• Total voters

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I now this is going to be like Stihl vs Husky vs Dolmar vs Echo but who do you think makes the best ATV? I've always had Hondas but Can Am has become the most popular around here in the past few years. I have a second hand 2003 Honda Recon that has been dead nuts reliable with the only things that have been replaced is the battery, air filter, and fluids. It did have a broken pull start rope when I got it but that's it.
I plan on giving the Recon to my 12 year old son and I'd like something larger with 4x4. What brand of ATV do you prefer?

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We all drive Polaris, my brother has had yamaha, Suzuki and Honda, then he switched to Polaris.

Steve

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
12:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have three Polaris 500's. Two 4x4's and a 6x6. The newest is from 2000 and all have been good machines. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
I have friends with Honda's and they've had good luck with them.
I also have a friend with an Artic Cat, he's had issues.

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always been a Suzuki guy. I think Honda makes a good product as well, though. I only have experience with riding one CanAM, and it was so big, that you might as well get a SxS, in my opinion.

As long as you stay away from the Chicom knockoffs, you'll probably do just fine.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a Suzuki king quad when they were 300cc. It got worked hard it's whole life til bearings went out in the rear axle around 3400 miles. Also had a 500 arctic cat that was flawless and used like a small truck.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had Honda Polaris arctic cat and Yamaha. I found honda to be the most reliable. I did test drive a can am once and it was really comfortable.
That is my only knock on the Foreman that I have, it is not real comfy to trail ride with but it is deadnutz reliable. If mine had a gopro mounted to it from day one I`d be a millionaire by selling testimonial vids to Honda. I think that the newer ones that have independent rear suspension are a smoother ride.

2manyhounds

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What are you going to be doing with it? Honda= Workhorse and they ask for more. CanAls are fast and fun but I've seen lots of issue coming from hard working them/sliding firewood out and such.Polaris Sportsman used to have the same issues, not sure of the newer models, snow plowing would pop the welds on the frame. Haven't had many issues with my cat yet, but it does eat batteries/ brand new one every year. And I think I have a front wheel bearing going out, but that's for years of plowing/skidding out firewood. Our old foreman has had nothing done but oil changes and tires last year in 20 years.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
10:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Arctic cat. Worked on most the major brands, Arctic cat comes out on top for quality, parts availability, and overall durability.

But it all comes down to.....they are all nice machines.....until you have to work on them. In my experience, Arctic cat is by far the easiest to work on....especially when it comes to comparing new machines.

Been my experience as a mechanic and I am sure someone will do their best to try and prove me wrong. lol

PissRev

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@2manyhounds I want it for trail riding, riding back roads to the river swamp, getting around on the hunting lease which can get really muddy when it rains, and it would be nice to be able skid some logs too. My ladyfriend rides everywhere with me so having room for 2 would be nice. That being said, we both ride the Recon at the same time and it's just about the smallest ATV out there besides the kid ones.

There are a few ATV parks around here but the machines have to be snorkeled out because of the deep water. I really don't like abusing my equipment so that's why I probably wouldn't even try to go to these places. The Young Bucks at work go 4-wheeling there with those 1000CC Can Am quads and for a lack of a better term, abuse the heck out of their machines.

Thanks to all who replied. I do have 2 dealers locally. 1 sells Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki. The other sells Yamaha and Polaris. I have to drive 30 miles to get to an Artic Cat and Can Am dealer.

brandonstclair20

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
China,
Just kidding. I'd say Yamaha. I have one that have been used constantly since the 80s and it's still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam_choq

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can have a 570 can-am at a good price with the same power of the biguest japanees quad . But dont know if its snapy like the kawi 750 engine , and can say dont have any issue with my kawi at 6000kilo i run it in mud , sand , snow plow 20160904_161227.jpg