Old Dirty Feta and the MS500i--the Hi-Tech Wood Lobotomizer

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
5:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Compare to the previous that it wear the Stihl Light, I really see no difference.. But the one with 28' tsumura, the log is larger..

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
1:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking good

So bar change made difference?

No. I'm thinking the flushing and running diesel/bar oil mix helped. I still don't think it would oil a 36, but 24-25 it's doing fine now.

First vid with the saw...20ES Light....second vids...28 Tsumura...finished cutting yesterday with a 24" Tsumura...3rd vid 25" ES Light.

Were those saws cold?

As in first start of the day? No.

The question for me is.....If Stihl have a form of "Air Injection" or "Centrifugal forced Air induction " (depending in the patents and terms ) on the 462 and decided not go with it on the 500i ...how come and why not.

Good question and not one I can answer...

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No. I'm thinking the flushing and running diesel/bar oil mix helped. I still don't think it would oil a 36, but 24-25 it's doing fine now.

First vid with the saw...20ES Light....second vids...28 Tsumura...finished cutting yesterday with a 24" Tsumura...3rd vid 25" ES Light.

It’s a very simple answer.
Ms500i design was introduced at the previous series of saws that’s why it resembles the 661-461 filter etc. only fashion improvement is the hockey mask filter.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If you gonna be around Athens after Wed i can give you a 36 to test.
I ll be cutting some trees at Monday so...

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score

Me ether ...it seems odd not to "if " the outcome is an improvement over not using it. The flywheel situation on the 500i is nothing like the norm so maybe that and the case come into the thinking. The designers will have gone through much to get to this design after all.
@nohoff . ??

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
12:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think the MS500i needs all the air for the cooling.
This saw gets real hot because everything is extrem tight.
The cooling air stream on the clutch side is extrem, just like a fan.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That makes sense, as one of the first things I noticed was the heat from the cylinder cover.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:icon_popcorn:, I am gonna agree with @Wilhelm, give me the 2x 7910 or 2x 681. This Xtreme heat of the saw Dan talks about I think could end up being a very big issue, thanks for taking the time Dan and doing this. You don't happen to have a stock 281 would you?

I've got a 281 P/C and a 181 chassis that I'm planning to build soon.

LouCi4er

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It seems that you made the saw running a little better with your oiling system work Dan but i believe that something is off with your saw.Either you have a lighting fast Dolmar or the MS500i you have is defective(don't oil enough problem or something similar,i am not sure).There is another thread here for the MS500i and Steph compares the 500i (ammong some other saws) with a 7910.In his videos,the 500i seems quite ahead of the 7910,kinda like the dolmar is less cc's.In your videos the dolmar is ahead of the 500i with some distance.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I can see how the specific cooling needs could figure in the mix. That in its self brings up another facet to the whole design discussion ...what makes this saw run so hot . Its still a cylinder in a plastic cover on a mag case after all , just like any other. Fuel injection being the major change ,but why would/could that give this motor a hot running issue to be factored in ?

That makes sense, as one of the first things I noticed was the heat from the cylinder cover.

Last edited:

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it inject the fuel right into the crank case? Does it maybe inject it late so the first bit of air from the transfers has no fuel like strato? That would make it run hotter since the fuel would absorb less heat from the crank case and piston than a carb saw.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It seems that you made the saw running a little better with your oiling system work Dan but i believe that something is off with your saw.Either you have a lighting fast Dolmar or the MS500i you have is defective(don't oil enough problem or something similar,i am not sure).There is another thread here for the MS500i and Steph compares the 500i (ammong some other saws) with a 7910.In his videos,the 500i seems quite ahead of the 7910,kinda like the dolmar is less cc's.In your videos the dolmar is ahead of the 500i with some distance.
In some German videos the 500i seems to be running more like a 572xp, but we know nothing about the chain, wood and so on.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see how the specific cooling needs could figure in the mix. That in its self brings up another facet to the hole design discussion ...what makes this saw run so hot . Its still a cylinder in a plastic cover on a mag case after all , just like any other. Fuel injection being the major change ,but why would/could that give this motor a hot running issue to be factored in ?
Since the fuel gets injected I would guess the engine runs on a much leaner mix than a carburetor fed power head.

LouCi4er

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In some German videos the 500i seems to be running more like a 572xp, but we know nothing about the chain, wood and so on.

I am far far from expert but Dan's saw seem (sound) gutless in the last video.I know this type of wood is very difficult because of the resin and the density of the wood but the saw sounds really sad.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am far far from expert but Dan's saw seem (sound) gutless in the last video.I know this type of wood is very difficult because of the resin and the density of the wood but the saw sounds really sad.
I think that is how they sound, in every video I've seen that is how they sound to me. Sound can be very deceiving IMHO, and doesn't necessarily mean the saw is gutless.