Dumb things your friends do with saws

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never thought of something like that. I always set up saws to start and run great. Now that is a great way to dissuade people from borrowing saws from you - create a cantankerous, loud POS that they would never want to borrow again.
I had the same thoughts for toilet paper...
Got a few rolls of the industrial 1 ply to give away to anyone bumming TP...
They will not be back to bum any more.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The dudes I buy from just told me about a 462R they sold to a guy 2 days ago...it was an online sale to a guy they never saw before.

Before he even cut wood with it his brother wanted to calibrate it and did the WFO with the chain brake on and cooked the whole PTO side.

Stihl actually honored a warranty claim..I was surprised.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are probably counting on the customer to buy more products in the future because of that. Although, how much OPE would they have to buy to compensate for an expensive repair? Toyota used to do this for dummies who never changed their oil.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The dudes I buy from just told me about a 462R they sold to a guy 2 days ago...it was an online sale to a guy they never saw before.

Before he even cut wood with it his brother wanted to calibrate it and did the WFO with the chain brake on and cooked the whole PTO side.

Stihl actually honored a warranty claim..I was surprised.
They are probably counting on the customer to buy more products in the future because of that. Although, how much OPE would they have to buy to compensate for an expensive repair? Toyota used to do this for dummies who never changed their oil.
That is about the dumbest thing I have heard so far - in regards to the Stihl dealer. o_O
No wonder Stihl products are priced twice as high as their competition!
Thanks, but no thanks.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is about the dumbest thing I have heard so far - in regards to the Stihl dealer. o_O
Thanks, but no thanks.

I can't believe they warrantied this... they won't warrantee straight gas which is dumb owner right? Wonder why they warrantee dumb owner burning the PTO side to death...

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
5:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't believe they warrantied this... they won't warrantee straight gas which is dumb owner right? Wonder why they warrantee dumb owner burning the PTO side to death...

If I had to guess it had something to do with shipping the saw in a box, not preassembled with on site demonstration.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks, but no thanks.

I'd say they went above and beyond to keep a customer, gotta justify the price...

mcginkleschmidt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buying a chainsaw
This fellow is looking to buy a saw to cut down some trees in his back yard. He goes to a chainsaw shop and asks about various chainsaws. The dealer tells him, "Look, I have a lot of models, but why don't you save yourself a lot of time and aggravation and get the top-of-the-line model. This chainsaw will cut a hundred cords of wood for you in one day."

So, the man takes the chainsaw home and begins working on the trees. After cutting for several hours and only cutting two cords, he decides to quit. He thinks there is something wrong with the chainsaw. "How can I cut for hours and only cut two cords?" the man asks himself. "I will begin first thing in the morning and cut all day," the man tells himself. So, the next morning the man gets up at 4 am in the morning and cuts and cuts, and cuts till nightfall, and still he only manages to cut five cords.

The man is convinced this is a bad saw. "The dealer told me it would cut one hundred cords of wood in a day, no problem. I will take this saw back to the dealer," the man says to himself.

The very next day the man brings the saw back to the dealer and explains the problem. The dealer, baffled by the man's claim, removes the chainsaw from the case. The dealer says, "Hmm, it looks fine."

Then the dealer starts the chainsaw, to which the man responds, "What's that noise?

motoOzarks

motoMonster
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I loaned my power pruner to my Dad and ended up just gifting it to him when he was done. Still worked fine just didn't telescope anymore. I kinda wanted a Stihl anyways.

I've had bad luck loaning out splitting mauls to people who don't own one. It's a good chance to install that spare handle every time.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
(1) Drive over a 36" bar with a skid loader. Here's the result:
View attachment 196616 (2) Drive over an MS 661C with a pickup truck. Lost the chain brake, outer handle, most of the plastic, and here's the tank housing:
View attachment 196617 Somehow I rebuilt the saw. It runs today.
And here it is today, still in service:
Stihl MS 661 C Repaired.jpg
Sometimes you can save them from the landfill -- not cheap, but nothing is.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
3:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny I came across this thread tonight. cracking up. And holy cow. Today I was in a hurry cuz it was starting to rain and gassed one leg of my chaps.

a guy I know (actually ripped a pine out for him with the deuce recently) went to cut his first tree down by his garage and put the face cut/notch on the wrong side...