Canned gas

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little now and then is cheaper than screwing up a saw for an occasional user like me, esp. in the heat with bad CA gas.

Here and there sure, but I have no idea how guys burn it on the regular. It's around 20 bucks a gallon here.

The eth free I have access to is anywhere from 4.50 -5.00 a gallon..I even think that's kinda expensive compared to what some guys pay.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
6:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Why?

Just curious. I have not done any kind of careful comparison, but have not noticed any significant differences between any of the major brands.

Thanks.

Philbert
For some reason, my 660, tuned for it, will vapor lock on stumping cuts (30"+) in the Summer, where it doesn't seem to on VP, or any actual gasoline from87 E-0 to 100LL. I haven't tried Sunoco yet, so I can't comment on that one...

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We can got e free gas at 91 octane at the pump in town. I have enough tools, and mowers and so on, I’ll go through the gas with 3 months and I store it in metal cans. So I don’t have too many issues with storage or the gas “expiring”. Is there any performance gains using this stuff though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
There usually is, as it's not actually gasoline, but fuel, and seems to provide a tad better throttle response, and a bit better top-end power.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here and there sure, but I have no idea how guys burn it on the regular. It's around 20 bucks a gallon here.

The eth free I have access to is anywhere from 4.50 -5.00 a gallon..I even think that's kinda expensive compared to what some guys pay.

Around $2.75 here for 91 e-free

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Looks like I was off:

45A7CB8F-AFC0-47E6-97CD-E9D101896777.jpeg

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yikes!!!! I believe it’s also currently about $2.25 here for 91 non-ethanol. It may be a little cheaper across the border in MO.

NeSurcaster

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I store saws w/ canned fuel. I used to run them dry till I had a pro mac 55 act up. It sat for 6 months dry then wouldn't run. Been storing them w/ canned fuel ever since w/ no problems. Either brand for canned fuel, vp or Trufuel

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One more application for canned gas: if you get hit by a storm, it might be hard to find gas, or to get to a place selling it. Keeping a few quarts around for longer term storage is not a bad idea, if it is not something that you always have on hand. Something to grab and get started with. Worst case is that you will use it in a year or two.

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry for the de-rail. But every time I see the name of this thread, I think of this instrumental: guys 'of a certain age' will recognize it.

Philbert

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One more application for canned gas: if you get hit by a storm, it might be hard to find gas, or to get to a place selling it. Keeping a few quarts around for longer term storage is not a bad idea, if it is not something that you always have on hand. Something to grab and get started with. Worst case is that you will use it in a year or two.

Philbert

Exactly why I keep a few "gallon" (110 oz) cans around. My less used stuff like my ps 32 and pole saw get can gas all the time as I dont use them very often.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Philbert

I hear you. I have 2-5 gallon containers of e-free pump gas that I use for splitters and mowers; I try to refill one when it is empty so I always have a full one. I treat my fuel with stabil and seafoam. The gas should be good for 1-2 years; it never sits that long but just saying. I just can't wrap my head around the price of canned gas. I know it is the best option for some people but damn...

MarkEagleUSA

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just can't wrap my head around the price of canned gas. I know it is the best option for some people but damn...
Unfortunately there's no e-free gas here locally. Yes, canned gas is way more expensive up front, but it saves lots of other costs. I love that I can grab a piece of equipment and know its going to run. Time, after all, is money too.

As I said earlier, if I know I have a lot of cutting to do (maybe once a year) I'll mix a gallon or 2. When done, any equipment used gets emptied and filled with canned fuel and run for a few minutes to clean out the lines and carb. Any unused mix goes in the mowers or snowblower depending on season.

Again, it's not for everyone but it does have its place.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yikes!!!! I believe it’s also currently about $2.25 here for 91 non-ethanol. It may be a little cheaper across the border in MO.
I would love to see that here in Maine! I don't think there is any truly ethanol free fuel here, but the Shell and Gulf premium gas is pretty good. I contacted Aspen Fuel (forum ad/sponsor) and the most affordable way to do it is drop $775 on a 52 gal drum which is about $14/gal. Too steep for me with my usage, but I wish I could.

mgr1

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would love to see that here in Maine! I don't think there is any truly ethanol free fuel here, but the Shell and Gulf premium gas is pretty good. I contacted Aspen Fuel (forum ad/sponsor) and the most affordable way to do it is drop $775 on a 52 gal drum which is about $14/gal. Too steep for me with my usage, but I wish I could.
Is there No others alkylate fuel in US? Stihl moto4plus or Husqvarna xp power4 for self mixing?

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is there No others alkylate fuel in US? Stihl moto4plus or Husqvarna xp power4 for self mixing?
That's even more expensive than the Aspen fuel. I can run through a gallon of premix+ on a day I have plenty of logs lined up. My 395xp is a thirsty saw, even more so when I'm milling.