Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone seen these? I've been thinking of buying a grinder recently and stated looking at what was available. The tecomec jolly star looked pretty good for around $300, but then I saw a super jolly for $270 from Maverick Mower parts. The word tecomec wasn't on the page though, only Stens. So I called and asked about them. They said it's a tecomec and that they ship orders over $200 for free.

So I called Stens and asked about them. It's part number 700-010 by the way. The guy there checked with the text department and confirmed that it's a tecomec grinder.

So, I ordered one. If it's a knock off I'll send it back, but I'm fairly optimistic. I did some googling but I didn't see any threads here or on AS about these.

Last edited:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered Wednesday late morning, delivered Friday before dark. Can't complain about that.

It is in fact a Tecomec Super Jolly aka Oregon 620 hydraulic assist grinder. Made in Italy. I've literally never run a grinder prior to about 45 minutes ago, but I got this one installed and set up and threw a 92dl full chisel chain on it. I'm very pleased with the hydraulic feature. Not using a clamp is pretty slick.

I've definitely got some learning to do, but I'm happy to have this tool in my toolbox. I've been running my 395 and 36" bar doing some removals in town and not having to fix those chains by hand will be a great time savings.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
2:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ordered Wednesday late morning, delivered Friday before dark. Can't complain about that.

It is in fact a Tecomec Super Jolly aka Oregon 620 hydraulic assist grinder. Made in Italy. I've literally never run a grinder prior to about 45 minutes ago, but I got this one installed and set up and threw a 92dl full chisel chain on it. I'm very pleased with the hydraulic feature. Not using a clamp is pretty slick.

I've definitely got some learning to do, but I'm happy to have this tool in my toolbox. I've been running my 395 and 36" bar doing some removals in town and not having to fix those chains by hand will be a great time savings.

Pics?

Link?

Sent from my iPhone using Jon1212 Pro

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ryan, any updates? Have you used it any?

I have used it several times. It's a dandy. I never used a grinder with a manual vice prior to buying this one, so I probably can't truly appreciate how swell it is to have the hydraulic feature. I will say though that it's pretty quick to go around a loop!

I'm very happy I bought it. I'll hopefully get many years of service out of it since I'll just be grinding my own loops and maybe do a few for some friends after I am confident that I'm getting good results.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a very good price for the hydraulic Tecomec grinder: more in line with the 'Jolly Star PRO' model. Wonder if they made a mistake in their listing. Anyway, you scored!

Philbert

Agreed!

To be honest I was pretty sure it was too good to be true. Then I called to make sure it was what they said it was, which they confirmed and told me the shipping was FREE!! :)

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used it several times. It's a dandy. I never used a grinder with a manual vice prior to buying this one, so I probably can't truly appreciate how swell it is to have the hydraulic feature. I will say though that it's pretty quick to go around a loop!

I'm very happy I bought it. I'll hopefully get many years of service out of it since I'll just be grinding my own loops and maybe do a few for some friends after I am confident that I'm getting good results.

Very tempting price that is for sure. I’d probably have succumbed to the temptation if I was on that side of the border. Would never get enough use out of t personally, would need to be able to make a few $$ to make it worthwhile.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I do a decent amount of sharpening at home in the evening, so any way to make it faster is a popular thing for my home life.

I'm hopeful that the grinder will make the occasional tree work more enjoyable too. When I'm cutting firewood it's easy to swap saws when one dulls out a little, but I only have one real big saw and when you're trying to make a nice face cut in a big oak in someone's yard, having a nice sharp, straight cutting chain sure is nice. Hand filing can certainly do the job, but I don't always have a big log outside I can test the long bar in to make sure it passes muster. My hope is that they'll come off the grinder with more consistency.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any pics of the finished, sharpened cutter Ryan? Chain cuts just as good or better than hand filing?

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To be honest I've only done a few loops Jeff. No pics of the cutters. Compared to hand filing I wouldn't say they cut much differently, but I have a chain vise and a fair amount of practice, so I can make a pretty decent round filed chain. Main reason I got it was that I want it for long loops. Doing a 72dl loop of 3/8 by hand is no big deal, but 114 kinda gets old. That long bar gets used doing residential removals too, so there's few trees without rot, soil, or metal in them. Cleaning that up by hand is no fun at all.

I'm a total beginner at running a grinder, but I'm hoping I can pick it up pretty quick. The results seem very promising so far. I'm away from home for a few more days, but when I get a chance to do some more loops I'll snap a pic or two for you Jeff.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK. Thanks Ryan. I have been hand filing for 40 years. Lol
Round, no problem. I have that Mike's chain vise too.
It's the square that I'd like to get a grinder for. Just can't justify a G note for a Simington.

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok I am hooked. Ordered one today.

So Ryan, how do you lower the depth gauges? Using the Jolly with a radiused stone perhaps?

I read a post last week, maybe here or on Arbor, where the guy used his quality grinder for the cutter grinding and a cheapie grinder for depth gauges so he would not have to change wheel setups. Something to think about.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

So Ryan, how do you lower the depth gauges? Using the Jolly with a radiused stone perhaps?

I read a post last week, maybe here or on Arbor, where the guy used his quality grinder for the cutter grinding and a cheapie grinder for depth gauges so he would not have to change wheel setups. Something to think about.
I use a 1/4" wheel dressed flat. 10° tilt on the head. I think that's how Oregon recommends doing it in the manual. If I sharpened a bunch of chain I'd have one solely for this purpose. In actuality, it only takes 2 minutes to swap wheels though.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I just use a file-o-plate to see what's what and a dremel with a sanding drum to take them down. I'm not real familiar with grinders, so I just haven't gotten around to setting it up to do depth gauges yet. But yeah, having a second grinder to do them makes sense to me. Swapping wheels isn't a big chore, but it does require a little dinking around.

Altamaha

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I am thinking of putting a radius on a wheel for a nice rounded corner on the depth gauge. I have some diamond dressers for grinding wheels.

Now do it with a file plate and file, but this will change once the grinder arrives.

Looking forward to easier chain sharpening!