Advice on a new chain grinder

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was disappointed by the Diamond Brand CBN wheels that I received, but recognize that they might not have been representative of all.

Frustrating part of it was their sales office is 20 miles from my house, and I asked, several times, if I could stop in to discuss my concerns. They declined, and told me that I just needed to practice using a chain grinder.

Philbert

Tried their wheels twice burned cutters on the first wheel, contacted customer service, was told that the grit sometimes isn't exposed enough through the binder material and they would send a replacement.. Replacement did the same thing..returned and moved on.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Tried their wheels twice burned cutters on the first wheel, contacted customer service, was told that the grit sometimes isn't exposed enough through the binder material and they would send a replacement.. Replacement did the same thing..returned and moved on.
Yeah, I tried to intentionally 'burn' (overheat) a cutter, juts because the reviews said that they were less likely to do this. I was able to do this, although, again, it was intentional. But I could not grind much faster that with a well dressed AO wheel. There was definitely less dust produced that with my AO ('pink', green, whatever color vitrified) wheels. I was just not happy with the coarse grind; it might be acceptable to others. I might have been happy with a finer grit, but they blew me off as someone inexperienced with a grinder.

IMG_1013.jpg

Philbert

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I tried to intentionally 'burn' (overheat) a cutter, juts because the reviews said that they were less likely to do this. I was able to do this, although, again, it was intentional. But I could not grind much faster that with a well dressed AO wheel. There was definitely less dust produced that with my AO ('pink', green, whatever color vitrified) wheels. I was just not happy with the coarse grind; it might be acceptable to others. I might have been happy with a finer grit, but they blew me off as someone inexperienced with a grinder.

View attachment 326027

Philbert

Yep and a HUGE burr to boot..I ended up going square grind\ file and will probably never use anything else from here on out but it was definitely disappointing trying their wheels.

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@super3 had it done several years ago. Might be able to shed some light

I just tapped his pm box out of curiosity, just wondering about how the performance was without being able to chase the angles as the tooth wears back..forward lean in particular, I like a bit of self feeding and wouldn't you have to get a few CBN wheels in different profiles to address this? As the tooth wears back maybe change to a different wheel to keep up? Might be a option, but you'd need a few wheels to keep each style of tooth the same throughout its life, then what for the other profiles you like, another batch in different profiles? I think I'd need a numbering system to keep it all square..lol

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you Brad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do it through email and they will send you the the draft drawing for you to okay before putting into production

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do it through email and they will send you the the draft drawing for you to okay before putting into production

23df1d5ae0932400f1a57b5729bd6cd6.jpg

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just tapped his pm box out of curiosity, just wondering about how the performance was without being able to chase the angles as the tooth wears back..forward lean in particular, I like a bit of self feeding and wouldn't you have to get a few CBN wheels in different profiles to address this? As the tooth wears back maybe change to a different wheel to keep up? Might be a option, but you'd need a few wheels to keep each style of tooth the same throughout its life, then what for the other profiles you like, another batch in different profiles? I think I'd need a numbering system to keep it all square..lol
Seems like he had a raker wheel made. Not a square grind wheel.

If you lower the arm as the tooth wears out rather than advancing the tooth stop, you shouldn’t need different dresser angles or wheels.

Maintaining the corner would be my only concern. Even with cbn, I could see the corner potentially rounding off over time

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Has anyone looked into having a custom diamond wheel made for square grinding? I know it’s been asked before at times and the answer always is that nothing is currently built but I think it would be worth the price for a custom wheel to never have to dress it.

I was referring to this post..

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Seems like he had a raker wheel made. Not a square grind wheel.

Correct

Maintaining the corner would be my only concern. Even with cbn, I could see the corner potentially rounding off over time

Same thoughts I had and what grit also.
I like 60 for round but don't think that is going to be a good choice for a nice corner.

I called Diamond for a price to plate the blank I made.
They wanted 250+
Radiac done it for 80

mitchm1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Correct

Same thoughts I had and what grit also.
I like 60 for round but don't think that is going to be a good choice for a nice corner.

I called Diamond for a price to plate the blank I made.
They wanted 250+
Radiac done it for 80

Diamond should of done that cheaper
My raker wheel was 140

kielbasa

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, I'm in the same boat! I have spent a year with my super jolly and am ready to go the next level. Don't get me wrong, this grinder has paid for itself 3 times over in the past year and i do like it, but the "slop" since day one has just been bugging me. One option is for me to make all new bushings, bearing inserts, etc and really turn this into an industrial unit, but at some point that project will turn into a point of diminishing returns. Absolutely LOVE the hydraulic clamping feature, HUGE time saver. Would not even CONSIDER going back without one.
Looks like it has been mentioned in an earlier post, foot pedal for the USG - I think I'll have to look into that.
As far as CBN wheels, wow, I've simply EXCELLENT results. I'm using Foley Belsaw brand wheels.

kurtz

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, I'm in the same boat! I have spent a year with my super jolly and am ready to go the next level. Don't get me wrong, this grinder has paid for itself 3 times over in the past year and i do like it, but the "slop" since day one has just been bugging me. One option is for me to make all new bushings, bearing inserts, etc and really turn this into an industrial unit, but at some point that project will turn into a point of diminishing returns. Absolutely LOVE the hydraulic clamping feature, HUGE time saver. Would not even CONSIDER going back without one.
Looks like it has been mentioned in an earlier post, foot pedal for the USG - I think I'll have to look into that.
As far as CBN wheels, wow, I've simply EXCELLENT results. I'm using Foley Belsaw brand wheels.

I’ve only used the foley belsaw brand wheels and they work way better for me than the pink wheels. They’re fast and you’d have to try to get the cutter hot. I’m afraid if I’d get a wheel made by diamondwheelinc.com it wouldn’t work as good as the foley belsaw wheels.

Michpatriot

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve only used the foley belsaw brand wheels and they work way better for me than the pink wheels. They’re fast and you’d have to try to get the cutter hot. I’m afraid if I’d get a wheel made by diamondwheelinc.com it wouldn’t work as good as the foley belsaw wheels.

Stick with Foley I didn't have to try at all with the Diamond wheel brand.. bluing and burr came standard.

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Dan , I'll bring a Diamond cbn wheel up to your place and we can compare it to the foley belsaw wheels .

MG2186

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Where do you get the Foley wheels at? I’ve only used Diamond and ones from Ahlborn. I’ve like both, don’t burn the cutter, never have to dress them or reshape.

kurtz

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dan , I'll bring a Diamond cbn wheel up to your place and we can compare it to the foley belsaw wheels .

That’d be great. Thanks Brad.