Advice on a new chain grinder

kurtz

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where do you get the Foley wheels at? I’ve only used Diamond and ones from Ahlborn. I’ve like both, don’t burn the cutter, never have to dress them or reshape.

Sharpeningsupplies.com and after reading more it looks like they actually bought the entire Foley-Belsaw name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes they bought the rights and what ever was left in parts + making or having made a few things.

NWWrench

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried their wheels twice burned cutters on the first wheel, contacted customer service, was told that the grit sometimes isn't exposed enough through the binder material and they would send a replacement.. Replacement did the same thing..returned and moved on.

I was told the same thing. The lady I talked to was very nice and sent me a new wheel free of charge, however the new wheel does the same thing. I had it mounted on a Oregon 511AX. I have better luck with the Pink wheel it came with, just need to clean your chains first and keep the wheel clean.
Ryan

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
1:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tap the wheel down into the cutters once or twice per second. But I’m usually only removing maybe .010 to .020” total when I sharpen. I get a little tiny burr on the top every time but it wipes off with my finger

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just tapped his pm box out of curiosity, just wondering about how the performance was without being able to chase the angles as the tooth wears back..forward lean in particular, I like a bit of self feeding and wouldn't you have to get a few CBN wheels in different profiles to address this? As the tooth wears back maybe change to a different wheel to keep up? Might be a option, but you'd need a few wheels to keep each style of tooth the same throughout its life, then what for the other profiles you like, another batch in different profiles? I think I'd need a numbering system to keep it all square..lol
good point!

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tap the wheel down into the cutters once or twice per second. But I’m usually only removing maybe .010 to .020” total when I sharpen. I get a little tiny burr on the top every time but it wipes off with my finger
This. My CBN is coarse. Ive been fixing up a lot of funky chains and like how much I can take off without too much heat…it’s nice when you get the chains all cleaned up to your std grind and then just have to touch them to resharpen.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@mitchm1 mentioned in the other thread to dress a cbn wheel with a white stone.

I would have to find a good instructional video as I am afraid to damage my wheels.

I use a bristle brush, every time before a grind and when flipping over to the other side. Lightly dampened in water, shake off the water and all the loaded material is gone along with any burrs.

It helps to sharpen into the tooth each time.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My understanding is that the white ‘dressing brick’ is more for cleaning than shaping the CBN grit.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Philbert

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My understanding is that the white ‘dressing brick’ is more for cleaning than shaping the CBN grit.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Philbert
That’s the way I’ve always understood it. I’ve actually never done anything to mine. Maybe I’m missing out

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I own a Diamond brand CBN wheel for my Oregon 511AX and I clean it with the white stone and flip it about every 10 chains.. I also peck at the cutter as I always have with vitrified wheels, and noticed that I only over heat a tooth if I try to take too heavy of a cut. It burrs the chrome on all but the lightest of cuts, but as noted before, that just flakes off with my finger. And if you just touch the wood the chain looks like new again - naked of burrs.

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I flip every 20-30 chains
As long as you try to keep it even
I don’t think I ever said I was a shaping stone?
But it is a cleaning stone and lot of people think it doesn’t work as good as a sonic cleaner
But the correct way to use the white stone is to only engage to the wheel while it is coasting to a stop

So as soon as you turn the motor off I put the stone against the wheel where the most contact with the cutter is while sharpening

At a certain rpm you see several to a lot of spark leave the wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk