Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
3:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PPE, Safety Gear, whatever you want to call it, is only effective if it’s worn. Pay for what is comfortable to you. If it’s not comfortable, you’ll find an excuse not to use it.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
PPE, Safety Gear, whatever you want to call it, is only effective if it’s worn. Pay for what is comfortable to you. If it’s not comfortable, you’ll find an excuse not to use it.
I found several pair in a tool bag this morning... must have bought them when I bought the sawsall.
I put them in, according to instructions, and fired up my vacuum cleaner - I love it, it's always worked great, but it sounds like a jet engine.
Not today! Still could hear the motor and the high pitch whine, but no where near as without the plugs.
The plugs though, had a hard time getting them all the way in my ear. Applied pressure for the count of 60, but by the time I finished with the vacuum half the plug is outside my ear canal. But, still, they are doing a great job. I tested, like it said in the instructions, and cupped my hand over my ear and sound was the same.
The heater came on and I didn't hear it - felt the heat when I stepped over the grate. :cool:
Waiting to see how much of the fridge noise they muffle out. (that's another story. I have a replacement compressor fan/motor/grommets I'm going to attempt to install)
Going to leave the plugs in for a while and see if I can get some control of the tinnitus since that's about all I am hearing now.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Really helped me a lot.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found several pair in a tool bag this morning... must have bought them when I bought the sawsall.
I put them in, according to instructions, and fired up my vacuum cleaner - I love it, it's always worked great, but it sounds like a jet engine.
Not today! Still could hear the motor and the high pitch whine, but no where near as without the plugs.
The plugs though, had a hard time getting them all the way in my ear. Applied pressure for the count of 60, but by the time I finished with the vacuum half the plug is outside my ear canal. But, still, they are doing a great job. I tested, like it said in the instructions, and cupped my hand over my ear and sound was the same.
The heater came on and I didn't hear it - felt the heat when I stepped over the grate. :cool:
Waiting to see how much of the fridge noise they muffle out. (that's another story. I have a replacement compressor fan/motor/grommets I'm going to attempt to install)
Going to leave the plugs in for a while and see if I can get some control of the tinnitus since that's about all I am hearing now.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Really helped me a lot.
My ears ring constantly. I feel your pain. And the ringing drowns out some frequencies of other noises - I can hear some people talk hardly at all, while others I can hear crystal clear.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My ears ring constantly. I feel your pain. And the ringing drowns out some frequencies of other noises - I can hear some people talk hardly at all, while others I can hear crystal clear.
How long have you had tinnitus?
This is all new to me.

I watched a very good video the other day, makes perfect sense to me... and I'm hoping I can make this go away, one way or another.

At the least, using the plugs and muffs, hopefully, I won't be damaging my hearing any more with the loud noises.
I honestly think the covid virus caused the damage in my case. I found a report on how it affects the cilia in the nasal cavity - no stretch of the imagination to think it could also damage the cilia in the ear.
But, a lot of people get tinnitus from other ways also.
It could have also been the two shingles shots I got in the past six months.... or, something else altogether.

Last edited:

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How long have you had tinnitus?
This is all new to me.

I watched a very good video the other day, makes perfect sense to me... and I'm hoping I can make this go away, one way or another.

At the least, using the plugs and muffs, hopefully, I won't be damaging my hearing any more with the loud noises.
I honestly think the covid virus caused the damage in my case. I found a report on how it affects the cilia in the nasal cavity - no stretch of the imagination to think it could also damage the cilia in the ear.
But, a lot of people get tinnitus from other ways also.
I have had it mildly for 10+ years, until about 2 years ago I was exposed to a loud blast indoors and that did some serious damage to both ears, mostly the left ear though. It took over a week to “regain” hearing in my left ear after that single event. Ever since then the ringing is much more pronounced and never goes away.

The initial onset was from playing drums, listening to rock n roll too loud, timing engines in a dyno room without ear muffs, etc - youth and stupidity being responsible for most of that...

