"Blades"

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have a pet peeve about 'rakers', which mostly only comes up discussing sharpening. 'Depth gauge' makes sense, as it controls how deep the tooth will cut. This is something I put together for training:
Rakers vs Depth Gauges.png

Philbert

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have a pet peeve about 'rakers', which mostly only comes up discussing sharpening. 'Depth gauge' makes sense, as it controls how deep the tooth will cut. This is something I put together for training:
View attachment 258799

Philbert
It bugs the heck out of me when people call them rakers, one guy I know call them drags. If you call them depth gauges you are more likely to remember they gauge the depth of the cut, and that they need ayttention once in a while.

I have a couple big old hand saws I'd like to learn to sharpen, they are quite dull.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
4:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh they call them depth gauges here, I call them rakers. And I interchange if I get odd looks. But explain why , rakers is one word, depth gauges is two words and the forma is easier to say.;)
the other day I heard someone say sharpen your chain before we Snead those trees tomorrow. So asked that same someone how there chain cut after he sharpened it.
I got a blank look :eek: so I asked does it kick out sawdust or chips after you sharpened it.
I got the what’s it supposed to do... :rolleyes: I just replied...you just told me how much you know about saws and chains:ambulance:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its not just chainsaws or automobiles. I work in the firearms/firearms parts industry and people come in all the time and ask for this or that for my Smith & Wesson, or my Remington 22, etc. When I ask them what the model is the answers I get are unbelievable. Things like it's a .22, did they make more than one type/model.????? Or it's a pump or bolt action.....

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Them people scare the *s-word out me, if you own a gun and don't know the ins and outs to a tee you shouldn't own a gun

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1:I'm geeetin a nice nu saw..
2:That's great, what type?
1:A new 20" one.
2:Oh yeah, what size power head?
1:It's big, the blade stikin' out the box says 20", it was the biggest one the store had.

Get a lot of that. "I'm looking for an 18" saw." Hey, we can put an 18" bar on any saw in the store.

But guess what? Only a half hour to go and no idiots all day long. :ARMS1:

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you ever watch some of the chainsaw professionals on here make YouTube video's showing everyone how smart they are ?..Geniuses..

Something I seldom do is call people stupid, the reason ? A plumber or an electrician could make make me look really stupid.

Just like I could make them look really stupid if we climbed trees together or framed a house a put a roof on it.

There's guys on here that regularly call people stupid that would get their ass kicked by a 2nd grader in a spelling bee...

Who's stupid ?
You certainly have a point about the plumbers, electricians, etc. They would put me to shame with the knowledge in their field, however, if I'm going in to get parts I'm definitely doing my due diligence to arm myself with the details so they can help me.

"Hey can I get a magazine for my Sig Sauer? Sure, what model? Uuhhh, it's a 9mm. WOW!

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You certainly have a point about the plumbers, electricians, etc. They would put me to shame with the knowledge in their field, however, if I'm going in to get parts I'm definitely doing my due diligence to arm myself with the details so they can help me.

"Hey can I get a magazine for my Sig Sauer? Sure, what model? Uuhhh, it's a 9mm. WOW!

The stupidity is unreal nowadays...but it’s like it’s the f’ng ‘norm’ in todays’ world with a lot of these idiots.

homeheater

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gave my son 1 free pass. He just turned 12 and wants to learn all about chainsaws so I have 6 for him to go through and am going to show him and explain every part and what it does. Should be a great time. He asked me "what size blade are you putting on the 028?" Looked him straight in the eye and said if you ever say that again you are out and then explained it to him.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gave my son 1 free pass. He just turned 12 and wants to learn all about chainsaws so I have 6 for him to go through and am going to show him and explain every part and what it does. Should be a great time. He asked me "what size blade are you putting on the 028?" Looked him straight in the eye and said if you ever say that again you are out and then explained it to him.
Lol...a Dad with a plan!

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its not just the customers these days. I just went into the dealership and asked for a .325 X .050 gauge with 67 drivers. Guy on the counter says what saw is that on and I say it could be on any saw. He then says he can`t find a chain unless he knows what saw it fits on. I roll my eyes I guess and walk around the counter and pick two chains up off the shelf and place them on the counter, then school the dude on how a chain is identified without looking it up on a computer screen. Next came an ordeal for him to find a .325 7 tooth rim sprocket, that took him a tad over 20 mins and only after I pointed them out on the IPL parts on the screen, they did not stock them.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Them people scare the *s-word out me, if you own a gun and don't know the ins and outs to a tee you shouldn't own a gun

I have a gun and I know exactly how it operates and how to kill with it.

The nomenclature and all the numbers and letters doesn't impact use.

There's self proclaimed stihl and husky heads on here that still ask some of the most obvious questions about their beloved brand that have been covered on here 1000x over by regular members, are they stupid.....?

homeheater

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now that's good parenting. What saws do you have to put him through the ringer with?
Started an early Jred 630 last night. Got a chuckle letting him try to get a comp reading. Pulled 175. Jred 590 x 2 one with heat not looked at. Jred 535 needs a piston. Pioneer P28. Homie Super XL. And 2 heated Jred 490 I don't know if I have enough parts to complete. He is going to be busy for quite some time.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a gun and I know exactly how it operates and how to kill with it.

The nomenclature and all the numbers and letters doesn't impact use.

There's self proclaimed stihl and husky heads on here that still ask some of the most obvious questions about their beloved brand that have been covered on here 1000x over by regular members, are they stupid.....?

Them numbers can comeback bite a person if they have an older .38 spl and someone uses +p ammo in it.

And for the repetitive question people, if they refuse to take notes then yeah that can be stupid. Especially since this site has a bookmark system for saving useful info.