High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Advice on a new chain grinder

Socalmisfit

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So I have a tecomec jolly evo right now and it works good. Just don’t like the 10 degree offset, seems like it may be off just a smidge from left to right cutters. Might just be me, but I’m looking to start grinding a lot of chain and was wondering which grinder I should invest in. I’m looking at the tecomech super jolly, is there another better than this one. Or will this be just fine for commercial grinding. I don’t need an automated grinder, by commercial I mean something I can grind chain with every day and it will stand up to the work.

Also some better wheels. I use the techomec pinks right now. I think cbn’s are the ones that are higher quality, and I will buy one if it’s worth it. But if someone knows something more affordable that does as good as a grind I would appreciate the info. Thanks guys.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
5:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of threads on those, so I can’t retype them all. The Tecomec Jolly Evo is just an oddball design among the Tecomec/Oregon grinders.

The hydraulic clamping grinders offer convenience, for people doing lots of chains, but there are more things that can go wrong with them over time. All things equal, I would choose the Oregon 520-120 grinder.

Also, I prefer the ‘pink’ wheels, except for the dust they produce. I was not impressed with the CB and wheels that I tried.

Philbert

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the hydro clamping clone I have makes my arm tired pulling it down against the compression. I do not know if the Oregon or Tecomec( same difference) are like that. I do know that seals in the hydro cylinder like to give up and its a chunk of change to replace it.
CBN wheels- seems to be a shot in the dark as to getting good ones, wasn't too happy with the set I tried , went back to the vitrified ones. Because of volume I can get 10 vitrified for the price of one cbn.

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The forester, and diamond wheel, cbns are a crap shoot
LM sharpening from the US were purchased for the stihl
usg and were of top notch quality.The cbn substrate was
electroplated onto the steel blank ,and were a little coarser
but produced an amazing cutter. Price is around 200,oo
you get what you pay for

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lots of threads on those, so I can’t retype them all. The Tecomec Jolly Evo is just an oddball design among the Tecomec/Oregon grinders.

The hydraulic clamping grinders offer convenience, for people doing lots of chains, but there are more things that can go wrong with them over time. All things equal, I would choose the Oregon 520-120 grinder.

Also, I prefer the ‘pink’ wheels, except for the dust they produce. I was not impressed with the CB and wheels that I tried.

Philbert
Ditto. I love my 520, and I only run a pink wheel on it. I didn't like the cbn wheel I ran at the saw shop, it didn't strike me as being that great.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag

John235

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just bought the super jolly last month. Still getting used to it. But it’s a nice grinder. I bought it from maverick mower, recommended on here. The 2 grinding wheels were broken on arrival so I called them up and a week later I got 5 of each in the mail. Now that’s some good customer service. So give them a look if you decide on your grinder

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My only complaint with my Diamond Wheel cbn is that it's a little too coarse. They will do a wheel for you in any grit you want, though.

If I was grinding commercially, I'd 100% want CBN. Less heat, consistent height and shape on the wheel. That alone is impressive if you want consistent results. Less dust in your lungs, too.

I agree that I get a nicer looking cutter from a finer-grit pink wheel, but otherwise I don't understand all the vague dislike for CBN.

Tiewire

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
C4FB3D6F-8CF0-4837-8959-465FB7AECD13.jpeg If you can find one, then afford one, the 510 is awesome. I had to rathole money for 2 years to get one but, that was before Silvey went out of business. $700 then and if you find one now in good shape for a decent price I would jump on it.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was disappointed by the Diamond Brand CBN wheels that I received, but recognize that they might not have been representative of all.

Frustrating part of it was their sales office is 20 miles from my house, and I asked, several times, if I could stop in to discuss my concerns. They declined, and told me that I just needed to practice using a chain grinder.

Philbert

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was disappointed by the Diamond Brand CBN wheels that I received, but recognize that they might not have been representative of all.

Frustrating part of it was their sales office is 20 miles from my house, and I asked, several times, if I could stop in to discuss my concerns. They declined, and told me that I just needed to practice using a chain grinder.

Philbert
You sold them at a heavily discounted price
and they were sold quickly!

kurtz

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got an Oregon 520-120 and it works okay but everything feels cheaply built. It has play in every joint and it’s been that way since new. Sharpeningsupplies.com has Foley Belsaw wheels in CBN and Diamond and I bought one of each. The CBN is fast but it’s difficult to not leave a burr. The diamond is almost as fast as the CBN but it leaves a much better finish and edge. I always use the diamond wheel unless I am grinding a lager amount of material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The forester, and diamond wheel, cbns are a crap shoot
LM sharpening from the US were purchased for the stihl
usg and were of top notch quality.The cbn substrate was
electroplated onto the steel blank ,and were a little coarser
but produced an amazing cutter. Price is around 200,oo
you get what you pay for

Where did you get it?

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 10 of them , got them from a retired stihl
shop foreman for vancouver parks
the wheels are made by LM sharpening wheels inc
in the USA Toll free # is 1-877-871-9867
I just called him to confirm he,s still in buisiness
and he told me that his grit is 50
I have not worn a wheel out in 10 years!