Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will dig them out to use as practice chain for when I get that grinder:D
I have plenty of chains I get out other's trash bins. Sure I may not get but one or two uses out of them but chain isn't getting any cheaper and I do not cut that much wood.

Lots of times it is too low a depth tooth so I need to take them back a bit too. Other times it will be dinged up drivers.

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have plenty of chains I get out other's trash bins. Sure I may not get but one or two uses out of them but chain isn't getting any cheaper and I do not cut that much wood.

Lots of times it is too low a depth tooth so I need to take them back a bit too. Other times it will be dinged up drivers.

Free chains. Hmm.

Last year I found a box full of 20 and 24 inch loops at a garage sale. Most was Micro Chisel skip tooth. Half a tooth or more left, two were almost new, just dull. So $10 and I came back with 5 2o inch and 11 24 inch. Had a 20 inch bar on a Husky 455, the next size up saw is a 28 then a couple of 32, 36, and a 42. So I bought a new 24 bar just to be able to use the chains.

You never know what shows up at garage sales!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Free chains. Hmm.

Last year I found a box full of 20 and 24 inch loops at a garage sale. . . . So I bought a new 24 bar just to be able to use the chains.
If you get a spinner and breaker set, you can fit the chains to the bars you already have!

That, and a grinder, are great chain scrounging tools!

Philbert

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you get a spinner and breaker set, you can fit the chains to the bars you already have!

That, and a grinder, are great chain scrounging tools!

Philbert

Spinner and breaker set are on the buy list. Had a set, but passed it to the son in law when he was dropping big Fir and Spruce in the Oregon Coast Range 2 years ago, he started buying chain by the reel.

I have a lot of 404 chain in weird loops (some shorty's for 20 and 24 inch bars) that I plan on breaking and turning into longer loops. This stuff is new and packed in 3 lb coffee cans filled with oil. I have saws running 404 that have 28, 32, 36 and 42 inch bars. And I have a reel of 404 that is about 75 per cent full. So a spinner and breaker set is a must have.

Anyone have luck with spinning rivets that have been punched out? Some of this chain is old and presets are just not found.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone have luck with spinning rivets that have been punched out? Some of this chain is old and presets are just not found.
I try to not reuse punched out presets.
What brand of chain?
Have you tried fitting other brands of .404 presets? Easier to use a matched set of preset and tie strap, than mating a mis-matched pair.

Philbert

Last edited:

dirter

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn’t resist. Got one on the way. I just finished setting up my new Oregon 410 too. I ran 2 little Stihl 1/4” chains through and came in. Two hours later I’m reading through this and without any rope around to tie my fingers down they jumped around and hit the ‘add to cart’ button. Dammit. Now I gotta find someone to buy my old new one before the new new one gets here so I don’t have to splain it all to the wife.

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I try to not reuse punched out presets.
What brand of chain?
Have you tried fitting other brands of .404 presets? Easier to use a matched set of preset and tie strap, than mating a mis-matched pair.

Philbert

Yea I really do not like re using old presets, but some of the chain is old Oregon 52 and some Carlton. Have not been able to find presets anywhere. If anyone has a stash of Oregon 52 presets (404 chain .063) I will buy. I can see the manufacturers changing cutter design but why mess with the rivet diameter on presets?

I have a good supply of 27 presets for 404 and 72 presets for 3/8.

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Getting it dirty, maiden voyage. Temporary mount, after I find the height I like I will fabricate a metal stand. And I will change out the top handle, it is way too small.
enhance

And for those that like to hand file depth gauges: 125 year old vise. The cutter on the left is not burned, just black marker so I can keep up with the ground cutters.

enhance

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting it dirty, maiden voyage. Temporary mount, after I find the height I like I will fabricate a metal stand. And I will change out the top handle, it is way too small.
enhance

And for those that like to hand file depth gauges: 125 year old vise. The cutter on the left is not burned, just black marker so I can keep up with the ground cutters.

enhance
So how do you like the grinder

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
First grinder I used, I like it. Easy to adjust and has full capabilities. A nice sturdy machine. The hydraulic vise makes the operation fast.

I ordered a tube of stickkut lube today for the grinding wheel.

Took a while to sort out the directions but if you read carefully all the info is there.

Skinnyminnie

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you satisfied with the way it's putting an edge on the cutters so far? I know it's still new and there's a lot to play around with and learn still. But, just curious.

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Are you satisfied with the way it's putting an edge on the cutters so far? I know it's still new and there's a lot to play around with and learn still. But, just curious.

Yep things look good. Better than the chains the saw shop sharpened for me. Still waiting for the snow to melt off the logs I have, once it is gone I will test out my sharpening on both sawing firewood and slabbing with the Alaskan. The Alaskan mill was the deciding factor in buying a grinder, note the big loop on the drip pan in the background of the grinder photo. Full comp, with the 10 degree top, a lot of cutters!

I have worn out many a file sharpening chains, I should have bought a grinder years ago!!

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No hurry. TY sir

Skinnyminnie

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I couldn’t resist. Got one on the way. I just finished setting up my new Oregon 410 too. I ran 2 little Stihl 1/4” chains through and came in. Two hours later I’m reading through this and without any rope around to tie my fingers down they jumped around and hit the ‘add to cart’ button. Dammit. Now I gotta find someone to buy my old new one before the new new one gets here so I don’t have to splain it all to the wife.

I also ordered one today. Now the anticipation begins! Hehe

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Replaced the small black handle with a much larger one. The red handle is an accessory handle for a 1/2 inch drill, I had a couple of spares. I cut off the steel threaded stub on the handle and drilled & tapped 6mmx1.0 to match the threads on the grinder.

Makes the grinder much easier to use and gives nice control for "tapping" the cutter to prevent burning. Compare with the handle in the above photos.
enhance

This is 3/8 chain, Oregon 72. I found that a heavy plunge with the grinder will burn the cutter and leave burrs. Just a few light taps gives a nice surface with no burrs. Thinking I need to go just a little deeper, but I was afraid of getting into the tie straps and drivers.

enhance