Another stupid "what saw should I buy" thread

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
3:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To me, with the talk of a 28" bar, a 70cc is a bit overwhelmed in constant use. I'd want an 80cc or up personally.

Cutting four or five cord a year, with proper maintenance and good fresh mix(not endorsing ANY particular oil here) a new 7900 should last forever.

That said, I'd dig a little deeper on Lougle and find a muffler for the 6400. Well, I'd dig in the parts stash first and grab one, but if I didn't have those boxes...

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Or just weld the broken muffler with a mig.
It will work just fine, it just won't have the rust resistant properties of the stainless.
And buy the 7900.
3 saw plan dictates having 3 of each model amiright…
I eluded to that to an extent as it fit his budget and they are quality built saws in my opinion.

But with literally hundreds of builder carcasses out there in the 266/268/272 Red 625/630/670 you would be in a quality ported build that parts will be plentiful for years well under the budget price. (If that’s the primary concern)

It won’t be new, but you literally have the evidence they were built well enough in the 80’s to still be usable/rebuildable today. I have owned an 83 266, and own an 87 268 that were/are all original and still running just fine.
Both good ideas. 2 series Huskies were rock solid. Really though Dolmar parts aren’t all that hard to come by. Seems to me the op is just looking for a reason to buy a new saw.🤷🏼‍♂️

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I chewed on it a while, and I think I'm keeping the Dolmar for occasional use, and I'll get a Husky for my daily driver.

I'm wiffling around the 60-70cc huskies still. Looks Bartlett is selling the 562 XP with a 24" bar for $730 with free shipping ... which makes it attractive compared to the 565 or 365 x-torq, both of which seem to run $300 more.

Every time I think I'll pull the trigger on the 562 XP, I start feeling like maybe 60cc isn't enough grunt for getting through all the wet oak I get through, so I'm still shopping for a cheaper place to get a 565 or 365.

At this point it's really just descended into mental illness; I'll pick something sooner or later. (Maybe I'll even end up with the 60cc husky as a backup saw and keep running the Dolmar as my daily driver; it really is a good saw.)

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I chewed on it a while, and I think I'm keeping the Dolmar for occasional use, and I'll get a Husky for my daily driver.

I'm wiffling around the 60-70cc huskies still. Looks Bartlett is selling the 562 XP with a 24" bar for $730 with free shipping ... which makes it attractive compared to the 565 or 365 x-torq, both of which seem to run $300 more.

Every time I think I'll pull the trigger on the 562 XP, I start feeling like maybe 60cc isn't enough grunt for getting through all the wet oak I get through, so I'm still shopping for a cheaper place to get a 565 or 365.

At this point it's really just descended into mental illness; I'll pick something sooner or later. (Maybe I'll even end up with the 60cc husky as a backup saw and keep running the Dolmar as my daily driver; it really is a good saw.)
FYI the site owner is having a sale on Husky saws through Oct 31st:

Will be as good a time as any to buy a new saw.

Fun2Cut

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Just buy that 562 before you get a 365. Nicer ergonomics better power to weight ratio, etc. etc. etc. Just do it. It’ll only bite once. After you put your new 562 into wood, you will be so busy enjoying it, you won’t have time to come back here and tell us how much you like it! Nor will you remember how he price tag anymore…

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you’re keeping the 64cc saw why not step up and look at a 390? Pull a 28”+ no sweat. I’ve not noticed mine to really weigh me down or tire me out. Just a weekend warrior’s opinion

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI the site owner is having a sale on Husky saws through Oct 31st:

Will be as good a time as any to buy a new saw.

Hey, that 565 for $740 hits my price point and my 70cc displacement target.

I may well go with that. :)

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Buy which ever has the best support closest to you. This is a tool. As much as I love all the saw brands, the power, the porting etc...this is a tool. If your echo dealer is the best around, buy that 7310. I hear a lot of folk like them. If the husky dealer is the best, buy the 572. Stout saws.

I don't buy new Stihls because I'm not interested in their outrageously expensive tools or parts. They're excellent, don't get me wrong...but they aren't THAT excellent. That being said, it's your money and the tool you will use for your work. A 462 is a great saw. Light, powerful, well built.

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any updates did you decide on a new saw?

jetsam

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any updates did you decide on a new saw?

Yeah, I bought the 565 from Gentleman.

I was a bit nervous about the dodgy looking paypal process, but there's a lot of posts here from satisfied customers, so that got me through it.

Saw was shipped right away, was as advertised and undamaged. 565 + shipping + 28" B&C was $840, which is the best deal I was able to find anywhere.

Looking forward to getting some wood chips on it! (It hardly looks like a chainsaw right now, so shiny!) =D

One more plug for ope: I would have either paid more or ended up with a smaller saw if I hadn't come here to hem and haw about it first :p Thanks again!

saw.jpg

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
7:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I bought the 565 from Gentleman.

I was a bit nervous about the dodgy looking paypal process, but there's a lot of posts here from satisfied customers, so that got me through it.

Saw was shipped right away, was as advertised and undamaged. 565 + shipping + 28" B&C was $840, which is the best deal I was able to find anywhere.

Looking forward to getting some wood chips on it! (It hardly looks like a chainsaw right now, so shiny!) =D

One more plug for ope: I would have either paid more or ended up with a smaller saw if I hadn't come here to hem and haw about it first :p Thanks again!

View attachment 393825
Nice! Spray you some Amsoil MudSlinger on that beauty to keep it looking that way for longer.

(Please forgive the naff cherry fragrance, but the stuff works I promise).

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There will be piles of parts and even clones soon. No idea when the patents expire, but we will know.

TheWizard

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At 120yrs old ,you might want to consider having someone else take over firewood duty.
in my younger days I was once told by an old farmer after I said I had a log burner.... "oh you'll never be cold with a wood burning stove, you'll always be cutting f###### wood"
How right he was😊

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Saw was shipped right away, was as advertised and undamaged. 565 + shipping + 28"
Never worried about doing business with Bruce, stand up person! Always been a pleasure to deal with.