Best 9mm round for concealed carry?

Muad

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Big fan of the Hornady Critical Defense/Critical Law Enforcement rounds in 9mm. They are odd bullet weights when comparing to "typical" 9mm projos, but they perform well in gel and seem to shoot well.

I also like Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, Speer Golddots, etc. You really can't go wrong with any of the current expanding projos on the market.

HuskyHead

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Uh oh, looks like another 9mm is going to join my arsenal. I'm a big Browning Hi-Power fan, and have one of the last ones FN made. It only travels between the range and the safe. EAA is now importing a Turkish clone that looks quite functional, gonna see if the fun store can get me one.

https://eaacorp.com/product/girsan-mc-p35/

MCP35.png

Well I’ve never had an EAA but I do know I would much prefer this I believe over the EAA. Especially for a Hi-Power clone.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/sa-35-series-handguns/sa-35-handguns/

Muad

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finally got around to trying my favorite load in the Taurus G3C: 3.8 grains HP-38, Arsenal Molds 358-130-RF, W-Wprimer at 1.070 OAL. Turns out the pistol really likes this load, at least as much as anything else I have tried in it. This load clocks 1020 fps in my Glock 19 so I would guess 940 or so out of the Taurus barrel which is an inch shorter.

I have to say, the late model Taurus products are really growing on me. My 856 and G3C are really nice guns and haven't let me down yet. Kind of tempted to get a G2C next just because. I would cherry pick it from the stock room, seeing which one would plunk a lead bullet round the best.

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Always been a big fan of Federal 9mm 147+p JHP, yet they are discontinued & the available boxes are going north of $145 plus shipping!! icon_eek.gif
Found some Underwood 9mm Luger +P 147gr. JHP on Midway. My first time ever seeing these in a while.
The spec sheet on these is incredible --- 1125 FPS & 413 Muzzle energy.
Does anyone have experience with this ammo?
Looks like Nosler is involved with the production of these.
https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-p-147-grain-jacketed-hollow-point.html

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Guys,

Always been a big fan of Federal 9mm 147+p JHP, yet they are discontinued & the available boxes are going north of $145 plus shipping!! icon_eek.gif
Found some Underwood 9mm Luger +P 147gr. JHP on Midway. My first time ever seeing these in a while.
The spec sheet on these is incredible --- 1125 FPS & 413 Muzzle energy.
Does anyone have experience with this ammo?
Looks like Nosler is involved with the production of these.
https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger-p-147-grain-jacketed-hollow-point.html

Not familiar with that particular load. But underwood makes a kick azz product. You can shoot any other company side by side with them and underwood will out perform. My 10mm is a extremely different animal when using the full power underwood ammo. Same goes for every other comparison I have come across.

Only exception is their flyweight bullets. Those are wild to shoot.

I've pretty much switched all my personal protection ammo to them. They perform and are very reasonable compared to some other companies. Added bonus. If you are former military or law enforcement. You can buy directly from them at a discount. I am neither so I have to pay full price :( always check midway before ordering though. I bought my last ordering through them and it was $8 a box lower. For the same product. :)

Steven

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great comments Steve.
I am a former Military, yet I didn't have my ID handy...I'll go back and register.
That's pretty NUTZ to have a 9mm 147 gr +P JHP rolling at 1125 FPS & with over 400 lb of muzzle energy!

The Federal does 1050 FPS & 360 muzzle energy and it is downright nasty!!
I've looked @ Underwood for well over a yr...and this is the first order with them.

Thanks for the encouragement mate!!

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great comments Steve.
I am a former Military, yet I didn't have my ID handy...I'll go back and register.
That's pretty NUTZ to have a 9mm 147 gr +P JHP rolling at 1125 FPS & with over 400 lb of muzzle energy!

The Federal does 1050 FPS & 360 muzzle energy and it is downright nasty!!
I've looked @ Underwood for well over a yr...and this is the first order with them.

Thanks for the encouragement mate!!

No problem. They won't disappoint. If you want something for kicks and grins try some of their .357 hardcast if you have a wheel gun. Or any of their hardcast for that matter. It's some mean chit.

Steven

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No problem. They won't disappoint. If you want something for kicks and grins try some of their .357 hardcast if you have a wheel gun. Or any of their hardcast for that matter. It's some mean chit.