My biggest fear of it, is not only losing more hearing, but depression/sanity. I did some research a couple years ago after the event that caused much more damage, and I read a lot about how suicide rates are higher with people who have severe cases - the constant ringing, as it persists and gets worse, can drive people insane.. So far so good here. I mostly try not to think about it. It does not affect my sleep for the most part, and that was a major factor in the severe cases with other people.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had it mildly for 10+ years, until about 2 years ago I was exposed to a loud blast indoors and that did some serious damage to both ears, mostly the left ear though. It took over a week to “regain” hearing in my left ear after that single event. Ever since then the ringing is much more pronounced and never goes away.

The initial onset was from playing drums, listening to rock n roll too loud, timing engines in a dyno room without ear muffs, etc - youth and stupidity being responsible for most of that...

My biggest fear of it, is not only losing more hearing, but depression/sanity. I did some research a couple years ago after the event that caused much more damage, and I read a lot about how suicide rates are higher with people who have severe cases - the constant ringing, as it persists and gets worse, can drive people insane.. So far so good here. I mostly try not to think about it. It does not affect my sleep for the most part, and that was a major factor in the severe cases with other people.
Yup, youth and stupidity lol I know all about that.
Lots of loud music in the day, but I don't think it was excessive.
Lots of members of that FB group complain of trouble sleeping. Not me, not yet. It does take me a little longer to fall asleep, but then I'm out like a rock until sunup.
I started taking dong quai (one of the ingredients in a tinnitus product) with lunch and valerian root (for relaxation for sleep) with dinner and. so far, so good.
Not thinking about it seems to be the best remedy. During the day, I really don't hear it at all - except for today wearing the ear plugs, and that's all I do hear. lol

Do you do anything for the tinnitus, nasal sprays, herbs, sound-canceling gadgets, etc?

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, youth and stupidity lol I know all about that.
Lots of loud music in the day, but I don't think it was excessive.
Lots of members of that FB group complain of trouble sleeping. Not me, not yet. It does take me a little longer to fall asleep, but then I'm out like a rock until sunup.
I started taking dong quai (one of the ingredients in a tinnitus product) with lunch and valerian root (for relaxation for sleep) with dinner and. so far, so good.
Not thinking about it seems to be the best remedy. During the day, I really don't hear it at all - except for today wearing the ear plugs, and that's all I do hear. lol

Do you do anything for the tinnitus, nasal sprays, herbs, sound-canceling gadgets, etc?
I don’t take or do anything extra for it. I don’t notice it much when my mind is distracted by something else - like you, I don’t notice it as much during the day. Mostly just whenever I’m sitting still, reading, etc. I had a hard time hearing the lines last night at my kids school play - it’s times like that it bothers me the most.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
4:25 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spark plugs

I’ve got the dispenser hanging on my barn door, everybody uses them, wife, daughters, son, friends, etc ……..

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These are my favorite plugs because my hands are always dirty and you don't have to roll em. They stay put unlike other molded earplugs. https://www.tascocorp.com/molded-earplugs/rd-1/

Otherwise while running saws I wear this helmet. It's very comfortable and the muffs seal well. https://www.treestuff.com/husqvarna...f7PQEr6WuDblCNM6L878qbamNHaOkv_YaAkehEALw_wcB
Oh my, kind of pricy for those helmets. but as long as they are chainsaw-proof, they're worth it.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Spark plugs

I’ve got the dispenser hanging on my barn door, everybody uses them, wife, daughters, son, friends, etc ……..
Those look exactly like others I've looked at, different brand name - probably all come from the same factory. lol

North by Northwest

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are numerous hearing protection devices on the market , all lower the noise levels to safe decibel levels . The Important fact , is to find a product that is comfortable . If its comfortable you will be prone to wearing them as required . In hot ambient temps , I usually wear ear plugs . Later during colder weather the ear muff style come out . When felling I wear helmet style attached muffs . If I am just bucking or limbing just muffs & a ball cap or togue prevails along with adequate eye protection brother !