Best axe sharpening methods

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the Ken Onion Work Sharp with blade grinding attachment. Pricey but well worth the money. You could get the same results with a Harbor Freight 1" belt sander at less than half the price of the Work Sharp. All the belt sharpeners put a convex grind on the edge which is more durable than a standard V grind.

img-work-sharp-blade-grinding-attachment-05.jpg

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use a stone they use to dress machine ways made by Norton .For two reasons,one the axes are too hard to file and two the stones are free at work .--cheap is good free is better ----

The double bit cruiser is as old as I am,. My fathers .has the original handle and has never been left outside .Not bad for damn near 70 years old .The splitter is over 100 years old,hand forged ,was in my ex wifes family .Might have came over on the Mayflower for all I know .

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A file and stones is the traditional method and can give as sharp of an edge as you could ever want. A belt sander is a more modern method and certainly gives and excellent edge too. Probably the "best" method is course grinding with a relatively loose belt sander to give a nice, mildly convex primary grind, followed by a final hand polishing of the edge with stones and strop. However, most axes don't really need a razon sharp edge to do work, just a nice, even, solid grind at to a medium grit.

Ron660

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
image.jpg
I sharpen by pushing the stone across the edge toward the butt/poll. Advantage of using a stone, compared to the fixed angle hand-helds, you can adjust to any angle you want. Works good on my Granddads axes they used during their Logging careers. Plus my double-bit edges get different angles.

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use the Ken Onion Work Sharp with blade grinding attachment. Pricey but well worth the money. You could get the same results with a Harbor Freight 1" belt sander at less than half the price of the Work Sharp. All the belt sharpeners put a convex grind on the edge which is more durable than a standard V grind.

img-work-sharp-blade-grinding-attachment-05.jpg

I'd been meaning to show a what the edge looks like after sharpening with the Work Sharp. It doesn't take long to get a shaving sharp edge.
LRM_EXPORT_20171005_152638.jpg

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Using a quick grip or g-clamp fixing the axe face towards you on a bench & a raker file will get a sharp edge on it. I've used die grinders with drum stones, flat abrasive discs, sharpening stones & they all work well......now I use a raker file and do it in 5 mins.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
7:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I do something similar if the edge isn't too beat up I use a raker file but if there pretty bad I use a 16" bastard file then when it's nearly in shape , I file out the coarse fillings with the raker file then wet stone

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

J. Loe

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is nuts.

I read in Beranek a that fallers don’t sharpen their felling axe that sharp as it’s used primarily for pounding wedges, and that a sharp axe is risky in the timber. If you trip and fall on it for example.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i just use a flat file. and run it along the edge like you would use a steel. gets them really sharp and work good