Steven
WOW!!
Bro...I had a box of the 147 gr hardcast loaded in my basket...and deleted it!
Wuz thinking bout all these blk bears & coyote packs around here!:eek::chatter:

BTW...is it comparable to the Buffaloe Bore hardcast legends?:cunaooooo:

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi fellas. My friend just inherited a Browning hi power from his late father. It is made in Belgium, came with a few boxes of Remington shells. He thinks his dad may have put 50 or so rounds through it since new. Purchased some time in the early 80s. It looks beautiful! He is asking me about keeping it for a concealed carry or if it would have any collector value & selling it might be a smarter move & replacing it with something more compact in a 9mm. Any thoughts? It looks rather large & heavy to me for a concealed carry but it is a beautiful gun. I can probably get some pictures. Thanks.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi fellas. My friend just inherited a Browning hi power from his late father. It is made in Belgium, came with a few boxes of Remington shells. He thinks his dad may have put 50 or so rounds through it since new. Purchased some time in the early 80s. It looks beautiful! He is asking me about keeping it for a concealed carry or if it would have any collector value & selling it might be a smarter move & replacing it with something more compact in a 9mm. Any thoughts? It looks rather large & heavy to me for a concealed carry but it is a beautiful gun. I can probably get some pictures. Thanks.
I wouldn’t sell it for nothing. Tell him to keep it…Belgium made is where it’s at when it comes to Brownings. Way too many decent conceal carry 9mm’s out there right now for ballpark $300…don’t have to spend $500-600 to get a decent, high capacity carry gun nowadays unless you just want to.

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn’t sell it for nothing. Tell him to keep it…Belgium made is where it’s at when it comes to Brownings. Way too many decent conceal carry 9mm’s out there right now for ballpark $300…don’t have to spend $500-600 to get a decent, high capacity carry gun nowadays unless you just want to.
Thanks for the reply. I will pass that onto him.if he asks do you have any idea what makes them so valuable? Also do you have any specific recommendations for a decent 9mm for everyday carry. Thanks!

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. I will pass that onto him.if he asks do you have any idea what makes them so valuable? Also do you have any specific recommendations for a decent 9mm for everyday carry. Thanks!
I’ll PM you some info on the Hi-Power as well as some recommendations later on this morning to give to him.

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WOW!!
Bro...I had a box of the 147 gr hardcast loaded in my basket...and deleted it!
Wuz thinking bout all these blk bears & coyote packs around here!:eek::chatter:

BTW...is it comparable to the Buffaloe Bore hardcast legends?:cunaooooo:

I would say it's very comparable. I don't think they have a load so hot as it can't be shot in fluted cylinders though. I remember buffalo had one line just for single shot and solid cylinder guns. I dunno if they still make it. Never tried it. Didn't want to explode my wheel gun.

Edit: Checking or replacing your recoil spring might be wise if you haven't in a while. Their loadings are stout and will over power a weak spring. Full size glock 17 can run a stronger wolf spring without issue. 20lb comes to mind but not positive. Been a long time since I've been that deep into guns/ shooting.

Steven

Last edited:

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would say it's very comparable. I don't think they have a load so hot as it can't be shot in fluted cylinders though. I remember buffalo had one line just for single shot and solid cylinder guns. I dunno if they still make it. Never tried it. Didn't want to explode my wheel gun.

Edit: Checking or replacing your recoil spring might be wise if you haven't in a while. Their loadings are stout and will over power a weak spring. Full size glock 17 can run a stronger wolf spring without issue. 20lb comes to mind but not positive. Been a long time since I've been that deep into guns/ shooting.

Steven
Great Intel!!
Thanks

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The monetary value is meaningless
It can never be replaced.
Tell him to Put it in a safe
He won't regret it.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

No, that wonderful heirloom pistol should only travel from safe to range and vice versa. If he is itching for a BHP carry piece, Springfield is coming out with a new one soon. Remember, if you have to actually use a carry gun there is a 99.9999999% it will be held as evidence even in a totally justifiable incident. Sometimes a case can go through a couple of grand juries before it finally gets dismissed. Some agencies will not release a gun without a court order, and it's certainly not unheard of for evidence to get "lost".

Stevetheboatguy

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well..... I wish I could remember what these are. Have a couple zip lock bags from a long azz time ago. Believe they are 115gr Winchester or 115gr federal. All I remember is the weight and they were in a black box. Long time ago give me a break......

They grouped well when I had my ruger's. And do the same in my g3 now.

Had to save my wife&kids dog the night before last. Wasn't sure what the commotion was about, so I tossed the g3 in my back pocket to go investigate. Found him getting all tangled up with a big arse coon. I put one into the belly of the coon from 25ft and another the back of the head as a mercy. Have to say they are a mean round. Turned the poor coon to jelly.

Sorry if that's too graphic. But it's what most want in a pd round. Reliability, accuracy and terminal performance.

1120211346.jpg

Steven