Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love the finish the diamond burrs leave. But.....the green silicone stones make an even nicer finish.....if you have the patience. I use them at times, but with the wear, and the loading up, they take a back seat to diamond.

I just did two MS460s with a few differences to test some theories, and to be sure all things were equal except for the tested variables, I finished everything with the green stones.

It is pretty......but does that really matter? lol

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok so this may or may not be a useful tip but will give you a different perspective on your transfer ducts. I use an inspection mirror it eliminates the parallax error as opposed to looking through the base

Nice concept. I got to come up with a name for this method. "DYI transfers ?" "DYI porting tip 101?"

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Gotta push to the finish. I had to pause for other things needing my attention.
I knew I wanted to put a larger carb on this saw from the start. The stock carb is a 15mm Venturi walbro HD carb. The common thing to do is swap for a 290/390 044/046 carb and swap the shafts. I didn't like the way this saw was tuning so I wanted to try a good carb to make sure it was running ok.

Tillotson make change carbs for swap outs. I found a new HE-22a on eBay for 40 bucks. When I took the oem carb off I noticed the tilly had a bigger Venturi already. So I measured them both. Turns out the tilly is 17mm from the factory. I hope this is not a fluke. The h and l were both set to 1 1/4. It needed absolutely no adjustment to start and run. Pretty amazing. I tweaked it a little on the low side. I have a vid. I'll link to also.

And you just made me spend $40! There is no more left on eBay for the price either...... It's not your fault but you taking the blame? So the wife knows the situation.:D

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And you just made me spend $40! There is no more left on eBay for the price either...... It's not your fault but you taking the blame? So the wife knows the situation.:D
She won't be too mad for long[emoji12] you off til after the holidays?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love the finish the diamond burrs leave. But.....the green silicone stones make an even nicer finish.....if you have the patience. I use them at times, but with the wear, and the loading up, they take a back seat to diamond.

I just did two MS460s with a few differences to test some theories, and to be sure all things were equal except for the tested variables, I finished everything with the green stones.

I think it does matter, at least on the exhaust side. I've been polishing some ports on saws since this spring with significant effect. This being not ported, just cleaned, irregularity's removed and finally polishing with a green stone. At this point and time I am not convinced polishing the intake to have any great effect. Have tried both ports and just the exhaust and they both perform better than stock. When I look into the intake tubes that are rough on purpose to allow air to grab fuel and take it into the engine only makes me think this might be the right track, was for V-8 engines years ago, but these little motors don't seem to be the same so...

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I think it does matter, at least on the exhaust side. I've been polishing some ports on saws since this spring with significant effect. This being not ported, just cleaned, irregularity's removed and finally polishing with a green stone. At this point and time I am not convinced polishing the intake to have any great effect. Have tried both ports and just the exhaust and they both perform better than stock. When I look into the intake tubes that are rough on purpose to allow air to grab fuel and take it into the engine only makes me think this might be the right track, was for V-8 engines years ago, but these little motors don't seem to be the same so...
Pics of said precious green sillycone stones?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got red ones and green ones that I got with all my grinding stuff. Are they just a different grit?

I'm not sure Dan. I usually just use the diamond burrs.

A few days ago I was studying that 064 jug Dennis sent me. Looking under the transfer bridges I noticed some things I'd missed. So, I wanted to try to replicate his work, and compare that to an untweaked jug done the same everywhere else.

That's when I got the green stones out again.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure Dan. I usually just use the diamond burrs.

A few days ago I was studying that 064 jug Dennis sent me. Looking under the transfer bridges I noticed some things I'd missed. So, I wanted to try to replicate his work, and compare that to an untweaked jug done the same everywhere else.

That's when I got the green stones out again.

And did you learn something?

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Supposedly a ruff texture will flow more than a polished one but a ruff exhaust will carbon faster.

I finish the intake with 80 grit emery cloth on a mandrel,I go to 400 grit with a 1/4" sanding drum on the exhaust and finish the transfers with a 150 grit diamond ball burr,it leaves a golf ball finish
20161215_074957.jpg

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pics of said precious green sillycone stones?

They do turn dark from the aluminum. Clean 'em up with a dressing stone. Working from coarse to fine seems to save time and each one takes out a blemish the last one left behind.

IMG_20161223_121719_205.jpg

Brown ones are a little coarser. Little sanding drum is handy too.

IMG_20161223_121928_655.jpg

Apologies for the minor derailment, carry on with the build thread.