372xt, 036, MS460, 064. Keep two and sell two...or 1

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the dog and wife are refusing to leave. I'm in agreement the 036 should go first, so that might have to be a compromise. As far as 50cc goes, I had an 026 that I gave to my brother because it didn’t feel much different to me then the 036, just down on power. The other thing I am noticing is how hard it is to find parts for an 064 compared to every other saw I’ve had. You would think with how many people refuse to get rid of them there would be more parts.
Just about every 064 part is still available from you local Stihl dealer so parts shouldn't be an issue on that saw. I love a 036 so that would stay. The XT would go.

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
... I find myself grabbing the 372 first because it’s just so smooth. I’m here for opinions, what would a good two saw plan be? I only cut 4-6 cords a year and do the odd tree job with a friend.
Suggestions for two saw plan... If the 372 works for you, don't mess with what works. The 460 is a dependable falling saw and, in my experience, it can run a 32" bar w/full skip chain in hardwood. Keep it. You don't need the other two. Porting used saws is risky without a careful rebuild, including piston, main bearings & seals.

Last edited:

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You mention "my wife" in the first sentence in both paragraphs of your opening post...that's a dead nuts ringer young man you might wanna toss keys on that ball and chain model.

Now, I will afford you this beings you're all new here and stuffs...fortunately we have an on-site marriage expert, counselor, therapist who is the real deal and can prob assist you in working this situation out, and you're liable to end up with all your saws. It might be a little painful to start with, things you may not want to hear/visualize, but it'll get better and this guy is worth his weight in scrap aluminum....I meant gold. He's a man of many talents and a very busy man at that, but feel certain he'll take time to help a junior member in need of his services.

Mr. @dall will you please introduce yourself to Mr. Zackeepr1.

Last edited:

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
...and have plenty of vim and vigor to hang with the oe once ported, might lose in a race in a 8 inch pine cant, but in a big ol' chnk of hardwood, you betcha its got the stuff. ;)

I forget sometimes that softwood cants are the measure of a saw.

I've never done it.

Zackeepr1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m liking where this is going. The xt is a great saw and I don’t think I could find an oe in the same condition where I am. It does seem that the 036 is getting some attention, anyone have an idea what a good example goes for these days?

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will agree with the others, new wife.

Option B, sell the 036, get the 460 or 372 ported. I got a lot more time behind a ported 70cc Stihl but have ran a few ported 372s. The 372 will be easier on the hands if you run them all day. Either one ported will make you wonder why you waited so long to get it done. You will prolly want sell the 064 afterwards also.

JIMG

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My workshop happens to be about 100 yards from the front door. Shop visits from my dear wife are rare. This might be an effective strategy for you too.