Dumb things your friends do with saws

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A climber I did a little work with needed extra help, so he hired this other guy who knows pretty much nothing about chainsaws, who brought his own junky, but most recent version of the 50cc Poulan pro. Anyway, we were short on saws at the time, my 2188 was on my work bench, and all I had was my 2511t, which I didn't want to risk cutting a bed load of brush down with because of the high chance of throwing a chain. The climber only had a weaker 193t, and so I tried the poulan which wasn't much stronger :oops:.

I'm thinkin "this guy's in for a treat" because I had to sharpen his tore up chain, tension it as it was sagging a good inch off the bar, and the tensioner gears kept slipping, I rotate his bar and clean out the clutch cover. It's out of tune and there's so much friction in the clutch/bearing that the chain won't stop, so the extra friction is too much for the engine to idle. So I fire it back up, and the guy's like "woah, how do you start it in one pull?" (I half choked it or something) I'll give him that one, but...

...later he get's to talking and says he has 2 new chains for it, but he can't figure out how to get the teeth to go the right direction (I almost didn't get what he was asking as simple of a matter as it was) so he put the old chain back on. So, I try to explain, not having a loose chain handy, how to flip a chain around, and it goes over his head, so I'm like you just have to figure it out for yourself when you try next time. I felt bad for him

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
5:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0f3c5a59d4ca528b121b2a3fa8f04457.gif

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can’t fix stoopid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Fred it's been a while. How are ya? I definitely need to make a concerted effort to get on OPE more often. Some newer folks I'm seeing here too. Excellent.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oh well... More challenges to fix !

I'm over that. When I was a lawyer I had a number of clients that would constantly show up. Other lawyers called them 'job security', I called them 'f--k ups'. Bad relationships, stupid irrational reactions to common interactions, shooting their mouths off, propensity to crime - Crikey, some people should just be taken out and shot.

The same with OPEs. Hell, I spent an hour and a half with a local bloke explaining how a chain cut and went through his chain, directing him all the way, so that he had a good chain when he finished. Six weeks later she showed up for a another 'lesson' - the cork sucker just wanted me to sharpen his chain for him again. "I can't remember what you told me." - Should have taken notes, d--khead.

Same thing with motorcycles. I wised up after a while and refused to work on dumb a--es bikes. They never learned, they were just parasites. At least at law I could get them to pay up front for my time and effort. - "Oh Mr. Shulze, I crapped in my britches again. Please help me, you know how to wipe my butt and put on a clean diaper, please help me!"

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm over that. When I was a lawyer I had a number of clients that would constantly show up. Other lawyers called them 'job security', I called them 'f--k ups'. Bad relationships, stupid irrational reactions to common interactions, shooting their mouths off, propensity to crime - Crikey, some people should just be taken out and shot.

The same with OPEs. Hell, I spent an hour and a half with a local bloke explaining how a chain cut and went through his chain, directing him all the way, so that he had a good chain when he finished. Six weeks later she showed up for a another 'lesson' - the cork sucker just wanted me to sharpen his chain for him again. "I can't remember what you told me." - Should have taken notes, d--khead.

Same thing with motorcycles. I wised up after a while and refused to work on dumb a--es bikes. They never learned, they were just parasites. At least at law I could get them to pay up front for my time and effort. - "Oh Mr. Shulze, I crapped in my britches again. Please help me, you know how to wipe my butt and put on a clean diaper, please help me!"
Been there when I used to fix computers for people instead of them forking money over to geek squad. I wised up on that one and dodged the parasites.

My neighbors are close knit, we help each other out, and I enjoy keeping their chains sharp on occasion. No parasite probs there LOL. They know I'm the local saw nut and when I help them out they always will bring some beer or home made Irish creme as a thank you. On occasion I'll cash in a favor when I need some extra hands moving something etc.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can understand normal people struggling with chainsaws who have never used one before. But when the clowns at my local dealers who should know better have problems... that really pisses me off. I took a couple rocked chains to a stihl dealer one time. The *f-worder ground almost the whole raker off the chains. Making it utterly useless. Really? Certified factory technicians? Yeah ok. :risas3:

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can understand normal people struggling with chainsaws who have never used one before. But when the clowns at my local dealers who should know better have problems... that really pisses me off. I took a couple rocked chains to a stihl dealer one time. The *frenchie ground almost the whole raker off the chains. Making it utterly useless. Really? Certified factory technicians? Yeah ok. :risas3:
Thinking they would have a grinder that does tooth and depth gauge same time. Configured the grinder completely wrong?

Turn it back against em with reverse psychology Mason:

Tell em the chains are awesome and that you have a funky issue with your saw -- put the chain on and tell him to go out back and make a test cut to reproduce the issue! Join him out back for that event and watch ... Oh yeah, the funky issue is your chain sharpening sucks!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like last year when I went in and asked Stihl dealer if they had any square chain. Guy looked at me and said he had no idea what I was talking about and said Stihl sells round file chain. I bought in a box and a part number for him. The look was priceless. He was stuck in the 1970s and couldn't get out.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I can understand normal people struggling with chainsaws who have never used one before. But when the clowns at my local dealers who should know better have problems... that really pisses me off. I took a couple rocked chains to a stihl dealer one time. The *frenchie ground almost the whole raker off the chains. Making it utterly useless. Really? Certified factory technicians? Yeah ok. :risas3:

I don't look at any of it as being stupid. The average person knows nothing about a chainsaw. Why would they ?

I could make some people feel really stupid if I took them to work with me for a day. Even guys on this forum...

Just like they could make me look stupid if they took me to their place of employment...

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
4:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea. Dealers here just ripping people off by keep replacing top ends too. Never find out why. Or they just don't know why.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It was the second time they did it. The first time I did complain and got a new chain. The second time they did it I was pissed and I just decided to not let them touch my chains anymore lol.