Best 9mm round for concealed carry?

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the compliment. I guess I compensate for poor marksmanship by being a decent caster and reloader. Alaska guide Phil Shoemaker has killed a couple of brown bears with a 9mm. He is an expert on bear anatomy so I'm sure he can put them where they need to go.

Every now and again I load the Hornady XTP in 9mm and .357. I think a JHP is pointless in rounds like .380 Auto and .38 Special. The .380 already doesn't have much sectional density, and if it expands it loses even more. The .38 Special in most loadings just doesn't have the velocity to take advantage of it. The flyweight .38 JHP loads such as 105 and 110 grain suffer from the same problem as the .380 Auto.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the compliment. I guess I compensate for poor marksmanship by being a decent caster and reloader. Alaska guide Phil Shoemaker has killed a couple of brown bears with a 9mm. He is an expert on bear anatomy so I'm sure he can put them where they need to go.

Every now and again I load the Hornady XTP in 9mm and .357. I think a JHP is pointless in rounds like .380 Auto and .38 Special. The .380 already doesn't have much sectional density, and if it expands it loses even more. The .38 Special in most loadings just doesn't have the velocity to take advantage of it. The flyweight .38 JHP loads such as 105 and 110 grain suffer from the same problem as the .380 Auto.

Yes sir...I concur with you 100%.
Speaking of penetration 4 legged critters, I ordered a couple of boxes of this...just in case, I'm threatened deep in the thickests!
I'll do some testing up at @my Dads place this weekend.

This is the deepest penetrating load ever offered in 9mm! This is THE load for the woods in 9mm. The flat point helps to cut rather than move around hard objects such as bone. The tough brass jacket on the bullet helps it to keep its shape. A great backup for hunting, camping, and hiking!
Caliber : 9mm+P
Bullet : Montana Gold Full Metal Jacket Flat Point
Ballistics : 147gr @ 1135fps / 421ft. lbs. from a G17.
Glock 19 velocity - 1120fps.

DBT9MM147FP_1.jpg

index.php

Last edited:

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir...I concur with you 100%.
Speaking of penetration 4 legged critters, I ordered a couple of boxes of this...just in case, I'm threatened deep in the thickests!
I'll do some testing up at @my Dads place this weekend.

This is the deepest penetrating load ever offered in 9mm! This is THE load for the woods in 9mm. The flat point helps to cut rather than move around hard objects such as bone. The tough brass jacket on the bullet helps it to keep its shape. A great backup for hunting, camping, and hiking!
Caliber : 9mm+P
Bullet : Montana Gold Full Metal Jacket Flat Point
Ballistics : 147gr @ 1135fps / 421ft. lbs. from a G17.
Glock 19 velocity - 1120fps.

DBT9MM147FP_1.jpg

index.php

1135 fps with a 147 grain slug? That's really moving even for +p. The crimp on that Honey Badger load looks excessive.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got these in...the ever elusive Federal HST 9MM 147+P.
From what I gathered Federal discontinued these on 2019.
I've only found 2 boxes "reasonable" in 1 yr!!
Only seen about 8-10 boxes.
Strictly EDC & Home Defense!
20210821_171531.jpg 16295845757164630904397267224235.jpg

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to be arbitrary, but why would you carry a 9mm when you could possibly encounter a dangerous four legged animal?
Where I live, we have black bears and the odd Mountain lion.
When I'm in the woods, where I might encounter something that might want to eat me, I carry something in .41M or larger, loaded with soft point or hard cast bullets.
The chances of me having a close encounter with a bear or cat are low but if I do, I want to know that I'm carrying a gun capable of killing anything that bleeds.

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to be arbitrary, but why would you carry a 9mm when you could possibly encounter a dangerous four legged animal?
When I'm in the woods, where I might encounter something that might want to eat me, I carry something in .41M or larger, loaded with soft point or hard cast bullets.
The chances of me having a close encounter with a bear or cat are low but if I do, I want to know that I'm carrying a gun capable of killing anything that bleeds.
Not all of us live in the outback!

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not all of us live in the outback!
Understood but if you're going to be somewhere that's home to animals with big teeth, why carry a weapon that's inadequate for dealing with them?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good question, just staying true to the topic of the 9mm on this post. Although in "my region" with my 9mm CANIK 20 capacity mag 4.5 barrel & 16 inch 9mm carbine and its 30 clip loaded with 147+P hard cast or JHP there's is NO creature I'm intimidated by. Yet, it's all relative to what area I am frequenting.

Now when I venture deep into the thickets... it's at least three of us who are more than formidable and armed with various weaponry, 9mm being the least. Everybody is lethal in my crew, no pillow biters allowed bro.
I always have higher levels of firepower on deck...I just keep it under wraps.

I'm not paranoid, but I do stay on guard for the unguarded moment.
The increased deforestation brings frequent critter visits close by from time to time, but I'm cognizant of that.

On a personal note, my concerns revolve more around the two-legged idiots full of dope & hatred...than any 4 legged beasts. ;)

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I pretty much always have a 9mm or .38 Special side iron when I am in the woods, loaded with hard cast slugs. I think there is much more danger from coyotes, stray dogs, or pill heads than bears here. Black bears are slowly re-establishing themselves here, in fact we now have regular hunting seasons for them. My understanding is that upper south/Appalachia bears are usually on the small side, over 300 pounds is quite uncommon. Even if bears were more of a threat, I doubt I would carry a big bore handgun because I simply can't shoot them worth a darn. I would probably go with a Henry carbine in .357 or .44.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uh oh, looks like another 9mm is going to join my arsenal. I'm a big Browning Hi-Power fan, and have one of the last ones FN made. It only travels between the range and the safe. EAA is now importing a Turkish clone that looks quite functional, gonna see if the fun store can get me one.

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35/

MCP35.png

HuskyHead

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Uh oh, looks like another 9mm is going to join my arsenal. I'm a big Browning Hi-Power fan, and have one of the last ones FN made. It only travels between the range and the safe. EAA is now importing a Turkish clone that looks quite functional, gonna see if the fun store can get me one.

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35/

MCP35.png

Thanks for the heads up. I’ve been after a High-Power but haven’t found one as of late. I passed on a nice one locally 2yrs ago. Kick my self for that one.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm kicking myself for not buying a Hungarian FEG copy in the early 2000's when they were cheap and plentiful. From what I understand they were very well made for the price and most Browning parts are drop in.

Benwa

I love the smell of premix in the morning
Local time
5:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tough to track down 147 grain anywhere around here locally anymore. This is my round of choice for all around general carry & woods use. I hope to hell it never comes to it, but I like the fact that it's subsonic (purely for the noise/disorienting factor) should anything ever go down in close quarters. In theory & I HOPE, I'm more likely to come across goofball critters in the woods, so I like the penetration factor of the flatnose.
20211016_080115.jpg 20211016_080130.jpg 20211016_080151.jpg

Last edited:

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never see any 147gr around here. Its all 115gr or 124gr so i buy those. I don’t see much American Eagle here, its mostly Federal or Blazer. I’ve never had any problem with Blazer Brass.