084 to buy or not to buy?

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the CAD is acting up again. Looking at an 084. Reasonably priced. Have dealt with the seller in the past. What I am asking for is good info and experience.
Parts availability?
At 122cc, does it compare to the ostensibly overpriced 880/881?
From the folks who have owned and used it, a better milling piece or better in the woods?
Or just don't bother...
I have some imaginings of making some stuffs and having a beast if needed but I don't have any experience with such a large saw. My line always stopped at the modded 660 in the past. Your candor is appreciated.

Vintage Engine Repairs

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the CAD is acting up again. Looking at an 084. Reasonably priced. Have dealt with the seller in the past. What I am asking for is good info and experience.
Parts availability?
From the folks who have owned and used it, a better milling piece or better in the woods?
Or just don't bother...
I have some imaginings of making some stuffs and having a beast if needed but I don't have any experience with such a large saw. My line always stopped at the modded 660 in the past. Your candor is appreciated.
Have you got one and can offer any advise mate? @rogue60

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@lohan808 : From the 881 side of things:

If a ported 660 is a hot-rod gas engine truck the 088/880/881 is a diesel-fueled World War 2 tank.
- The awesome power-to-weight ratio of the 660 is not a consideration.
- If you set any petroleum product next to an 088/880/881 it stretches a suction hose over and hoovers it up--why they didn't throw a few of these in the ocean when the Exxon Valdez spilled is beyond me...
- It's in a different bar/chain class (3002) so unless you do some grinding almost nothing fits until you open your fat wallet and hand it to the saw gods.
- There are no "lightweight" bars because the monstrous torque can eat them for lunch on a bad day, along with any "lesser" bar you've taken a die grinder to so you could stick it to the massive powerhead. A 3003-mount MS 661 LIGHT bar trembles in fear at the thought of being put on a 121cc powerhead and won't hold still for modification.
- RPM stands for Revolutions Per Millennia.
- Sawdust piles are replaced with wood chip mounds.
- If you can afford the bar and chain, no tree is too big.
- Everyone will notice you own an 121cc-size saw. Especially gas station owners.
- Each newly purchased saw comes with a Refinery Discount Card.
- Women will flock to other men knowing they can't compete for your attention--that and you're flat broke. (I warned you big chain ain't cheap...)
- STIHL 121cc saws always start by the third pull. Or your arm falls off. (That's right in the Owner's Manual.)

1701287155101.png
(a small, twiggy tree)

Last edited:

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If a ported 660 is a hot-rod gas truck the 088/880/881 is a diesel-fueled WW-II tank.
- If you set any petroleum product next to an 088/880/881 it stretches a suction hose over and hoovers it up--why they didn't throw a few of these in the ocean when the Exxon Valdez spilled is beyond me...
- It's in a different bar/chain class (3002) so unless you do some grinding almost nothing fits until you open your fat wallet and hand it to the saw gods.
- There are no "lightweight" bars because the monstrous torque can eat them for lunch on a bad day, along with any "lesser" bar you've taken a die grinder to so you could stick it to the powerhead. A 3003-mount MS 661 LIGHT bar trembles in fear at the thought of being put on a 121cc powerhead and won't hold still for modification.
- Everyone will notice you own an 121cc-size saw. Especially gas station owners.
- Women will flock to other men knowing they can't compete for your attention--that and you're flat broke. (I warned you big chain ain't cheap...)
- STIHL 121cc saws always start by the third pull. Or your arm falls off. (That's right in the Owner's Manual.)

View attachment 398725
(a small, twiggy tree)
🤣🤣🤣🤣LMFAO! What an apt description.

Tim N

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a ported 084. It was no joke. I got rid of it because of parts availability. Seems like now the aftermarket is making a lot of parts for them

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Parts availability?
Or just don't bother...

If you have the itch, then scratch it.

I'll thrown in my own two cents, take with a grain of salt. I've owned a few of each, 084's, 088's and one 880. All were mostly stock. And my stock 661 would out run the 122cc saws, all with 3 foot bars, in big 4-5 foot wood.

To me they are like cinder blocks with blades. Maybe if I was into milling I would of kept them, but I decided to let all the 122cc saws go down the road. I don't miss them at all.

Fun2Cut

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If a ported 660 is a hot-rod gas engine truck the 088/880/881 is a diesel-fueled World War 2 tank.
- There are no "lightweight" bars because the monstrous torque can eat them for lunch on a bad day, along with any "lesser" bar you've taken a die grinder to so you could stick it to the massive powerhead. A 3003-mount MS 661 LIGHT bar trembles in fear at the thought of being put on a 121cc powerhead and won't hold still for modification.

View attachment 398725
(a small, twiggy tree)
Btw boss, your blade is upside down… 🙃 😂😂

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have owned and rebuilt several 084's and currently have one which has been ported by Tony Moy from NSW Australia, which I use for long bar work and milling. They are a really tough old saw but fairly uninspiring stock (lots of torque tho!) and are let down by certain parts being almost unobtainble (Mufflers and brake flags spring to mind). Check the saw carefully before committing to it, and check the muffler for cracks, they are prone to it. Get a good one and you wont regret it. If you find the oiler stingy, there,s a faily simple mod that greatly increases oil output: https://opeforum.com/threads/modifying-the-stihl-084-oil-pump-for-increased-flow.25547/

Last edited:

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag