Need splitter, which one?

Agent Smith

Hack of all trades
Local time
5:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This one has fender rot, bed is solid. One frame mount for the cab is rough, but the cab is solid. It has a ecm problem, can't pull codes, but it starts and runs good. Stumbles on throttle. Fuel pressure was low, so replaced the pump. 13 psi all to time now. The wire you disconnect to set the timing doesn't change the timing. Voltages and grounds are present at the ecm. Temp sensor is good. May get around to it someday. Hauls wood just fine on the farm.
Had a 87 blazer 5spd with the 2.8 no performance v6 a long long time ago. Had that wire also you had to disconnect to set timing. I chased my tail for a few minutes on that one before I got a manual showing said wire needed unplugged. Learned something new that day

Reactions: Lnk

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a 87 blazer 5spd with the 2.8 no performance v6 a long long time ago. Had that wire also you had to disconnect to set timing. I chased my tail for a few minutes on that one before I got a manual showing said wire needed unplugged. Learned something new that day
Ford does the same thing, they call it a spout connector. Disconnect, set timing to 10 btdc, plug it back in. Chevy you set to zero, then reconnect. Some call it a pcm, some an ecm. I get nomenclature all messed up all the time. Probably sell the Chevy so I only have ford's. Just to make it easier for my old brain.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Then I would need a new truck to go with my new saw....lol. I am down to 5 saws....hmmm!

Five! You only have five saws??? Forget about the truck, you have yourself a near full blown crisis level saw deficiency emergency on your hands here! :eek:

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Five! You only have five saws??? Forget about the truck, you have yourself a near full blown crisis level saw deficiency emergency on your hands here! :eek:
That's because I gave 2 away, I let go my wild thang to some guy for a build off. And I gave away a husky 51 to a co-worker who just bought a house. Money was tight for them. Told them they had to pay it forward someday. I was using my 2094 and 488 yesterday. Rebuilding a 695, just waiting on seals. I don't want a ported saw, cause then I will always want ported saws I figure. Like race cars, drive a faster, better handling car, and normal cars now suck.

I was wrong, I have 6. Forgot about that other 2094 I have to finish. The 039 and the eager beaver! So I get a reprieve, right?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's because I gave 2 away, I let go my wild thang to some guy for a build off. And I gave away a husky 51 to a co-worker who just bought a house. Money was tight for them. Told them they had to pay it forward someday. I was using my 2094 and 488 yesterday. Rebuilding a 695, just waiting on seals. I don't want a ported saw, cause then I will always want ported saws I figure. Like race cars, drive a faster, better handling car, and normal cars now suck.

I was wrong, I have 6. Forgot about that other 2094 I have to finish. The 039 and the eager beaver! So I get a reprieve, right?

No ported saws? It's worse than I thought...

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No ported saws? It's worse than I thought...
I don't want to be ruint! I know how this works. If someone sent me a ported saw for free, I would send it right back. I enjoy the ignorance of stock saws. I don't race saws, and I am fine with what I have. Thanks for trying though!

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't want to be ruint! I know how this works. If someone sent me a ported saw for free, I would send it right back. I enjoy the ignorance of stock saws. I don't race saws, and I am fine with what I have. Thanks for trying though!

Being happy with what you have is just fine. What you have is stock saws. You would still have the same saws after porting, but they would run so much cooler and stronger. They should last longer too. None of us are talking about race saws here, that's a completely different topic. We are talking about woods porting, where the saw runs cooler and makes a little more power. It runs the way it should have from the factory.

I understand your hesitancy. Ported saws are not for everyone, but I think everyone should run one at least once. I never saw the appeal of a ported saw either until I ported a little homelite that wouldn't cut butter. I figured it didn't cost me anything and it couldn't get any worse. I ended up with a saw that actually cut wood. I have now ported all of my saws and love them. They run much better and have better manners. They don't flood out and they tune very well. More productive too.

Mastermind is in Jamestown and would probably let you run a few of his saws if you wanted to. I bet several members here are pretty close to you as well. A ported saw won't ruin you, but it will show you how well your saws could be running. I spend a lot less time cutting, which gives me more time to cut, lol. I get a lot more done with my saws now than I ever did when they were stock. I can spend 20 minutes doing what would have taken me close to an hour. That means I can get more done in the same time and have more time to do other things, like spending time with my family.

I made a 4 way for my splitter too, and that saves me a PILE of time. It is easily 3x faster than the single wedge and is less work.

Avoiding ported saws because you are afraid you will get hooked seems silly. I am sure you have seen videos of ported saws. Why not try it? If you don't like it, that's fine. If you do like it, it's another thing that brings you joy and makes you more productive. I don't see a downside, and it certainly won't ruin you. I still run stock saws once in a while. I own 2 that are not ported, a 345 and a 372xp.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Being happy with what you have is just fine. What you have is stock saws. You would still have the same saws after porting, but they would run so much cooler and stronger. They should last longer too. None of us are talking about race saws here, that's a completely different topic. We are talking about woods porting, where the saw runs cooler and makes a little more power. It runs the way it should have from the factory.

