I mix the oil with the gas, my saw doesn’t need bar oil”. I say, “there is an oil tank there Stevie”. Arguing ensues until he shows up with the saw and a 12 pack. I ask him what he thinks “the front” fuel tank is for, he thinks it’s got two tanks for fuel like some pickup trucks do and that filling it was optional. I made him put reading glasses on and read “OIL sign” on the side.

Yesterday, my buddy asks the dreaded question “can I borrow a saw, mine was running fine and now it won’t start”. One of my best friends actually bought the house across the street from me.

He tells me it cut great, now he’s been pulling and pulling and it won’t start. I ask him “Johnny, what mix ratio of oil to gas have you been using?” He starts to blink. I say “you didn’t put straight gas in the fuel tank, did you?”. More blinking. “My saw has a separate oil and fuel tank” he says. I pull the rope, near zero compression. He thought the saw was oil injected. I asked him if he has ever seen an oil injected saw.

Then it sets in and I ask him to pull the muffler and we get to look at a roached piston. I lend him a saw tuned really fat and tell him he’s not allowed to refuel it, walk up to me for fuel when u need it. I made him buy a gallon of Truefuel E-free 40:1 mix at Home Depot. I figured even at $20 a gallon, it would keep him out of trouble.

Two recent stories. I’ll be rebuilding the straight gassed one this winter.
How do you like keeping an eye on Jerrys kids i been doin it for decades!

jjdlc

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a friend, nor a chainsaw. I picked up a walk behind trimmer last weekend. Thing had been sitting for several years, inside thankfully, and was so covered in dirt and grime you couldn't tell what brand or anything. Got it home and took the pressure washer to it, only to find a nearly new DR pro, complete with electric start and being self propelled, $1000 plus trimmer, and I picked it up for $10, because it was "broke". Little gas in the tank, and it fired right up, couldn't believe my luck, then I got started going over it, and I figured out why it had been sitting.

Apparently the owner decided he didn't like the self propel, maybe it was too fast, who knows. Anyway, he apparently decided to disable it, and instead of just removing the belt, he had taken the pulley off the transmission, and drilled the center out, put it back on, and put the belt back on. So now it flopped around uselessly, and the belt inevitably had come off and wadded up like a ball around the belt for the head. He had also took the drive chain off, but left it dangling around the two axles. And of course instead of getting his $1k trimmer fixed, he just parked it and bought something else.

Just further proof some people have more money than they have sense.

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a friend, nor a chainsaw. I picked up a walk behind trimmer last weekend. Thing had been sitting for several years, inside thankfully, and was so covered in dirt and grime you couldn't tell what brand or anything. Got it home and took the pressure washer to it, only to find a nearly new DR pro, complete with electric start and being self propelled, $1000 plus trimmer, and I picked it up for $10, because it was "broke". Little gas in the tank, and it fired right up, couldn't believe my luck, then I got started going over it, and I figured out why it had been sitting.

Apparently the owner decided he didn't like the self propel, maybe it was too fast, who knows. Anyway, he apparently decided to disable it, and instead of just removing the belt, he had taken the pulley off the transmission, and drilled the center out, put it back on, and put the belt back on. So now it flopped around uselessly, and the belt inevitably had come off and wadded up like a ball around the belt for the head. He had also took the drive chain off, but left it dangling around the two axles. And of course instead of getting his $1k trimmer fixed, he just parked it and bought something else.

Just further proof some people have more money than they have sense.
That really belongs in the "You Suck" thread

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chainsaw Addict

GO HOOSIERS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The dumbest thing they do, as far as most frequently, is to loan them out to complete dunderheads who have no clue about how to run a saw. They almost always come back a complete mess.
I do loan out an MS 250 which will accomplish most tasks. Send it with extra chain and a can of Trufuel and some bar oil and basics. Half dozen times no problems. If it does get grenaded I'm not out much.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like it how anything from a broken starter pawl to a straight gassed siezed P/C is....'it just needs a minor service and carb tuned'.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just had another request to borrow a saw. Daughter boyfriend’s father.

“He knows how to run a saw dad”. Then why doesn’t he own one?

I used the Rich Flagg method, said I came with the saw.