Best 9mm round for concealed carry?

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Being experimenting with different ammo in my S&W Shield 9mm.
I've got tons of practice ammo, yet still can't find a satisfactory defense round.
What do you guys recommend or use?:camper:

Thanks,
Reg

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like Hornady critical defence but that in my Ruger LCR 357 and Spring Field XD 40. If you get on there site and watch what the 380 can do its impressive.

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a number of different conceal carries between me and the wife.
As such I learned a long time ago to get a box of each kind I want to test and find out what rounds the gun will handle.
Some rounds require a very good ramp from the clip to the barrel. Others because they have the Proper Total Length and are not a Sharp Leading Edge will load properly in a cold or hot gun.

I have 2 Auto's that will only take 1 or 2 kinds of personal defense rounds because the ramp is not as good as the higher quality guns I have.

When testing, I will fire a few rounds slowly... wait a sec or 2 between trigger pulls, if they all fire, the next clip will be in quick recession to allow the gun to heat up and to make sure the round not only Load but also Eject properly.

The last thing I want to happen in a bad situation is to find out the rounds I have loaded will only let me fire off 1 or 2.....

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I like critical duty +p, federal hst 124 grain +p and the 147 grain Hst. From looking at ballistics tests they all seem to be very solid consistent performers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yup usually the best answer is whatever your gun feeds everytime. HST isn’t always the best in every gun because of the wide hollow point but it is basically the new standard for 9mm to me. I use Hst for summer and the critical duty for winter due to the critical duty being less likely to get clogged with heavy clothing. And the fact that I think critical duty was the closest in speed of any bullet that tnoutdoors9 rested on YouTube. I think it was less than 20fps difference in all the critical duty he tested meaning very predictable results every time

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My standard do everything 9mm load is a 124 grain plated flat point over 3.8 grains Titegroup for a very consistent 1024 fps out of my Glock 19. It clocks a little less out of the Glock 26, a little more out of the Browning Hi-Power. Easy to shoot, accurate, sure functioning, and the flat point does more damage than you might think.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My standard do everything 9mm load is a 124 grain plated flat point over 3.8 grains Titegroup for a very consistent 1024 fps out of my Glock 19. It clocks a little less out of the Glock 26, a little more out of the Browning Hi-Power. Easy to shoot, accurate, sure functioning, and the flat point does more damage than you might think.
I like the way you think.

Last edited:

Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup usually the best answer is whatever your gun feeds everytime. HST isn’t always the best in every gun because of the wide hollow point but it is basically the new standard for 9mm to me. I use Hst for summer and the critical duty for winter due to the critical duty being less likely to get clogged with heavy clothing. And the fact that I think critical duty was the closest in speed of any bullet that tnoutdoors9 rested on YouTube. I think it was less than 20fps difference in all the critical duty he tested meaning very predictable results every time

Its a damn shame he quit making video's. Heck you've been around awhile just knowing about his tests.

tp2177

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Its a damn shame he quit making video's. Heck you've been around awhile just knowing about his tests.

Haha yeah I got really serious about self defense around 6-7 years ago when I turned 21 and could legally carry. I miss his videos too wish he was still doing them to test out some of these very new rounds like the Ruger arx and strange rounds like that.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm all about the 147gr for these after the gov test was run. Feds turned in 40s and we did too at state level. The new 9mm 147gr new rounds in 9 sweet

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This is what the state went to for issue. Winchester

At home I use Hornady XTP 147gr