Best axe sharpening methods

junkman

Crush it
Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have a better way to edge these things besides the edge of my silvey chain grinder and a raker file to clean the edge up like i do now ? I get them sharp to cut this way ,but peeling and carpenrty type work would be nice to have a knife like edge .

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They make whetstones shaped like hockey pucks for this purpose. I think Harry Epstein has cases of them on clearance, maybe we should do a group order...

For a knife-like edge, though, I'd sharpen it like a knife. So basically after your grinder and file treatment I'd hit it with about a 600 grit stone. You can go higher if you'd like after that. Just a regular hardware store combination stone would work well if you're careful. I'd put either the axe or the stone in a vice.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
6:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was gonna recommend the harbor freight 1 inch belt sander I have one. It works. eBay has the belts you want for them including the strop

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure if mine counts, but I just use a fine file for my Fiskars X27. Works good enough for me. I'm just a hacker though. And I am not sure what kind of metal is used in the Fiskars, but it is very hard.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Die grinder and round drum style stone works well. Foredom with porting Sanding drum mandrel works good too. But anything that involves sharpening, no matter what hand tool or rotary tool used, results will only be as good as the guy behind the tool/file. You can use your chain grinder and it will work....its just crude & their are better ways IMO.

junkman

Crush it
Local time
3:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Die grinder and round drum style stone works well. Foredom with porting Sanding drum mandrel works good too. But anything that involves sharpening, no matter what hand tool or rotary tool used, results will only be as good as the guy behind the tool/file. You can use your chain grinder and it will work....its just crude & their are better ways IMO.
Chain grinder is fine for spitting axe ,just when doing carpentry type work ,or chopping it is nice to have a better edge than that gives .

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe something like this?

Have one of those, only use the slow wet side, DON'T put an axe to a high speed grinder, it will take the temper out of the steel. A good file will get you down close. I usually sit and watch a movie and hone 'em sharp with an oil stone.

flying pig

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I've used the carbide sharpeners on them and it works ok. It gives you a 'machined' edge.

The 1" belt sanders work good with the right belt. If you use a 15 micron belt it will get things crazy sharp but you have to becareful not to put too much heat into the metal.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use an Artic Fox puck I got from Liam Hoffman. It will repair a damaged edge and make it razor sharp again. Anytime my axe is with me, so is it.
Just check ed the young fellow out...Mighty Impressive.
Sure didn't have my head screwed on like that @ 20 yrs old!:drink9::encama:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just check ed the young fellow out...Mighty Impressive.
Sure didn't have my head screwed on like that @ 20 yrs old!:drink9::encama:
I have a small hatchet from him and a 2 1/2 lb camp axe on order. He is about 11-12 months out on orders. He won the Forged in Fire show once and work exploded from there. I really want one of his splitting axes, but can't justify it to the wife yet! The small hand axe I have will make quick work of softwoods. I cut some poplar poles for a shelter that were 6-8" diameter. It took about 3 minutes each. It only weighs 16 oz. and a 12" handle. It goes in my pack if I am hiking or hunting.