srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use my 2x72 grinder on most everything.
033.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

If I had one of those I'd use it for about everything too.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I have thDSCN0848[1].JPG ree good axes, a double bit cruiser, 5 pound splitter and a single bit feller .These are old enough they really have hard cutting edges and a file won't hardly touch them .The stone in the picture is normally used for touching up the ways of machine tools .It works well for an axe .
The meat cleaver BTW was made by my great grandfather prior to 1920 .It will take an edge about like a straight razor .

WLzM1A

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a hockey puck style wet stone for touch ups. Sandpaper wheel on the side grinder for serious nicks

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
10" angle grinder for rough in, belt sander for semi fine tune, flat file for getting an extreme sharp edge and minor touch ups.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No expert but I just learned a cheat for sharp quick. Get your edge formed with the file first, get the nicks out, then run the file along the edge in an arc so the file cutting lines are 90 deg to the edge. Cuts like those scraper sharpening tools. Almost shaving sharp, maybe a little delicate depeding on your angle, but fast and sharp - ****also dangerous! I have not cut myself but gloves and really pay attending to how you're moving over the axe and what part of the file you are using to keep your hands away from the edge - and don't slip!

aeolian

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a piece of flat granite stone
(along with oil or water ) for my Stihl hatchet ,but regarding my Fiskars splitting axes ,the Fiskars sharpener gives them a nice sharp edge .
8AE24260-6B23-4E35-B082-803AEEF3AA08.jpeg

Last edited:

aeolian

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yikes! That’s too sharp. Hate to trip with that in my hand
I think that splitting axes do not have to be that sharp.Hatchets can be sharper than splitting axes but still no need to be razor sharp.
Carpentry axes may be a different story ,but not really sure since I 've never used one .
But yeah , myself also wouldn't like
an axe to be razor sharp.They are not lightweight like knives or straight razors .A razor sharp axe combined with it's weight ..hmmm...Too much of a risk and without any real advantage .

HumBurner

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that splitting axes do not have to be that sharp.Hatchets can be sharper than splitting axes but still no need to be razor sharp.
Carpentry axes may be a different story ,but not really sure since I 've never used one .
But yeah , myself also wouldn't like
an axe to be razor sharp.They are not lightweight like knives or straight razors .A razor sharp axe combined with it's weight ..hmmm...Too much of a risk and without any real advantage .
Too sharp and they won't split rounds, just get really stuck.