"Blades"

homeheater

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm sure the OP was having one of those days. Spending the last 21 years working/managing auto and ag parts departments I can tell you things have really went downhill in that time. Yes, customers are required to maintain the business. However it seems to me society has turned into an I want what I want when I want it and you will give it to me mentality that is difficult to support. If I had $1 for every time I was told just give me the most common one and then got my butt reamed because I sold them the wrong part. Used to be 1 option, now there are 4. Cust brings in part to return with no box because they decided not to use it. Then proceeded to refuse to purchase a part because the box was open and the part may be bad. Expected us to eat the cost of expedited shipping for another one since we did not have one and if we didn't they were going to start buying parts elsewhere. Not just isolated incident. Thinking probably @Spike60 was having one of those days that pushed me off the cliff and had to get out.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm sure the OP was having one of those days. Spending the last 21 years working/managing auto and ag parts departments I can tell you things have really went downhill in that time. Yes, customers are required to maintain the business. However it seems to me society has turned into an I want what I want when I want it and you will give it to me mentality that is difficult to support. If I had $1 for every time I was told just give me the most common one and then got my butt reamed because I sold them the wrong part. Used to be 1 option, now there are 4. Cust brings in part to return with no box because they decided not to use it. Then proceeded to refuse to purchase a part because the box was open and the part may be bad. Expected us to eat the cost of expedited shipping for another one since we did not have one and if we didn't they were going to start buying parts elsewhere. Not just isolated incident. Thinking probably @Spike60 was having one of those days that pushed me off the cliff and had to get out.

Blame your parents and grandparents for the instant gratification issues. It's not like young people created the system we live in today. There are many jokes about 40 something women with bob cuts trying to do whatever they want, a behavior learned from their parents. So really you should talk to your peers and their parents about what went wrong. After all, when a child acts like a turd the parents are to blame, we are reaping what our grandfathers and their fathers have sown. This is what folks mean by the "sins of our fathers"

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
12:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some years ago... I was searching for some old plumbing bits.
I actually stumbled across something of a toilet toilet aficionado site.
Plain, dry, cheerios dumped from the box, seemed to be the most commonly favored medium for test flushes.
I actually read an article many years ago that some Japanese (as I recall?) companies created a standard for comparing flush capacity. They developed a standard 'turd' (?) of uniform dimensions, and decided that tofu had the most comparable consistency to, . . . you know. Who knows, these might be available on Amazon!

Philbert

homeheater

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most all of my coworkers and employees myself included say they gained a whole new perspective once they stepped behind the counter.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It's always someone else's fault.....

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
Some folks just won't accept the blame for their actions. If a whole generation grows up not knowing how to operate a chainsaw, then who's fault is that? The majority of all humans on the planet live in cities, so why expect them to learn how to use a saw in the first place? You reap what you sow, and the "greatest generation" sowed a bunch of seeds and didn't take care of them. If your kids grow up to be turds, who's fault is that?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some folks just won't accept the blame for their actions. If a whole generation grows up not knowing how to operate a chainsaw, then who's fault is that? The majority of all humans on the planet live in cities, so why expect them to learn how to use a saw in the first place? You reap what you sow, and the "greatest generation" sowed a bunch of seeds and didn't take care of them. If your kids grow up to be turds, who's fault is that?

Huh?

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are all responsible for who we are. You want to know something? figure it out. Can't figure it out? Figure out how to figure it out, find someone to teach you, work at it until you get it. If all knowledge is handed down how do we expand our knowledge?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My kids intuitively grasp tech stuff that I will never understand.

I also know only a fraction of of the things that my Dad took for granted.

Not lazy; just different stuff.

Philbert

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We are all responsible for who we are. You want to know something? figure it out. Can't figure it out? Figure out how to figure it out, find someone to teach you, work at it until you get it. If all knowledge is handed down how do we expand our knowledge?
Handing down knowledge is the way knowledge is expanded. The whole reason we got to be in the place we are now is because of handing down knowledge. That's what school is, handing down knowledge teacher to student. If you want kids to know things about things not told in public school then have some kids and teach them. My parents didn't teach me anything and I suffered as an adult for it. The military didn't need me to know anything about anything, so it was pretty easy until I got medically retired. It's not like I had to figure out how to clear a room on my own, an NCO told me how to do it.

A whole generation didn't get this way by accident, this is how we were raised. If you want kids to be inquisitive and think for themselves then you probably shouldn't have raised them in front of the TV and given them smartphones. We didn't give ourselves those participation trophies either.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Handing down knowledge is the way knowledge is expanded. The whole reason we got to be in the place we are now is because of handing down knowledge. That's what school is, handing down knowledge teacher to student. If you want kids to know things about things not told in public school then have some kids and teach them. My parents didn't teach me anything and I suffered as an adult for it. The military didn't need me to know anything about anything, so it was pretty easy until I got medically retired. It's not like I had to figure out how to clear a room on my own, an NCO told me how to do it.

A whole generation didn't get this way by accident, this is how we were raised. If you want kids to be inquisitive and think for themselves then you probably shouldn't have raised them in front of the TV and given them smartphones. We didn't give ourselves those participation trophies either.
Hmmm...I’m a little curious...just exactly how old are you?

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess we're lucky Einstein's Dad (or mother, don't want to be sexist here) taught him the theory of relativity.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As I quote SpaceBus...“The military didn't need me to know anything about anything, so it was pretty easy until I got medically retired. It's not like I had to figure out how to clear a room on my own, an NCO told me how to do it.”

You should’ve gotten a trophy...at some point! I just SMFH at your comment.

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Guess we're lucky Einstein's Dad (or mother, don't want to be sexist here) taught him the theory of relativity.
They did teach him to be inquisitive and want to learn. If they were bad parents who didn't teach him to take an interest in math and science then where would he have been?

SpaceBus

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Exactly as I thought...
I'm well outside the norm. Despite having terrible parents and few positive role models I managed to succeed. Even thought I was a clueless 17 year old kid when I joined the Army, I learned fast and went far. You can learn good things from bad role models if you are perceptive enough. So while I was incredibly good at being a soldier I didn't know much of anything about civilian life aside from racing and fixing cars. In the last four years I've had to learn how to build houses, operate chainsaws, mill lumber, raise animals, and pretty much everything else you need to know to make a homestead without any help or mentorship. Most people do not have the willpower or drive to do something like I have done, but that's because people in your generation raised my generation to be a bunch of lazy, weak willed, impatient fools.