Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something tells me Wolverine enjoys twins as well. Instant torque and low revs are nice but occasionally true power is nice too. I ended up with a multistrada, other being an obnoxious Italian B it a fantastic jack of all trades as long as your tall enough to ride.

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He's being very general. If we get too technical this discussion dies.

He was standing at a black board with engine diagrams talking about how combustion chamber dimensions, combustion speed, piston speed and stroke effect torque, I would say he was trying to make very specific statements, that I don’t agree with, unless the situation is very extreme.

I am very aware that my post was annoyingly over the top, it’s embarrassing, but this person didn’t focus on power delivery, just torque, and his own examples didn’t even back his point.

I agree about not wanting a street bike buzzing in my ear, but if we ignore that, and many do, This short stroke bmw machine makes 83lb-ft from 999cc, and delivers approx 73ft-lb+ from 6000 to 14000rpm, that’s a lot of useful rpm.

I just don’t see examples of long stroke engines making significantly more torque (per displacement) than square or short, I am however very open to being shown such 4t engines tuned for torque making more per displacement, but only if naturally aspirated, I am happy to say long stroke engines are more suitable for making torque, but not necessarily better at it.

I overlaid the long stroke Harley 1200 against the 999cc Bmw and ~1100cc Ducati, yes I know its a ridiculous comparison, the engines are in different states of tune, the bikes are ridden in completely different fashions, are made for different purposes and many other reasons, however, and especially for the Ducati, consider riding the bike from 4K to 14K rpm, the available torque is notably similar to the Harley between 2K and 5K rpm.
B6JS374BKUCVLU6OEMM5NZK4ZQ.jpg
Below the BMW s1000rr comparison, a super short stroke, 17% smaller engine, ~999cc vs ~1200cc
Dyno 2.jpg
I am not meaning to compare the raw performance of these engines, that would be crazy, I am just pointing out the similarities in torque output for each engine, while a bit bumpy, the range of 5K to 14K rpm for the BMW and the usable range of the Harley are comparable for torque output, while there designs are worlds apart.

Worth noting that considering the RPMs these bikes will be ridden at, they will both have similar instant engine torque available without shifting.

Anyway, back to two strokes, I will agree a square two stroke might have the edge over a super short one due to exchange/scavenging, but we don’t have those in the modern saw game, we might call a saw long or short stroke, but they are both short stroke really.

Related question, does anyone have a Dolmar 9000, are they good on fuel?

Last edited:

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back to 70cc class saws (saws that are UNDER 80cc)

Crazy how unconventionaly different the saw modifiers hone in on porting specifics for the Dollmar 7910 compared to the 500i ................yet they are about the exact same displacement

Has anyone else noticed this ?

Last edited:

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just don’t see examples of long stroke engines making significantly more torque (per displacement) than square or short, I am however very open to being shown such 4t engines tuned for torque making more per displacement, but only if naturally aspirated, I am happy to say long stroke engines are more suitable for making torque, but not necessarily better at it.

Most Harley owners don't have a sportster. Most have a dyna or a soft tail, which I might add even new cost less than many Ducatis. To explain the torque thing, you have to show the torque curve on one of these soft tails.
A low rider soft tail with just some exhaust and a programmer will do 110ft lbs of torque from 1.5K RPM(and 100 ft lbs at 1K rpm) up to 4K rpm. It 'only' has 88 HP.
But that HP only comes in handy for passing. You aren't carving canyons with a cruiser. You are cruising. I rarely take my Dyna above 4K unless I am passing.
The magic of having a huge stroke is your engine now produces more torque at 1,000RPM than most other bikes have at maximum. It means you can load your Harley
up with all the guns and drugs you need for an extended weekend for fun and sales.

I was also looking at one of these not long ago. Problem is, my feet didn't even touch the ground :(

165020503.jR1IvJm7.jpg

Nothing sounds quite like a Duc with Termignonis on it.

Red97

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Crazy how unconventionaly different the saw modifiers hone in on porting specifics for the Dollmar 7910 compared to the 500i ................yet they about the exact same displacement

Example?

So we can go down the right path. Lol

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Crazy how unconventionaly different the saw modifiers hone in on porting specifics for the Dollmar 7910 compared to the 500i ................yet they about the exact same displacement

Extracting the best of someone else's design, always a challenge, it's like someone has already set secret rules that you don't know, each will require a different workarounds.

Last edited:

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something tells me Wolverine enjoys twins as well. Instant torque and low revs are nice but occasionally true power is nice too. I ended up with a multistrada, other being an obnoxious Italian B it a fantastic jack of all trades as long as your tall enough to ride.
You have good taste.. I have a ‘10 S along with the VTR. F37A2AF8-B32B-4800-B246-5D07A66F0D84.jpeg

Big bore, short stroke = gobs of torque.
106x67.9

Sawrain

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most Harley owners don't have a sportster. Most have a dyna or a soft tail, which I might add even new cost less than many Ducatis. To explain the torque thing, you have to show the torque curve on one of these soft tails.
A low rider soft tail with just some exhaust and a programmer will do 110ft lbs of torque from 1.5K RPM(and 100 ft lbs at 1K rpm) up to 4K rpm. It 'only' has 88 HP.
But that HP only comes in handy for passing. You aren't carving canyons with a cruiser. You are cruising. I rarely take my Dyna above 4K unless I am passing.
The magic of having a huge stroke is your engine now produces more torque at 1,000RPM than most other bikes have at maximum. It means you can load your Harley
up with all the guns and drugs you need for an extended weekend for fun and sales.

I was also looking at one of these not long ago. Problem is, my feet didn't even touch the ground :(

165020503.jR1IvJm7.jpg

Nothing sounds quite like a Duc with Termignonis on it.

I would not trust myself, not at all.

I had to compare a 1200cc Harley, my comparisons were 999cc and ~1100cc.

Of course the dyna and softail make big torque, they are Big mother engines, big engines have big torque, If I compare a 107ci (1750cc) Harley to a ZX-14R, well the relatively short stroke, and only 1441cc Kawi makes 113lb-ft of torque as well.

I agree that amount of lumping torque available at those revs is a beautiful thing, interesting, but as 107ci twin, there would be something wrong if it didn't perform like that.

Last post on this.

QPJPRI5L5YMBH3N73TUGSNJEYQ (1).jpg

Last edited: