sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man, that is tempting at that price.

On the other hand, I'm sinking $120 into a saw that parts aren't ever going to be made for again. Next time I need a part, what is that going to look like?

I hate to say it since they're such great saws, but I'm looking to get away from Dolmar before the parts market escalates even more.

Smart.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
6:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a firewood cutter who gets his own trees. I don't sell any wood. That translates to around 4-5 cords a year.

I've been running a Dolmar 6400 and a little Echo limbing saw for... 8 or 9 years now.

It's time to retire the Dolmar. The parts are outrageous, and getting harder to find. The Echo is getting up there in age, but at least I can get parts for that one.

My new saw needs to be able to pull a chain around at least a 27" bar, have parts that are both obtainable (looking at you, Dolmar) and cost less than a new saw (looking at you, Stihl). I'd like to keep it over 65cc and under $1000 if I can. I grind my own chains, and I don't need extra displacement to compensate for dull cutters. I also don't want to deal with any company that railroads you into their dealers to get parts (looking at you again, Stihl).

Right now I'm kind of thinking an Echo CS-680 (and also eyeballing the CS-7310, even though it's on the high end of my price range). I don't really know how big the difference between the Echo homeowner saws and the Echo pro saws is. Husky's 372XP is also in that range, and that seems like a saw I could work with.

I'm assuming that almost everything in the range I'm looking at is going to have some kind of an auto-tuning carb. I've been adjusting carbs for a while, and would just as soon skip that feature unless it actually works as advertised.

Appreciate any thoughts! :)
You already have made up your mind. Buy an Echo.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dolmar PS-6400 birdcage, non stainless steel, non CAT, non SLR muffler is ~70$ from Germany + shipping.

Also, I welded stainless steel sheets with my crappy supermarket flux core welder, just needed stainless steel flux core wire.
Looked ugly, but was inseparable.
So, that is not rocket science.

If the 3 muffler mount threads in the cylinder are good get a new or used muffler and keep running that saw!

P.S./Edit:
Same pricing on the SLR muffler!
This one features the additional muffler brace mounting holes.

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I the only one thinking just buy a new 7900 (they are still out there) and keep the 6400 as a parts mule🤷🏼‍♂️
Run both and divide the load therefore increasing life expectancy!
That is my solution to being able to run Dolmar saws as long as I am alive anyways.

Also, it is easier to keep a parts supply when they fit both/multiple saws!

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I the only one thinking just buy a new 7900 (they are still out there) and keep the 6400 as a parts mule🤷🏼‍♂️

Or just weld the broken muffler with a mig.
It will work just fine, it just won't have the rust resistant properties of the stainless.
And buy the 7900.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it is just the muffler I see no issue! :thinking: :confundio1:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PS-6400/7300/7900 mufflers don't rust and they aren't Stainless.
If You have rusting mufflers You need to rethink Your saw storing!

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I eluded to that to an extent as it fit his budget and they are quality built saws in my opinion.

But with literally hundreds of builder carcasses out there in the 266/268/272 Red 625/630/670 you would be in a quality ported build that parts will be plentiful for years well under the budget price. (If that’s the primary concern)

It won’t be new, but you literally have the evidence they were built well enough in the 80’s to still be usable/rebuildable today. I have owned an 83 266, and own an 87 268 that were/are all original and still running just fine.

Last edited:

Fun2Cut

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Run both and divide the load therefore increasing life expectancy!
That is my solution to being able to run Dolmar saws as long as I am alive anyways.

Also, it is easier to keep a parts supply when they fit both/multiple saws!
Now I understand why some of us need fewer saws… We don’t run Dolmar… then we aren’t worried about dividing the load, life expectancy, etc… We just run one good saw and don’t need all the back up saws…😉

Sorry bud, just couldn’t help the dig…🤓

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I understand why some of us need fewer saws… We don’t run Dolmar… then we aren’t worried about dividing the load, life expectancy, etc… We just run one good saw and don’t need all the back up saws…😉

Yet You peeps run after AM parts for Your saw of choice!

Sorry, couldn't resist with a comeback. :thumbsup:

For me it is a hobby.
If I only had my PS-6400 I'd be set for life!

bryanr2

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well placed “shot” bud. 😂

Fun2Cut

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yet You peeps run after AM parts for Your saw of choice!

Sorry, couldn't resist with a comeback. :thumbsup:

For me it is a hobby.
If I only had my PS-6400 I'd be set for life!
You calling me a peep? 🫣 😀

Thanks to AM parts availability, OEM’s need to be more competitively priced. But that doesn’t mean we suck up all the AM parts we can find… 😉

Hey it’s mostly a hobby thing for me too, this saw stuff. But it sure is a good one!

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well placed “shot” bud. 😂
How many "parts" non Dolmar saws are in the classifieds?
How many Dolmar's are in the classifieds?
That shot is a blank, lots of noise, no effect! ;)

I'll take the Dolmar's since they aren't worth a poop, and You go with the other brands.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You calling me a peep? 🫣 😀

Thanks to AM parts availability, OEM’s need to be more competitively priced. But that doesn’t mean we suck up all the AM parts we can find… 😉

Hey it’s mostly a hobby thing for me too, this saw stuff. But it sure is a good one!
I agree!
Availability of AM parts curbs OEM parts price gorging , but not whole new unit pricing.

All for fun!
Live and let live. :beer-toast1:

Fun2Cut

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many "parts" non Dolmar saws are in the classifieds?
How many Dolmar's are in the classifieds?
That shot is a blank, lots of noise, no effect! ;)

I'll take the Dolmar's since they aren't worth a, and You go with the other brands.
Ain’t none get to the classifieds cause Dolmar guys need to buy them for yet another load division factor before they’re even “for sailing”… 😂 Ok I’ll stop poking 🤭

There’s no offence taken on my part @Wilhelm ! I can act like the hackles on my neck are all on end, but in reality, I strongly believe each to his own. If a guy gets something he didn’t want in the first place, he’ll never be happy with it and it will always be a terrible thorn in the flesh. I like my Husq. but am glad others keep other brands in business too!!

Btw… sometimes I do dumb stuff too… 390xp… 16” bar… 10tooth sprocket… 🔥

Attachments

• IMG_0747.jpeg
    IMG_0747.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 6

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ain’t none get to the classifieds cause Dolmar guys need to buy them for yet another load division factor before they’re even “for sailing”… 😂 Ok I’ll stop poking 🤭

There’s no offence taken on my part @Wilhelm ! I can act like the hackles on my neck are all on end, but in reality, I strongly believe each to his own. If a guy gets something he didn’t want in the first place, he’ll never be happy with it and it will always be a terrible thorn in the flesh. I like my Husq. but am glad others keep other brands in business too!!

Btw… sometimes I do dumb stuff too… 390xp… 16” bar… 10tooth sprocket… 🔥
Musta' been cold that day!
My condolences!

😜