Tecomec Super Jolly for $270?

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I finally got around to getting some pictures of the grinder and chain. I'm not sure if it's the fact that I'm just not steady enough or what, but good grief I had a heck of a time getting pictures of the cutter, so hopefully it shows up good.

View attachment 253898 View attachment 253898 View attachment 253898 View attachment 253899 View attachment 253900 View attachment 253902 I just did a quick 4x4 post mount, that I put in my vise. I'm 6'5, so it's nice having things I'm working on at a good height so I don't have to hunch over.

I'm pretty sure I looked like the safety glasses warning after a few minutes of using this thing, with the addition of a big ole grin that is.
Looks really nice. What angles did you grind with.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:37 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks really nice. What angles did you grind with.
Thankya Sir! 55-25-10 on the 36" chains, and 60-30-10 on the 20 and 16 inch chains. I figured a little more aggressive on the big saws and a little less on the smaller stuff. A guy really needs to take his time though. I ended up bluing a few cutters on a 16" chain. I think part of it was my wheel was loading up, since I didn't clean the chains first. So I was probably forcing it too much. Operator error. Once I dressed the wheel, it was alot better. So I think I'm going to clean the chains up a bit, before I sharpen the next ones, to keep the wheel in better shape. Other than that, I'm beyond satisfied! I only tested one chain per length, but it all cut good!

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I
Thankya Sir! 55-25-10 on the 36" chains, and 60-30-10 on the 20 and 16 inch chains. I figured a little more aggressive on the big saws and a little less on the smaller stuff. A guy really needs to take his time though. I ended up bluing a few cutters on a 16" chain. I think part of it was my wheel was loading up, since I didn't clean the chains first. So I was probably forcing it too much. Operator error. Once I dressed the wheel, it was alot better. So I think I'm going to clean the chains up a bit, before I sharpen the next ones, to keep the wheel in better shape. Other than that, I'm beyond satisfied! I only tested one chain per length, but it all cut good!
I toss mine in the ultrasonic clean for a few minutes prior to grinding. And try and remember to dress my wheel often.

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Try placing a white index card behind the cutters for good photos.

I will keep that in mind for next time. Thanks! I use a tablet, since I don't use smartphones, so the size of that, is a bit more awkward than a phone.

Philbert

I

I toss mine in the ultrasonic clean for a few minutes prior to grinding. And try and remember to dress my wheel often.

I dressed it after each of the 36" loops, but did about 3 of the smaller loops before I dressed it. Next time it should go easier, since I got the initial grinding out of the way. Some of the cutters required a bit of grinding to get them cleaned up, and a good profile, coming from hand filing, but cleaning them first would be beneficial I think. And a ultrasonic cleaner is on the list! I've wanted one for awhile anyways.

Thanks for the help fellas!

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I clean chains if really dirty in a water based, commercial degreaser with sodium hydroxide (lye); rinse well; then dry. Not needed if not needed, but some chains I get look like they are caked in asphalt.

I lightly dress my wheels about once per loop for standard size chains (16 - 20 inches), or whenever it feels like it needs it.

Philbert

KS Plainsman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I clean chains if really dirty in a water based, commercial degreaser with sodium hydroxide (lye); rinse well; then dry. Not needed if not needed, but some chains I get look like they are caked in asphalt.

I lightly dress my wheels about once per loop for standard size chains (16 - 20 inches), or whenever it feels like it needs it.

Philbert

Admittedly, the 20" and 16" were like that. I don't use short bars, so those chains have been sitting out in the open and got pretty grimy. The 36" get used enough they weren't too bad.

Dennis Coon

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:37 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Couple of tips for new grinder users:

Take your time getting used to it: all light taps. A lot of guys try to use them like chop saws, and are not happy with the results.

Dress the wheels frequently (about once per loop, and anytime they stop cutting well) to constantly expose fresh abrasive.

Take a couple of 'scrap' chains and practice first. Intentionally burn a cutter, then work backwards to see how to prevent it. Play with all of the angle settings to try and match a filed chain that you like.

Use good lighting and inspect each cutter when done - you can make small changes on the fly.

More in that link I provided (above).

Philbert
Couple of tips for new grinder users:

Take your time getting used to it: all light taps. A lot of guys try to use them like chop saws, and are not happy with the results.

Dress the wheels frequently (about once per loop, and anytime they stop cutting well) to constantly expose fresh abrasive.

Take a couple of 'scrap' chains and practice first. Intentionally burn a cutter, then work backwards to see how to prevent it. Play with all of the angle settings to try and match a filed chain that you like.

Use good lighting and inspect each cutter when done - you can make small changes on the fly.

More in that link I provided (above).

Philbert
Good advice, it took me a while to get the hang of it

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did a double take at that username.

My experience with a Tecomec grinder was not good. Low precision all around. Often times even minimal pressure on the tooth would cause it to pivot because the clamping part didn't clamp the right DL in the right spot or something. Flipping around to do the other side made that side shorter, so I'd have to reset the chain stop, and caliper the teeth until the grind was the same. The depth gauges were a pain too because the grinder stop screw was almost useless since the frame had so much flex you could force the wheel like 1/16" or so past the stop without ever feeling you hit the stop. At my best it took maybe 20min per chain if not 40-60min on a 16-24". That includes de hardening improperly done teeth, or trying to avoid hardening them, and sometimes grinding a lot off to even up the teeth.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My experience with a Tecomec grinder I bought used but near new was generally good. It is a hydro grab Super Jolly model about ten years old. The vice grab didn't work so I fixed it. The vice still grabs too far back on a 3/8 or 404 chain with new or near new cutters. The cutter will climb a bit if you go at it more than very slowly when grinding rocked chains. If that can be cured I'm good. The new style Oregon vice appears to be a better design but it may not work any better.

The last owner absolutely destroyed chains with it. Every chainsaw he owns has a dark purple clutch drum :-/
He doesn't generally use dull chains but trying to file one he ground was a no go. The burr makes it dull imo. He was instructed by our chain grinding guy to never use a grinder again so he bought some 2in1 Stihl files guides for touch ups but that didn't work out so well either... why idk... gave up on teaching grinding to others. They just don't listen to sound advice most times.

Bought another new Oregon salmon wheel for this one and it grinds pretty good. Next is a CBN wheel for it. The point here is some people should have others sharpen their chains because they do more harm than good burning cutters. He realized this by working with me and started sending his chains out to be sharpened by an ace who knows chain very well. You don't have to be anything as a chain sharpener but gentle, tap tap and dress the wheel with something like wax. I use tea lights myself on every cutter or every other cutter on light touch ups. This ain't rocket science or for the ham fisted and that's okay in my book.

The comment I read about uneven cutters is the fault of the person. If you center the chain vice properly you will get even cutters. The more your wheel is worn down the worse that becomes imo.

Grinding depth gauges has improved my chains smoothness after finding a properly profiled face on a 1/4" grinding wheel. If you set up the grinder to cut depth gauges evenly on both sides you have pretty much centered the vice to the wheel.

Still learning my tool but the speed is there now with the auto-grab. It's much faster than my other grinders for sure. All I got to add for now.

Edit:
Ignore my terrible writing skills ;-)

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t wax my grinding wheels, but I lightly dress them each loop with the supplied (Carborundum) brick, to keep exposing fresh abrasive.

Philbert