High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Anyone okay with tool-less chain tensioner?

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Makita EA3601F is one that has a tool-less chain tensioning gizmo. Other manufacturers use it, too. Designed for the consumer market. With an otherwise good saw, is there anyone that has no problem with these methods of tensioning instead of the traditional two bolts/nuts and adjusting screw? I have never used one. Are they cumbersome to use? If so, that seems odd, since they are supposed to make it easier for Joe Homeowner to keep proper chain tension. Or do they fail or just what? Or are they fine?

KYsawman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have it on a MS180 and it works like it should. Stihl has used it from somewhere around 2001. I remember it coming out when I worked at a dealer. I think the husqvarna version is a little more flimsy on the two series saws, never got to try it on a four series . I think in Europe you can even get the MS261 with it as an option.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 42cc Craftsman that has it. I don't like it. It has a thumb wheel to tighten the chain. I can't get it as tight as I want it unless I use the screwdriver end of a scrench to turn it. The locking part works fine, it's kinda like a big flippy cap.
The traditional way is much better.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 42cc Craftsman that has it. I don't like it. It has a thumb wheel to tighten the chain. I can't get it as tight as I want it unless I use the screwdriver end of a scrench to turn it. The locking part works fine, it's kinda like a big flippy cap.

Had an extremely reliable and well running 42cc Craftsman with the tool-less cover and "EZ Adjust bar". Was going to keep it as a cheap loaner, but the tenion system pissed me off enough to get rid of it.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a homeowner saw maybe? Not a big saw or my firewood saw even if I used a 50cc saw! I had a ms270 with it. I didn't really like it. Seemed to loosen faster than a normal bar nut set up. But if you like on 1/4 acre and just cut the random branch or bush down I don't see why it wouldn't serve you well.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I took that flippy tensioner off and got one nut to fit on the one I have.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I took that flippy tensioner off and got one nut to fit on the one I have.
Does it still have the thumbwheel? That's the part I don't like. The flipping part works fine.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it still have the thumbwheel? That's the part I don't like. The flipping part works fine.

Yes. Mine would never stay tight until I added a nut.

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have MS-250 & an updated Poulan version on a 47cc. The last comment on a sharp chain plays a big part in these outfits working as designed.

I put the metal adjuster gears in the Poulan and got rid of the 20” .325 for a 16”. Made a nice little saw that works as designed.

This is the 3rd Stihl that I’ve had like this and all have been ok.

Guys that run saws a lot don’t need this stuff, but homeowners with occasional usage might like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not a fan of the ones on craftsman saws, and getting it back together on a stihl 180 was a huge pain from what I remember. Just not worth it. Stick with the nuts and tension screw.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got it on a 450 Husky, works great. If the chain needs a bit more tension, then just tighten it up, no need to look for a sqrench. It works so well that I wish I had the same system on all my saws.

I suppose it is like most new ideas, there needs to be a period where the bugs are worked out. The better designs will win out and in the future people may wonder why anyone carried a separate wrench around with them and had to worry about loosing bar nuts.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found that chain tightness is directly related to how sharp you keep your chain.
I like mine tight and sharp.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had a saw with it & kinda avoided buying that feature but I must say when you have a cold fresh chain going into hardwood it normally needs to be adjusted after a bit when the chain warms up, having that feature would make short work of it.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had a saw with it & kinda avoided buying that feature but I must say when you have a cold fresh chain going into hardwood it normally needs to be adjusted after a bit when the chain warms up, having that feature would make short work of it.
An it would make it a frequent task if your actually cutting any real amount or quantity of wood.

I would never have any of the current designs I have messed with on a firewood saw!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Beavis331

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had a ms210 with that. Never would stay tight.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder if the reason they can come loose is that the nut doesn't have as much leverage on it as a sqrench can give it. If so, then they should develop a longer fold out lever to give it that extra leverage.

jjdlc

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Stihls I've used with it have been ok. The Poulan/Craftsman ones seem to be hit or miss, most of the time, the thumb screw likes back off as far as it can, so when you need to tighten the bar you end up having to turn it a mile to get anywhere.

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
got a stihl 180c works good. proly hard to over tighten the chain on it. proly not something i would care for on a bigger saw. my 2 cents.