drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
8:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found a few donor saws. Hope to get to the saws in the next few weeks. Of these 2 saws, one is decomp/120 carbed and one is ND with an 87.

I actually prefer the decomp jugs and the 120 carbed version.

The 120 carb is too small for a ported 262, but it’s fine for a stocker. The plan is to convert a new OEM 199 to 87 specs using the current 120 as the donor carb.

The converted 198/9 carbs actually have the same Venturi as the 87 and are easier to tune. They provide the same WOT power with better low and mid-range than the coveted 87 does. More work though.

71122356375__8955AB45-21CA-460C-B24A-FA1029661081.jpeg

Outback1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found a few donor saws. Hope to get to the saws in the next few weeks. Of these 2 saws, one is decomp/120 carbed and one is ND with an 87.

I actually prefer the decomp jugs and the 120 carbed version.

The 120 carb is too small for a ported 262, but it’s fine for a stocker. The plan is to convert a new OEM 199 to 87 specs using the current 120 as the donor carb.

The converted 198/9 carbs actually have the same Venturi as the 87 and are easier to tune. They provide the same WOT power with better low and mid-range than the coveted 87 does. More work though.

View attachment 384117
Will you let us know all the steps it takes to convert the 198/199 to an 87? I have a 262 that I’d like to do this too as well.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of nice prizes on here. You guys are the best. I'm proud to be a member of this forum. It's amazing how everyone always comes together to help someone in need.

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am also curious with a cleanish saw that i haven't molested do to its originality. Yet. Any recommendations on porting would be cool. I'm not that experienced with 2 series cylinders. All the saws I've done so far have been quads. .. Except a chinese 272 cylinder that was ok..
262a.jpg

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found the thread you guys discussed the 198/9. Is it just swapping throttle and choke rods? Whats the difference between the two, I think I read an accelerator pump? That dyno run is alot smoother and slightly longer in the powerband by 500ish rpm on both ends from the ones you had in the other thread. I guess my question Is, what did you think that worked that you changed from the earlier iterations? I also recall that you said in the other thread the strongest was the saw with the longest exhaust. Any chance you remember/wrote down the degree's of those 3 262s? If that's protected information that's fine too. On another note anybody notice the mag/pro clutch cover? I've had 10+ 257/261/262's. Most with the madsen's wrap, but this is the only one I've seen without the plastic clutch cover and the only set of these dogs I've seen. Its previous life was in an orchard and the machine marks are still on the og piston. I keep half ass hunting for a used oem cylinder to preserve the original, but don't ever seem to see one on the bay. I probably shouldn't care.

262b.jpg

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found the thread you guys discussed the 198/9. Is it just swapping throttle and choke rods? Whats the difference between the two, I think I read an accelerator pump? That dyno run is alot smoother and slightly longer in the powerband by 500ish rpm on both ends from the ones you had in the other thread. I guess my question Is, what did you think that worked that you changed from the earlier iterations? I also recall that you said in the other thread the strongest was the saw with the longest exhaust. Any chance you remember/wrote down the degree's of those 3 262s? If that's protected information that's fine too. On another note anybody notice the mag/pro clutch cover? I've had 10+ 257/261/262's. Most with the madsen's wrap, but this is the only one I've seen without the plastic clutch cover and the only set of these dogs I've seen. Its previous life was in an orchard and the machine marks are still on the og piston. I keep half ass hunting for a used oem cylinder to preserve the original, but don't ever seem to see one on the bay. I probably shouldn't care.

View attachment 384434
The carbs aren’t just swapping shafts and plates. Have to mod the choke plate, change the linkages, and grind out a few things in the bore. Never did a 199, but looking forward to the accelerator pump. The elongated adjustment screws are pretty nice in them as well. I used to swap them out, but they are beneficial. I’ll take some pics and detail the mods in this thread.

The metal clutch cover is generally a 261 item, but I’ve read that it was available as in the 262 at one point. Usually the 262 cases have the two slots in them to locate the plastic clutch cover tabs.

That extra outer spike. It usually doesn’t line up with the inner spike. It’s a pita I generally don’t care for, but I’ve had a few saws with the duals. They are way out of alignment from the factory.

Not sure what thread you are referring to with the Dyno curves. Feel free to add them into this thread. I only searched Joe’s thread and found this one curve. I recall it making more, but I could be wrong.

In terms of porting, what one guy does won’t work for another. They do like a lower exhaust port than one might expect.

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the 198 no pump, the 199 is the one i seek. You posted a video of you runnin 3 262's and some graphs. Mines a 1996 so, decomp 120. I'm excited for the info. Thanks in advanced. also my dogs line up. I've had the lame factory outers/inners. This one came setup this way from mr chainsaw in eugene oregon. I assume according to the sticker on the chain brake. My one handed camera game is questionable so my assumption probably is too.

I think this is it, i might have been reading with beverages.

I think the exhaust in my 353 is at 104 or 5 and i like it like that, it turns a tad over stock but pulls real hard.

IMG_3599.JPGIMG_3600.JPG

Last edited:

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Here we go, this too, my bad.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Here we go, this too, my bad.
There’s a third thread somewhere where Randy chronicles the swap.

Again, I’ll try to take pics and illustrate the swap in this thread. It helps to have an extra 120 or 144 for reference.

One has to pull both shafts and plates. Then I tape the bottom of the bore over the jet and idle orifices.

The 198/199 have a cast in choke plate stop in the bore on each side that must be ground out. Then there is a small brass plug in the bottom of the choke side on the right that needs to be rounded on the choke bore side. The choke plate needs a flat filed on the bottom left side of it. It’s been a year or three since I did one, but I’m pretty sure I match it up to the 120 plate. The choke plates turn in different directions on the 199 vs the 87’s.

Outback

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was aware of the reverse start switch by product of this process. So essentially again, this is just swapping the new for the old and clearancing where necessary. There are no major modifications to the carb itself? ie drilling. If you wanted to find that third thread, I would appreciate it. I think im computer savvy until I try searching this forum......

I checked a couple ipls and my 1994 262 ipl does show the clutch cover with the tabs, my later ones do not.

Last edited:

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
12:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was aware of the reverse start switch by product of this process. So essentially again, this is just swapping the new for the old and clearancing where necessary. There are no major modifications to the carb itself? ie drilling. If you wanted to find that third thread, I would appreciate it. I think im computer savvy until I try searching this forum......

I checked a couple ipls and my 1994 262 ipl does show the clutch cover with the tabs, my later ones do not.
The inbuilt search engine doesn't work very well.
Try "subject" followed by space then site colon ohpeeeeforum.com

You'll have to decode the web address above. If you just type it in here all sorts of substitute characters appear. 🤷‍♂️

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

There is no reverse start switch the way I do them. Everything functions normally when I am done.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
About to start some surgery on these 2 boys.

As you can see, both mufkins have brazed on deflectors. Just like @farminkarman 257 muffler can.

Personally, I’ve only seen 261’s with the easier screw on deflector. I just cut these in 2 spots in the axis of the saw body, fold the top of the deflector back to do my thing, then fold back into its original position. Then I cut the teeth off, tig braze it back together, and pry the deflector open to a half moon.

Unfortunately, the older model (0200 SN) has the carb replaced with the *s-wordtiest of all, the 144. Unlike the 120, the 144 throttle shaft won’t accept the 87/198/199 butterfly without slotting it larger. Just an annoying extra step.

IMG_4372.jpegIMG_4373.jpegIMG_4374.jpegIMG_4375.jpeg