Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
9:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Be careful guys. I know I started to wear my chaps religiously once my chains took on some killer characteristics. Now my saws get the TLC warm up, while I strap on the chaps. I don't want to cut my leg(s) off, but I could in about half a second...Prayers up for this guy's family.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl has had a number of issues over the years due to fuel spray- I haven't heard much on the other brands. It would be interesting to find out what brand/model of saw it was.
Fuel spray from opening the cap right?

And it reminds me of when I was a kids building model cars. It was cold one day so I decided spray painting one in the basement wouldn't be a problem. A few love taps from pops and a lesson on vapors set me straight.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
6:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuel spray from opening the cap right?

And it reminds me of when I was a kids building model cars. It was cold one day so I decided spray painting one in the basement wouldn't be a problem. A few love taps from pops and a lesson on vapors set me straight.

Yeah, supposedly the switch to flippy caps was in part to solve the issue of fuel spray with the screw-in caps but it didn't solve anything. A wild land fire fighter with the Bureau of Land Management was badly burned a couple years ago while re-fueling a 460 due to fuel spray. I think the main issue isn't with the design of the caps but rather the designs of Stihl's tank vent systems, which in a lot of their equipment the vent system is designed to build a little pressure in the tank.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've had a couple saws turn into fireballs on me and I was very lucky to get them out fast enough to avoid injury or damage. They all had cracked, leaky fuel lines, and arcing shorts on either spark plug or ground wires. One pull each and WHOOOOOF!!!!

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My Dad listens to a PA radio station. He heard that a women(I forget her age), a 16 year old and 3 year all died from carbon monoxide poisoning. They were running a generator in their house.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They need to build all homeowner sized generators with carbon monoxide cut-off sensors. If it was a gun that did this they'd all be screaming "gun control"! These things have shown to be just as dangerous..if not more.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
True Dat Jim! Very sad, but common sense seems to be a forgotten life skill.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear you Jim.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
8:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Dad listens to a PA radio station. He heard that a women(I forget her age), a 16 year old and 3 year all died from carbon monoxide poisoning. They were running a generator in their house.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Similar incident here last week. Thankfully not fatal but three conveyed to hospital suffering from CO poisoning. Running a generator indoors...

SteveinUT

Have gun - will travel
Local time
7:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
They need to build all homeowner sized generators with carbon monoxide cut-off sensors. If it was a gun that did this they'd all be screaming "gun control"! These things have shown to be just as dangerous..if not more.

Yep. We live in an effing nanny state now. Inanimate objects are blamed rather than the operator. These morons think if they ban any and everything that could potentially cause harm or death, the world will be a better place. Personally, I choose dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Last edited:

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yep. We live in an effing nanny state now. Inanimate objects are blamed rather than the operator. These morons think if they ban any and everything that could potentially cause harm or death, the world will be a better place. Personally, I chose dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

So they make guns without safeties? Lol.
Anyways, I guess each has their own perspective. Every year entire families are dying just trying to keep warm dude. There's really nothing political about it.