Dumb things your friends do with saws

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Donated a little labor last weekend. Older couple in the neighborhood had a large water oak cut down by a less than reputable individual. Left the last 3 ft of the trunk..... where it was hacked to death. Should have taken a “before” pic.
CD01CA99-6EFF-4569-9001-02056F224A2D.jpeg

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. . . I used the Rich Flagg method, said I came with the saw.
"My chainsaws are an extension of ME, You can borrow ME and MY time and I will come with as many chainsaws as I deem necessary!" ;)

IMHO, with the availability of cheap/affordable generic chainsaws (60$ and up) there is absolutely no proper reason to lend out a chainsaw to anyone.

Go help someone with a job that requires a more professional bigger saw, OK - but there is no excuse on earth that will make me give a single one of my saws out of my eyesight, EVER!

From what I have seen helping others with firewood, even those that are famed to know what they are doing handling a chainsaw practice operation and handling behaviour that I frown upon in one way or the other.

What I can't stand seeing is dogging a saw through multiple bucking cuts, as well as not loading the saw properly and let her scream WOT no load for a prolonged period of time.
I know that watching someone operate a chainsaw is completely different than running one Yourself, still I find it most times painful to watch someone run any of my saws!

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Donated a little labor last weekend. Older couple in the neighborhood had a large water oak cut down by a less than reputable individual. Left the last 3 ft of the trunk..... where it was hacked to death. Should have taken a “before” pic.
View attachment 234266

That is the definition of "flush". Nice.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is the definition of "flush". Nice.

Maybe I'm sick or just pushing the envelope, but that looks about an inch too high for me. Yeah, I trim the area around the stump to not connect with the dirt, but I like a stump cut low enough that a lawn mower doesn't notice it. I suppose out in the field it wouldn't matter.

EDIT: I just remember where I learned to flush cut a stump. I took a chainsaw course and our instructor had us show up at a church property where we had to take down and cut up 19 trees. When we flush cut the stumps he told us to make sure that a lawn mower could run over them - I've been doing that way ever since...

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
12:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
"My chainsaws are an extension of ME, You can borrow ME and MY time and I will come with as many chainsaws as I deem necessary!" ;)

IMHO, with the availability of cheap/affordable generic chainsaws (60$ and up) there is absolutely no proper reason to lend out a chainsaw to anyone.

Go help someone with a job that requires a more professional bigger saw, OK - but there is no excuse on earth that will make me give a single one of my saws out of my eyesight, EVER!

From what I have seen helping others with firewood, even those that are famed to know what they are doing handling a chainsaw practice operation and handling behaviour that I frown upon in one way or the other.

What I can't stand seeing is dogging a saw through multiple bucking cuts, as well as not loading the saw properly and let her scream WOT no load for a prolonged period of time.
I know that watching someone operate a chainsaw is completely different than running one Yourself, still I find it most times painful to watch someone run any of my saws!

Have I ever told you about my loaner? Its a PP3516 with an ugly loud MM and the timing advanced way to far.

Watching someone start it before leaving is hilarious.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never thought of something like that. I always set up saws to start and run great. Now that is a great way to dissuade people from borrowing saws from you - create a cantankerous, loud POS that they would never want to borrow again.

Now I have 2 family members and 1 friend that I'll let them run their pick of the litter. They either have saws and might need a biggen or have the cash to cover any damage.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe I'm sick or just pushing the envelope, but that looks about an inch too high for me. Yeah, I trim the area around the stump to not connect with the dirt, but I like a stump cut low enough that a lawn mower doesn't notice it. I suppose out in the field it wouldn't matter.

EDIT: I just remember where I learned to flush cut a stump. I took a chainsaw course and our instructor had us show up at a church property where we had to take down and cut up 19 trees. When we flush cut the stumps he told us to make sure that a lawn mower could run over them - I've been doing that way ever since...

In this case the lawn mower will have to contend w/ the rocks first LOL.
I'm assuming they will remove the rocks now that the tree is gone and it will be nice to be able to run right over that w/ the mower. Perfect.

It is a great feeling to be able to help a neighbor in need when the need is a tree that they can't address. I have a neighbor with a Stihl MS250 I think (is that the "Farm Boss"?) that he's had at least 10 years he bought it for the great ice storm here in New England about 10 years ago. He asked me to drop a large oak for him that was out of his wheelhouse and I was happy to help.

Took the MOFO @drf256 440/460 hybrid and wedges as it had some leaders on the back side and needed a coax to send it down the kid's bike trail and avoid the leach field vent pipe on the right and avoid hanging up in pine on the left. Made a perfect notch and back cut and got wedge in before pinch. The wedge popped out on me after a few blows but didn't panic -- saw was completely pinched in as she sat back. Worked the wedge back in -- tough since getting it started she popped out a time or two more but finally got a wedge back in. Freed the saw, finished back cut to leave a nice hinge and pulled saw and shut it off. About 3 or 4 major blows with the axe and over she went dead center on the kid's bike trail. Neighbor was psyched and realized he would have been in big trouble if he tried to take the tree because he has no wedges and not an MS250 kind of tree -- this was about bar length at breast height 28" diameter and big spread at the base. Gorgeous red oak could have made a lot of hardwood floor with this thing.

He worked on the brush and I worked from the base towards the canopy. We had the whole thing cut up firewood length and processed in 2 hours. I got 2 tanks through the 440/460 hybrid for which I'm working to get tanks through the saw so my neighbor helped me by getting tanks through the saw!

So this was a case where neigbhor needed a big saw but I came with the saw by his choice anyway.

I'm such a dolt I should have taken some pictures...

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice Eric. That things a screamer!!!

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never thought of something like that. I always set up saws to start and run great. Now that is a great way to dissuade people from borrowing saws from you - create a cantankerous, loud POS that they would never want to borrow again.

I used to go hunting with a fellow who gave his one and only rifle to his son and continued to hunt, but never bothered to get a new rifle for himself. So, he would always be calling one of us up the night before opening weekend to borrow a rifle. I decided to fix him, and loaned him my .45-70 with crescent buttplate and very stout reloads. Unfortunately he never fired a shot that season!

old guy

Love me some Husqvarna
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to go hunting with a fellow who gave his one and only rifle to his son and continued to hunt, but never bothered to get a new rifle for himself. So, he would always be calling one of us up the night before opening weekend to borrow a rifle. I decided to fix him, and loaned him my .45-70 with crescent buttplate and very stout reloads. Unfortunately he never fired a shot that season!
I had one a them, if remember correctly 52 gr. of 3031 behind the 405 for 1730 fps was a bit unpleasant.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I loaded it with like a grain under the book max for the Marlin 1895 with Varget and a 340 grain slug. After he was done, I pulled the bullets on that box of shells as I wasn't going to accidentally taste some of my own medicine!

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I decided to see what I could get from a 45/70 and bumped it up with a 420 grain bullet and 54 grains of IMR 2209. Even with a recoil reducer in the stock, a thick recoil pad on the stock and a padded shooting jacket, it was BRUTAL. I may have prevented my shoulder from getting bruised, but I still had to absorb the recoil energy.

That rifle could kill at both ends.

EDIT: My favourite load was a cast 400 grain bullet and 29 grains of 2207 - subsonic! Even being a lowly subsonic round, that big slug would just keep on going and punch through something like a goat. I fixed that by casting the bullet with a cigarette paper in the nose of the mould. The bullet would split into three pieces, two would go off sideways and the last 2/3 of the bullet would continue on. I could shoot it without hearing protection.

Last edited: