CSM or find a bandsaw mill for hire?

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a couple hickory trees that have been topped by high winds. I know I'd like lumber from them, but am not sure the best coarse of action. I've been contemplating a chainsaw mill for quite sometime, but hickory trees around here grow tall and relatively thin and I'm worried about the amount of waste vs useable boards. Any advice? Anyone know of a bandsaw mill for hire around Davenport, Ia?

First tree is about 18"-24" mid trunk, and the trunk is perfectly straight for the first 16-18'.

2 pics, same tree, different angles.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Second tree is an older tree, that was topped before I purchased the property. I'm guessing there is 6-8' of good solid wood in the bottom and measures 24-30".

image.jpeg

TimRD

Makin' Little Ones Out of Big Ones
Local time
4:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a couple hickory trees that have been topped by high winds. I know I'd like lumber from them, but am not sure the best coarse of action. I've been contemplating a chainsaw mill for quite sometime, but hickory trees around here grow tall and relatively thin and I'm worried about the amount of waste vs useable boards. Any advice? Anyone know of a bandsaw mill for hire around Davenport, Ia?

First tree is about 18"-24" mid trunk, and the trunk is perfectly straight for the first 16-18'.

2 pics, same tree, different angles.
View attachment 29541
View attachment 29542

Second tree is an older tree, that was topped before I purchased the property. I'm guessing there is 6-8' of good solid wood in the bottom and measures 24-30".

View attachment 29544
I just milled a decent sized cherry trunk tonight, about 18-20" and got 5- 8/4 slabs full width and two slabs with half rounds on the bottoms, but they are still usable. I have a 36" Granberg mill that does a great job if you set up the first cut well. Here are some shots of the slabs I milled. I typically stay on the thick side because if.you are looking to net 4/4 finished and mill to 5/4 you have a lot of waste. Nice trees that should make some great lumber. Good luck with whichever option you choose!

d10174a6dc167ade7c1568902333b7e9.jpg

b039626f910d3ba9703ed4302ce891c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Whiskers

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good point, I guess I should figure out what type of lumber I'd like out of them first. For some reason I wasn't factoring in the board thickness adding up to additional waste, but that is a very good point. I think I'll order a grandberg 36" and mini mill and get to practicing. I've got an 084 that's been sitting on the shelf waiting for this day.

TimRD

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Granberg has been great to use so far. Easy to adjust, setup and use, etc. I think you will be happy with it. I just got ahold of an 090 from the classifieds on this site, and I can't wait to put her to work. I have been running a 660 thus far, and it hasn't given me any trouble. I milled some really wide (28" to 30") ash that was pretty dry on Thursday and it was struggling a little. You should have no problem with an 084. I leave the felling dogs on my saw, and that combined with the loss of the mill gets you about 31" with a 36" bar, but you should be well under that. You could always take your felling dogs off for a little extra room if you need it too.

TimRD

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That's what happened to me [emoji4], it is addicting. It's pretty rewarding and I think it's pretty fun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW, especially with Hickory, find a BSM. I am into CS Milling as follows:
394 x 2
30" granberg
Mini mill
Aux oiler
Made some rails
Several bars and chains

And after all that I can maybe cut 200 ft a day. For what I have spent I could have bought a BSM or just had my logs cut a local small mill.

Large logs, especially hard ones, are SLOW and easily in excess of 10 mins a cut. I milled a 32" hickory...it was painful.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Milling harder woods like that is no fun. Best I've done on real hard stuff is 100 bd ft in 2 hours. Wide slabs that were 14-16 bd ft each. I would have done more but I ran out of mix. 2.5 gallons won't last long. Some were 2 tanks per cut at 9' long.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While I owned a Frick circular mill, I prefer a band mill for less waste and better finish. I have had 3000 bf of lumber cut on band mills for free at a local tractor show. The guys doing demonstrations are always looking for wood.

redoakneck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Might be limited on the width on a band saw mill if you want whole slabs wider than 24". If you want stuff less than 20-24", band saw mill prolly better..

I chainsaw mill and keep it thick (2"), and wide (22-32").

Looking into a band saw mill for speed on the smaller stuff.