TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
3:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe, I have to say...you're doing excellent work, providing clear and consice information without bias, and giving us your time and energy. Thank you so much for all your hard work. Our enthusiast community is not the largest, but I feel like I speak for all of us when I say...Thank you. Very cool stuff going on here!

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joe, I have to say...you're doing excellent work, providing clear and consice information without bias, and giving us your time and energy. Thank you so much for all your hard work. Our enthusiast community is not the largest, but I feel like I speak for all of us when I say...Thank you. Very cool stuff going on here!
Amen brother!

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Video kind of stops mid stream at the end. But nice job Joe. Stihl 500i FTW. LOL

Yeh, I dropped the ball on the 500i/7901 graph... so I improvised lol

It does drop flat because I forgot to push record, figure it was already covered in the other graph and report.

I need to plan out a better ending anyway.

You are part of the 20% that makes it to the end and I appreciate that.

Thank you

Wanab

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Joe! This is the test I have been waiting for. Weight of the 500i caught me off guard. The stigma out there let me to believe it was lighter than the Dolmar. When you tuned the Dolmar where you into the limiter?

Wanab

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Solo is the same way. Like a bit past the limiter, and the power difference is significant
The saw is a bit tricky to tune. Most of my saws are strongest right when they come off of 4 stroking in the cut. The 7900 continues to pick up and the plug reading indicates that. I tune until it just kisses the limiter and bump the screw 1 more time. Mine is no base gasket and lowers matched to case.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great stuff Joe, as usual. The 462s still really impress me (creating the same power as heavier saws at RPM), and you will clean the air filter a lot less often than a 500i. or 461.

Mine are both ported, and I run a 20" on one and 24" on the other ... perfect IMO.

The light weight and instant throttle response also makes them great for liming, so it is a true all around saw.

Wanab

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the higher 13x coil. I tried a few different tunes no huge change.
Yes I am on the 13,500 coil as well. Tuning to around 13.800-14,000 I am guessing. If my memory serves correct it made no more power than the SLR version.

Last edited:

Wanab

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great stuff Joe, as usual. The 462s still really impress me (creating the same power as heavier saws at RPM), and you will clean the air filter a lot less often than a 500i. or 461.

Mine are both ported, and I run a 20" on one and 24" on the other ... perfect IMO.

The light weight and instant throttle response also makes them great for liming, so it is a true all around saw.

They seem to hold better RPM in the cut and the dyno shows why.