High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

anyone using amsoil dominator in there saws?

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was hesitant to even ask this. But I have several bottles for the sled and I like it however i wasnt sure how it would do in these small engines. I am getting ready to fill a few gas cans with mix and thinking of using this since its good oil and like I said i already have several bottles laying around. So will this be fine to run in the saws? Anyone been running it in there saws?
Just don't try and mixing it it at 100:1 mix it 40:1 and you should be fine.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
2:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That test is what got me to try H1R. After using it to mill the smell and not being able to richen some saws up enough since the oil doesn’t burn in 99% of the saws use I quit using it. It did work great as burr and drill bit lube.

I had issues with L side jetting with H1R, everything wanted to run lean.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
http://wdarc.org/articles_files/2 stroke Oil Test.pdf
i did find a interesting test of some oils including the amsoil saber and dominator here you guys go.
http://wdarc.org/articles_files/2 stroke Oil Test.pdf

Same guy also says:

"Oil Ratios

There's only one reason for running lean oil ratios. You're effin lazy and don't like cleaning the bottom of your plane. Why would anyone want to use less lubrication when more has always been better? I suppose there are other activities best done wet that you would like to try dry as well...She will hate you for it.
50-1 is about as lean as you want to go. The engine still stays relatively clean and cool when tuned correctly. Lean oil mixes do strange things to the chemical makeup of oils when they get hot. Hard carbon, ash, glazing, all kinds of things you don't want or need. 32 to 50-1 works for everything. They run smoother, cleaner, stronger, and last longer. "

rocco490

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have heard 50 to 1 is really for epa not best engine protection. I have wondered though if running too rich say 20 to 1 or 25 to 1 would cause carbon build up over long term. With lower performing oils of the past maybe they needed the rich oil ratio for proper lubrication but with decent modern oils Im not sure anything richer than 32 to 1 is beneficial. I had been mixing stihl ultra at 40 to 1 seemed to work okay but I wanted to just run the dominator in everything since I had several quarts of it and i thought it would be a great oil but now I am wondering if I should run something different for the sled and all the power equipment. This thread was very helpful I believe the amsoil dominator is good oil but theres probably better options I hadnt considered.......

Last edited:

frankjames1900

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I use 4 oz. of klotz benol mixed with 4 oz. Of Amsoil dominator + 2 oz. of nitro. Add 2 gallons of Sunoco 98 octane unleaded race fuel. Never any problems and never any mosquitoes in the vicinity.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Group 1,2,3 mineral base oils will have great corrosion protection as inherently mineral oil won't attract moisture like synthetics do. Group 4 & 5 base stock oils being synthetic/ester bases won't naturally protect internals from corrosion. I say if you insist on synthetics or oils comprised of group 4 & 5 base stocks have a good mineral oil you can switch to at the end of the season prior to putting the 2T into storage.
This is super interesting. So synthetics work better at protecting moving parts but don’t have the natural rust inhibition qualities of mineral based oils? Would that be why Echo choosed Semi-Synthetic for Red Armor?

Ittybittyfitty

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought in eggshooter's testing the Dominator performed the best??

ayoungtexan

I tell a lot of lies
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I use Dominator at 50:1 in all my equipment with no issues

JRHAWK9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:05 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It did. Only issue with it is the lack of a fuel stabilizer

What oil do you and Scott like? I've been using H1R for quite a few years now and I will need to pick some more up soon. Was planning on going with H1R again, unless there's something better. I like the clean burn and nice oil film H1R leaves on everything. I run 32:1.

BTW, you are not too far from a friend of ours who lives in Alanson. We have been up there a handful of times over the 4th to watch the fireworks in Petosky.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What oil do you and Scott like? I've been using H1R for quite a few years now and I will need to pick some more up soon. Was planning on going with H1R again, unless there's something better. I like the clean burn and nice oil film H1R leaves on everything. I run 32:1.

BTW, you are not too far from a friend of ours who lives in Alanson. We have been up there a handful of times over the 4th to watch the fireworks in Petosky.
Yep. Half hour north of me. I’m still using Dolmar synthetic. I’d use the Dominator if I didn’t leave fuel laying around. Schaeffers 7000 seems to be a good balance being a semi synthetic. If it’s available locally.or saber.