592XP info and a surprise

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys here’s a short video of my saw with a 42 inch bar. With steel skip chain square ground.
I can’t get the video but here’s a picture or two
Picture on the bottom is oil marks coming off the 42
Good to see it's oiling. Watching Andy's saw comparison is ok, but how can you take him seriously when he is wearing a Stihl hat! :risas3::smiley_1140:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey guys here’s a short video of my saw with a 42 inch bar. With steel skip chain square ground.
Yeah, that's about what I'm seeing. I guess maybe I'm just used to the 395.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like it oils fine to me. Is there oil on the drivelinks when you lift them up?

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like it oils fine to me. Is there oil on the drivelinks when you lift them up?
I do get oil residue. Sometimes they seem dry but I’ve been cutting ash that is probably 2 1/2 months old maybe three. When I run my 28 and sometimes on my 32 I’ll get a oil at the bar Tip on the outside edge. Like after a cool down and you run the chain around a little Bit.
I’m definitely not gonna say it’s dripping oil all over the place and there’s definitely film on the chain

Last edited:

DC1072

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After you mentioned check in the chain it made me think. So Monday morning I went out and checked it I got my 32 inch bar On it right now.
Pull much chain up and I could see Luke amount of oil on the drivers.
When I spun the chain a little bit to move it forward I could see lots of oil on the chain up top and on the bottom of the chain. Where was sitting behind a clutch cover

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's nice to see more saws in the USA coming with manual tune carbs. First it was the 261 and 362, then the 661 and now I see the 462 is added to the list. Husqvarna needs to get on board with this also, a manual adjust 550, 562 and 572 would be real nice. I am thankful that the 585 will have old skool carb, as I might have to try one some day.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking about sprocket rims today. Going back some 24 years ago when I was new to the logging and chainsaw world, I recall that my mentor who was an almost retired bull buck and veteran timber feller. Old man Pete is what we called him, originally from Kake, Alaska, which is a dot on the map logging camp lol. He started with mac 125 and 090g saws cutten big timber in the 60's and 70's. He even climbed big Sitka spruce trees with the 090 to top em! He knew a thing or two. So anyways at some point in my early career, I went to the sawshop to buy a new sprocket rim for my then new 371xpeee. Guy at the counter asked what pitch and what size. Being unfamiliar with the lingo I said whatever the saw came with!
I went to old man Pete later that day and he skooled me on lingo, chains, and of course sprockets. So, the old man first tells me the main reason for a larger sprocket was to address a stretched out chain so a Sawyer didn't have to shorten up a link out in the bush. The secondary effect was loss of torque and increase chain speed.
I find it interesting that no one mentions this, seem lost with the old time loggers. Just a little tid bit I thought I would share.

Skiptooth Fred

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About time. 3120 needs an update as it is the absolute oldest design still in production for Canada/states.

@Spike60
Cant wait for your video on it! I would love to hear your opinions on it like the 572 pre release video you did a while back.
I did mention to Husky, Why don’t they just build a 5150xp and finish the big bore battle(or be that start another one!!) Maybe I should have wrote 5152xp to make it sound right aye’!!! ;)

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking about sprocket rims today. Going back some 24 years ago when I was new to the logging and chainsaw world, I recall that my mentor who was an almost retired bull buck and veteran timber feller. Old man Pete is what we called him, originally from Kake, Alaska, which is a dot on the map logging camp lol. He started with mac 125 and 090g saws cutten big timber in the 60's and 70's. He even climbed big Sitka spruce trees with the 090 to top em! He knew a thing or two. So anyways at some point in my early career, I went to the sawshop to buy a new sprocket rim for my then new 371xpeee. Guy at the counter asked what pitch and what size. Being unfamiliar with the lingo I said whatever the saw came with!
I went to old man Pete later that day and he skooled me on lingo, chains, and of course sprockets. So, the old man first tells me the main reason for a larger sprocket was to address a stretched out chain so a Sawyer didn't have to shorten up a link out in the bush. The secondary effect was loss of torque and increase chain speed.
I find it interesting that no one mentions this, seem lost with the old time loggers. Just a little tid bit I thought I would share.
Chains probably stretch a helluva lot less today than they used to in the 60's-70's. We've come a good way with metallurgy since then.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chains probably stretch a helluva lot less today than they used to in the 60's-70's. We've come a good way with metallurgy since then.

Think it’s the amount of drive links that were ram on the west coast back in the day not so much the metal. Chain stretch on 72dl is nothing compared to 172dl

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think it’s the amount of drive links that were ram on the west coast back in the day not so much the metal. Chain stretch on 72dl is nothing compared to 172dl
So you think there's no difference from then to now, DL count aside?