jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:25 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also wondered what happened to Rotax Robert, Al - Apparently he's not been active with the "Predator" in the last few years. The most recent pictures/video
I've been able to find of it date from 2008 I think.

NPKenny

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Funny, the Predator spent a week on Phoenix craigslist about a year ago. Local posting for an enormous amount of money. A bit out of place but maybe he’s on the move.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got time to do more 125 build stuff today, and wanted to go over the on/off switch, kill wire, and trigger replacement. The trigger in my current tank was broken and the on/off switch
wasn't working anymore. The 125's use a plastic on/off button with a plastic slide and a copper grounding tab. The kill switch wire screws into the on/off button and hooks to a grounding
tab on the coil. It's a simple, smart design but the wire has a plastic coating which hardens over time and breaks. It's easy enough to make a new replacement with bulk wire, heat shrink,
and crimp connectors.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To install the mess - I start with taping the on/off switch knob to the tank, and the lining up the copper grounding tab. Then I bend the end of the kill switch wire and insert the clamping screw,
and line it all up and gently start the screw.

Last edited:

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Installing the throttle trigger - You have to pull the throttle rod back a bit to get clearance from the pistol grip. Then you hook the trigger to the rod, and keep the tension spring
tucked inside the piston grip. On any used tank, there should be witness marks where the back of the tension spring rests.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Getting ready to install the tank on the short block - I usually pull the impulse hose out of the tank and install it on the manifold first. I also get the manual oiler rod lined up
and set the manual oiler button out about halfway.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the hardest part for most people is getting the intake boot worked on, especially if it's used and has stiffened up over time. I keep a longer flat-head screwdriver inserted in the lower part
of the intake boot spring while I'm working the whole mess on, and then use the screwdriver to carefully work the boot on. You'll feel it kind of 'snap' into place when the retaining lip of the boot
meshes up with the rolled lip on the manifold.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use these tools mainly when installing the tank - long flat head screwdriver and long, curved needle nose pliers. McCulloch had a specialty tool for installing the
boot which sort of looked like a cross between a ball joint/tie rod fork and a spatula. It allowed the technician to apply even pressure on the bottom of the boot
while slipping it on the manifold.

p61 western

Ol Mudflap
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use these tools mainly when installing the tank - long flat head screwdriver and long, curved needle nose pliers. McCulloch had a specialty tool for installing the
boot which sort of looked like a cross between a ball joint/tie rod fork and a spatula. It allowed the technician to apply even pressure on the bottom of the boot
while slipping it on the manifold.

Looking good Jacob. I will dig that coil out and hopefully get it out Tuesday.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks good! Did you add some chrome? Like that bar! 40” cannon?

This is another one and I had that chrome shroud laying around from a 101b I bought off of rearviewkarts.com years ago. This is the third 125 I've built in the last six weeks.

I'm giving this one to my cousin to commemorate his dad who passed away in September. His dad (my uncle) was a long time timber faller here who started his career in 1971
with the 125s. The bar is a 42" Cannon with some new old stock Carlton .404" chisel chain from the 70's. I bought two new rolls of it from a retired dealer in Forest Grove about 15
years ago. Carlton chain back then was badazz.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is another one and I had that chrome shroud laying around from a 101b I bought off of rearviewkarts.com years ago. This is the third 125 I've built in the last six weeks.

I'm giving this one to my cousin to commemorate his dad who passed away in September. His dad (my uncle) was a long time timber faller here who started his career in 1971
with the 125s. The bar is a 42" Cannon with some new old stock Carlton .404" chisel chain from the 70's. I bought two new rolls of it from a retired dealer in Forest Grove about 15
years ago. Carlton chain back then was badazz.
Cool, it did look different from the others! The chrome always looks great! That’s a nice bar for sure!
Was that running a 7 or 8 pin rim with the 404?
That makes for a gift and remembrance! Good job!

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice JJ, Sounds great. A little tip to installing the intake boot
to the intake manifold. I used stp oil treatment on both the boot and
manifold, The old style stp is slicker than snot on a door knob. Boot
pops right on with a little push with a screw driver.