AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It sounds much better in this video and the cutting speed seems to be more in line with what I was imagining.

Despite what several people have said, videos are a good representation of a machine's performance if the variables are kept fairly consistent
and the operator is transparent about they operate the machine. Thank you for giving us a thorough look at this thing Dan.

My pleasure, JJ! Trying my best to offer everyone a solid look at the 500i. Had a few hiccups along the way, but all-in-all I think it's a good saw and it's going to wake up quite a bit more after a few more tanks of fuel.

I think there is a ton to be observed/learned from videos. A lot of variables come into play, but for the observant watcher they are very handy.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
lol 7 pin
404 chain
28 inch bar
square grind of mine
90 octane non ethanol yamalube2r
40:1
half a tank
90 degrees at 4:30 pm
humidity who knows
barometric pressure who knows
lol been cut down over a year
lol no hugs im not a granola eater
lol my buddys firewood pile
and hows you
How many dl?
I cant find the info in the net, only for 25 oder 30“ bars

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My pleasure, JJ! Trying my best to offer everyone a solid look at the 500i. Had a few hiccups along the way, but all-in-all I think it's a good saw and it's going to wake up quite a bit more after a few more tanks of fuel.
You are looking after 20-25 tanks for a more stable performance...

I think there is a ton to be observed/learned from videos. A lot of variables come into play, but for the observant watcher they are very handy.

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
10:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is just awesome. That machine will be a beast once completely broken in. Good technique as well, keeping it running while buried in the wood. Was an adjustment for me with my 462, looks to be the same for the 500i. Can’t wait to get my hands on it.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is just awesome. That machine will be a beast once completely broken in. Good technique as well, keeping it running while buried in the wood. Was an adjustment for me with my 462, looks to be the same for the 500i. Can’t wait to get my hands on it.
lol mine will be leaving after the ct gtg to be ported i think it will be a good saw stock but im addicted to ported saws

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Starting some mild mods today on the MS500i. Wanting to mod, reassemble and run it to track progress of every mod.

I have some basic info to post that will hopefully answer some questions that have been asked.

Parts...
- I found an IPL. I don't see an option for a wrap yet or a winter mesh filter. Bah.
- The handle is proprietary to the 500i. I have a 462 wrap here and it will not fit as is.
- The clutch cover is the cover for the 462 (1142), so the 462R model cover can be added to this saw.

Saw...
- After observing the way the saw runs and the muffler design, I believe it will gain quite a bit from modding the muffler.
- I have a couple of pre-filters I want to try to see if they help with controlling what collects in the filter pleats.
- The filter cover is entirely different than previous Stihl versions so increasing flow will probably mean opening holes in the cover.

TBC...

IMG_20190507_122640.jpg IMG_20190507_122813.jpg IMG_20190507_122818.jpg IMG_20190507_122910.jpg IMG_20190507_122919.jpg

Leafy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think that pre filter will help find one of the sock type ones with a big enough opening to go over the white flange and you'll be in business.

Do we have a diagram of how the fuel system works exactly? I wonder if it will actually automatically supply me fuel for a muffler mod or if we can increase the fuel pressure to help it do so.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't think that pre filter will help find one of the sock type ones with a big enough opening to go over the white flange and you'll be in business.

Do we have a diagram of how the fuel system works exactly? I wonder if it will actually automatically supply me fuel for a muffler mod or if we can increase the fuel pressure to help it do so.

Like I said, I'm just planning to test these pre-filters. I believe they will help keep the chips from lodging in the pleats.

My theory is that a lodged chip in the pleat has an effect like a dam...more and more debris collect on it. These are really easy to clean also.

As a second test, I have the oil-able sock type also from Rocky Mtn ATV.

For the muffler mod. I'm starting with more or less redirecting flow inside the muffler and opening the existing outlet a bit.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag