High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

MCCULLOCH Keep stock carb after big bore kit install??

remiskeet

OPE Member
Local time
8:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 2006 Troy-Bilt / McCulloch (Jenn Feng era) 35cc chainsaw (TB3516cc/MCC1635a). I have access to a very nicely priced piston/cylinder kit from the 40cc version (MCC1840b). After comparing the IPLs of both saws, I see that beyond the P/C , the difference is the carb: WT808 vs WT808A. Both models share the same rebuild kit K20-WAT. It makes sense to me that the"A" variant might have a slightly wider venturi area. Could I get by with the 808??

Perhaps I could phrase it this way: Has someone installed a "big bore" piston/cylinder kit and been successful using the stock carburetor??
Thanks for any input.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
6:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not sure about you specific model. But at one time I had a similar mcculloch (I believe it was a 38cc) that had a 42cc motor from the factory. I believe they did that a lot. Instead of having multiple engines the just used larger engines but marketed them as smaller. So you might want to verify that you don't already have a larger engine.

remiskeet

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks @Mycamaro_68 . Definitely worth pulling the cylinder to check with micrometer :)
I'm not sure about you specific model. But at one time I had a similar mcculloch (I believe it was a 38cc) that had a 42cc motor from the factory. I believe they did that a lot. Instead of having multiple engines the just used larger engines but marketed them as smaller. So you might want to verify that you don't already have a larger engine.

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks @Mycamaro_68 . Definitely worth pulling the cylinder to check with micrometer :)
You can pull the muffler and stick a stray or popsicle stick or something like that into the exhaust port until it touches the opposite side cylinder wall. Then rotate the flywheel just hard enough to leave a mark on the stick or straw. Then you can measure the stick or straw to find out the bore dimension.

remiskeet

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can pull the muffler and stick a stray or popsicle stick or something like that into the exhaust port until it touches the opposite side cylinder wall. Then rotate the flywheel just hard enough to leave a mark on the stick or straw. Then you can measure the stick or straw to find out the bore dimension.
You are obviously thinking with a clearer head than mine! I think I need a tattoo on back of both hands , that says " Work Smarter, Not Harder" .
Thanks @Mycamaro_68 :)

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You are obviously thinking with a clearer head than mine! I think I need a tattoo on back of both hands , that says " Work Smarter, Not Harder" .
Thanks @Mycamaro_68 :)
I've just picked up little tips and tricks from hanging around on the forum here. I take zero credit for thinking that up.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just as general information that is McCulloch in name only . That said more than likely it has enough carb already unless it's a fixed main jet and even then probably enough .