064, 066 MS650, MS660 info thread

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good deal. Out of curiosity, what type of circlips were included?

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most of you probably saw this.
Came across this video, pay attention at 1:55, Stihl cast marks on counterfeit stuff... what a time to be alive.
So basically the only way to differ fake from OEM is ...? quality of production and casting?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So basically the only way to differ fake from OEM is ...? quality of production and casting?

Depends on what the parts are.

And I have news for Stihl; As long as they charge ridiculous prices for parts that are junk in the first place that can be had for a 1/4 of the cost aftermarket, they'll keep crying. Plastics and other breakables come to mind. Hell, even cases and top ends...

Just because it is an OEM Stihl part doesn't mean it isn't cheap junk prone to failure in its own right, or not made in China or Taiwan to begin with. They just don't like to talk about that.

The intellectual property counterfeiting war was lost years ago..., or won depending on which side you were on.

I occasionally buy aftermarket parts from responsible sellers that will make good on bad parts -- which are most of the reputable ones. Can't necessarily say the same for Stihl dealers unless they've been around awhile and aren't afraid to submit warranty claims like many are encouraged to avoid doing these days. First thing the latter types do is either blame you or the ethanol for whatever the problem may be..., and most are clueless ta boot.

Bottom line is, you don't always get what you pay for -- especially when it comes to quality and knowledgeable service from Stihl dealers themselves.

Just shop wisely and sensibly with folks you trust who will have your back when/if necessary. Sounds like your source is a good one by their willingness to exchange pistons as they did.

Sorry for the soapboxin'. I just think Stihl should pay more attention to cleaning up their own side of the street..., especially when it comes to being able to economically and reliably support their own products and customers.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Depends on what the parts are.

And I have news for Stihl; As long as they charge ridiculous prices for parts that are junk in the first place that can be had for a 1/4 of the cost aftermarket, they'll keep crying. Plastics and other breakables come to mind. Hell, even cases and top ends...

Just because it is an OEM Stihl part doesn't mean it isn't cheap junk prone to failure in its own right, or not made in China or Taiwan in the first place. They just don't like to talk about that.

The intellectual property counterfeiting war was lost years ago..., or won depending on which side you were on.

I occasionally buy aftermarket parts from responsible sellers that will make good on bad parts -- which are most of the reputable ones. Can't necessarily say the same for Stihl dealers unless they've been around awhile and aren't afraid to submit warranty claims like many are encouraged to avoid doing these days. First thing the latter types do is either blame you or the ethanol for whatever the problem may be..., and most are clueless ta boot.

Bottom line is, you don't always get what you pay for -- especially when it comes to quality and knowledgeable service from Stihl dealers themselves.

Just shop wisely and sensibly with folks you trust who will have your back when/if necessary. Sounds like your source is a good one by their willingness to exchange pistons as they did.

Sorry for the soapboxin'. I just think Stihl should pay more attention to cleaning up their own side of the street..., especially when it comes to being able to economically and reliably support their own products and customers.
You can keep most dealers work now days imo. They hire parts changers not diagnostics people who can perform sensible repairs or whom even care to do so.
I'm my own best judge of quality when it comes to parts.

Bet my dollhair Kevin, Randall and others who see these pistons and jugs day in day out will have a unique take about quality overall and on certain models. I'm just a weekend hack hanging out at the bigger shop so to speak. I want details not generally what's good and what ain't. More concerned with fake chit everyday. Someone is getting better and better at making clones to... to look at but the materials used during manufacturing are a different story compared to OEM. These are thing people just don't understand because they can not see "it."

Dasser82

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't searched this entire thread, and I'm still learning about the multiple flywheel/coil configurations for these saws....so apologies in advance...

Have a 1993 064AV SN: 124004438 with a bad coil (Prufrex CDIC). Flywheel is 1122 400 1204.

Does anyone know if I can use the 1122 400 1203 flywheel (double keyway) with the 0000 400 1300 coil? I have the 3 holes in crankcase exactly like the photo on the right in Definitive Dave's original post on this thread (ie. "right" side looking from bottom up have 2 holes close together).

I realize that my saw's serial number is before what it says in the Stihl bulletin (54.2000), but hopeful that my crankcase screw holes will allow this to work.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
11:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last edited:

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read the whole thread, yep 18 pages. Lots of good info. But what about more on the 640, 650 and 660. Stuff like production upgrades and changes, service bulletins and such.
With 4 saws I still feel saw poor, beings I put food on the table with them. It sucks living in paranoia wondering how many saws will break down day to day, which would put me out of a job. Even if the powerheads don't break down, occasionally a saw gets squished under a tree. Parts are hard to get in this new age also.
I have an opportunity to pick up a mint ms660R by doing some donkey trading and a tree removal. The job I estimated at 1000 dollars cash and the guy wants some auto parts too. I've owned a bunch of 066's in my day, but only 2 660's. Would like to gain some more knowledge before I commit to the deal. Saw is very mint, like has no paint damage and possibly only 1 gallon of gas run through it.
Said car parts are valued at 400 cash just for reference.

ManiacalMark

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Read the whole thread, yep 18 pages. Lots of good info. But what about more on the 640, 650 and 660. Stuff like production upgrades and changes, service bulletins and such.
With 4 saws I still feel saw poor, beings I put food on the table with them. It sucks living in paranoia wondering how many saws will break down day to day, which would put me out of a job. Even if the powerheads don't break down, occasionally a saw gets squished under a tree. Parts are hard to get in this new age also.
I have an opportunity to pick up a mint ms660R by doing some donkey trading and a tree removal. The job I estimated at 1000 dollars cash and the guy wants some auto parts too. I've owned a bunch of 066's in my day, but only 2 660's. Would like to gain some more knowledge before I commit to the deal. Saw is very mint, like has no paint damage and possibly only 1 gallon of gas run through it.
Said car parts are valued at 400 cash just for reference.

Other than epa timing numbers just as solid of a saw just won’t have the power as some older 066‘s.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like the cross performance kits are NLA. That sucks, I always wanted to try the jug using a OEM piston and rings.. I know the mahle jugs are the best stock, as they ran strong on 066 builds I've done, but those jugs are getting mighty dear these days. Years ago, Olives saw shop in Orofino Idaho would cut the base, I think trim the bottom intake skirt side of the piston, then turn down the top of the piston to match the factory squish band. That with a DP muffler cover was said to be their port job. Alot of fellers liked them, despite the odd practices. Jason Egan knows them well, and he does a stellar job porting saws. The mentioned above work was on Stihl branded ms660 cylinders.

Last edited:

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not yet, I'm going to head over to the guy's place next week and reassess the trees in question. I no longer climb and it looks like at least one tree needs either topped or rigged with a pull line. So that will be an expense that I don't have the means to cover right now.
Other than that, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get the saw, he wants my 1970 396 big block Chevy block, crank heads and related stuff pretty bad.