I understand your hesitancy. Ported saws are not for everyone, but I think everyone should run one at least once. I never saw the appeal of a ported saw either until I ported a little homelite that wouldn't cut butter. I figured it didn't cost me anything and it couldn't get any worse. I ended up with a saw that actually cut wood. I have now ported all of my saws and love them. They run much better and have better manners. They don't flood out and they tune very well. More productive too.

Mastermind is in Jamestown and would probably let you run a few of his saws if you wanted to. I bet several members here are pretty close to you as well. A ported saw won't ruin you, but it will show you how well your saws could be running. I spend a lot less time cutting, which gives me more time to cut, lol. I get a lot more done with my saws now than I ever did when they were stock. I can spend 20 minutes doing what would have taken me close to an hour. That means I can get more done in the same time and have more time to do other things, like spending time with my family.

I made a 4 way for my splitter too, and that saves me a PILE of time. It is easily 3x faster than the single wedge and is less work.

Avoiding ported saws because you are afraid you will get hooked seems silly. I am sure you have seen videos of ported saws. Why not try it? If you don't like it, that's fine. If you do like it, it's another thing that brings you joy and makes you more productive. I don't see a downside, and it certainly won't ruin you. I still run stock saws once in a while. I own 2 that are not ported, a 345 and a 372xp.
Nice post, buto be clear, my comment was partly tongue in cheek. I used to teach high performance driving, and never had the fastest car. I drove many of my students cars, some of which were awesome, a couple unbelievable. I never really wanted one, even after driving them. I enjoyed wringing neck of whatever I drove to extract the most from it. I assume ported saws are like those amazing cars, and I also know how hard porters worked on their trade. I would try one, and enjoy it. As I only need a couple cords a year, I have no need for one. Thanks for spelling out a well written explanation though.

Larry

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The level of performance depends on the model and how it is ported, so you will see a range similar to cars, mild to wild. Figure a 30-40% gain for a ballpark. Some are more, some less, but that's a pretty reasonable range.

Reactions: Lnk

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe he can sharpen a chain extremely well, open his muffler up and cut all the firewood he needs for couple years.

Yeah struck me as rather arrogant to assume what might best suit someone else.

All good guys, I don't have a problem with someone being passionate about something. He isn't being pushy, I assume he gets pleasure making and running ported saws. I probably would enjoy running one, but I don't need one. No harm done! Thanks

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All good guys, I don't have a problem with someone being passionate about something. He isn't being pushy, I assume he gets pleasure making and running ported saws. I probably would enjoy running one, but I don't need one. No harm done! Thanks

Thats better than what most here get pleasure doing.

mainer_in_ak

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The new Kohler pro 14 is an excellent engine. In my industry we use a lot of pony Motors 390, 620, 630 etc. There is a shortage of Honda motors. I needed a replacement motor earlier in the year and searched all over the east coast. One of the major suppliers told me that they had a pallet of Honda motors but they were told by the Honda rep that once those were gone there would not be any more avail in the US til Dec 2023. This shortage has caused several in my industry to start testing the Kohler on the equipment we use. Everything I have heard is positive. Some like it better than the Honda. Others have said to not pay more or go out of the way for the Honda, the Kohler is just as good.

Yep, I've had good luck with those Kohler 14hp too Bryan. Quiet and even has a cold weather setting for air intake, to keep carb from icing up.

Like you, I've been unimpressed with Honda. All of the GX Hondas are made in China, hence the back-ordered issues and lack of inventory. The B&S Vanguards are no longer made by Daihatsu-Japan. So small motors are getting stupid. Yamaha are in the game now, they acquired Robin-Suburu so will test them out this spring.

Had a customer wait 7 months, for the new fuel injected honda IGX 800. Was total bllsht. We gave up and ended up shipping a gx 690 all the way from Minnesota to Alaska. He missed his Moose hunting season, but at least we completed his boat build:
IMG-20211030-161054-262.jpg

alfack

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:36 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I went with the Super Splitter + Honda engine. It has been great. Sometimes it is tough hefting those large wet rounds up on the table. I would say that's the only downfall. Can get very high production rates tho.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I went with the Super Splitter + Honda engine. It has been great. Sometimes it is tough hefting those large wet rounds up on the table. I would say that's the only downfall. Can get very high production rates tho.

I really like my hd Honda SS. Only gripe is keeping the various roller bearings clean. You might want to look into a ptfe based dry lube like Interflon super fine or WD40:
https://www.wd40.com/products/dry-lube/

they will keep your machine running smooth and actually repel dirt and moisture. I keep a can in the tool box I added along with making the tow bar removable so it doesn’t get buried under the massive piles of wood the SS makes in a hurry.
14807972-7297-49A3-A189-F15C6CBBE681.jpeg F1AF5EB3-1F53-4A85-BDA2-23B344685FDA.jpeg 6EDDA574-0B1F-4BCA-8973-7CACEE08AEE1.jpeg EFB5F3A2-7552-402B-BF15-EEFAA43F1422.jpeg EE3E5C4C-6BA2-4078-9CB8-6DB5FAE49D6F.jpeg