Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought I read it does square...

I mean you could put some square ground chain in it, no problem. It's not gonna be square when it comes out though...

As I understand it, there's no new square grinders under $1000. You might luck out and find a used one for $500.

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Arrived last night via UPS. It was packed in a bigger box to keep the contents hidden. Good move.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

And it is much bigger than I thought. Heavy also. Should last a long time. Now I have to make a mount for it and plant it on a bench.

enhance

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yep, first one. I have killed many a file in the 'ol Granberg filing gismo sharpening chains.

Last couple of chains for the 20 inch Husky I took to the saw shop. $10 each to sharpen. At that time I decided it was time for a grinder. I was afraid to take in my 36 and 42 inch chains, much less the chains for the Alaska Mill with a 66 inch bar. And I am sure the grinder jockey at the saw shop would ruin my milling chains. A few chains and I will have saved the cost of the grinder.

One of my friends runs a harvester with the big chain. He has two grinders set op on logs in the ground like fence posts. The chains are at eye level when he is standing, works great.

I will make a temporary stand that will clamp in my big vise, then after I get the height correct I will fabricate a proper stand from some 6 inch pipe I have in the stash. Bolt it to the concrete shop floor with Qwik Bolts.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple of tips for new grinder users:

Take your time getting used to it: all light taps. A lot of guys try to use them like chop saws, and are not happy with the results.

Dress the wheels frequently (about once per loop, and anytime they stop cutting well) to constantly expose fresh abrasive.

Take a couple of 'scrap' chains and practice first. Intentionally burn a cutter, then work backwards to see how to prevent it. Play with all of the angle settings to try and match a filed chain that you like.

Use good lighting and inspect each cutter when done - you can make small changes on the fly.

More in that link I provided (above).

Philbert

stevegodseyjr

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is why I want to have my own grinder :mad: took these to a friend who has sharpened my chains before when they are really rocked out. I have about 8 24" and 4 20" chains with the rakers *f-worded up like this!!:mad: Saw is so grabby that it worth a *s-word to use these chains. Most of them went to the trash. He won't EVER get another one of mine to sharpen!!15519953874978284881526692105150.jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe sometimes the KISS principle is best. Hand file?

stevegodseyjr

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe sometimes the KISS principle is best. Hand file?
I usually hand file my chains but when they are real bad, he just usually touches them up. This is damn near new chain and the rakers are at about .060:(

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Crap! Sorry

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is why I want to have my own grinder
That's a real drag (no pun intended). If they are not in the trash, it would be possible to grind back the cutters a bit to make the chains less grabby. Still a waste, but not a total waste. Save them for use on softwoods only.

Consider the value of the saved chains as part of the cost justification for the grinder.

Philbert

stevegodseyjr

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a real drag (no pun intended). If they are not in the trash, it would be possible to grind back the cutters a bit to make the chains less grabby. Still a waste, but not a total waste. Save them for use on softwoods only.

Consider the value of the saved chains as part of the cost justification for the grinder.

Philbert

I will dig them out to use as practice chain for when I get that grinder:D