• Total voters

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
9:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uncle Sam has purchased every style and type of earplugs known to man or beast, for us monkeys here in the aircraft hangars. Most are 3M variations, some good, some just outright suck. I like the 3M Push-Ins w/Grip Rings (318-1009). Pretty comfortable at least for me, but there are other options hanging all over the hangars in ear plug stations. When we run APU/hydraulics and flight control checks, you gotta have ear plugs and ear muffs and sometimes with those two together you don't hardly stand a chance. Of course flight control checks ain't nowhere near as bad as outside engine run-ups...engine runs just pierce your soul, that *s-wordt's soooo loud and takes a different set-up entirely of ear plugs and ear muffs.

A good friend of my family who unfortunately is no longer with us was on aircraft carriers in the Navy. I can't recall if he was a yellow shirt, red shirt or catapult officer anymore but he was deaf as fukk...
RIP "Java".

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These are really good ear plugs. I even wear them when I sleep.
Moldex Pura-Fit 6800

Last edited:

crowslayer17

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Came across this image on ebay... looks like plugs that block 32db wouldn't block out very much??
Oh, never mind... the "32" in the listing is the NRR rating, not the db level?

s-l1600.jpg
The 140 dB gun shot is a standard 22lr for your info. Hardly anyone I know wears ear protection shooting a 22lr, but some of them will with the lawn mower or chainsaw which is much lower.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
10:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 140 dB gun shot is a standard 22lr for your info. Hardly anyone I know wears ear protection shooting a 22lr, but some of them will with the lawn mower or chainsaw which is much lower.

Power equipment must meet sound levels for laws and stuff. Meanwhile, you gotta pay extra tax and beg permission to make a firearm hearing safe. Daddy gub is an azzhat.

lohan808

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hell, between music as a performer/ drummer for a decade, countless live concerts, chainsaws, firearms, power equipment and shop noise it is a wonder I can hear at all. I wear NRR of at least 27 plugs now. Never really liked muffs. Only wear those at the range.

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best hearing protection for sound for me was when I used noise canceling iPods and earmuffs. Don’t always use them iPods seem to fall out when working. Next best for me is 3m work tunes with Bluetooth.

fredx

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Last edited:

Coupe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They go in different grades like 2,3,4,5 and 5 being the best I think for chainsaws plus leaf blowers.
As I collect old chainsaws like IEL Pioneers which I used a lot of in sawmills in my younger days
I hear bells all day long but have got used of it. You are better to buy grade fours or fives in your case.

TNTreehugger

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking at the date on the OP, it's been a year.
My tinnitus is gone... knock wood.
I think it was a combination of taking aspirin every day, as prescribed by my dr. and the shingles shots.
I fixed the horrible high pitched whine the fridge was making - the fan blades were rubbing the housing and I found a video on YT showing how to change out the fan, so I ordered one from FIX.com and voila! eliminated that noise.
The motor noise when it kicks on was still bothering me, so I put two blow-up vinyl pool floats, one one each side, to muffle the noise. Works like a charm.
Started sleeping at the far end of the house, away from the hvac unit and the fridge.
I wear the ear muffs when I vacuum and mow.

Like I said - praise the lawd! tinnitus gone. :thumbup:
Thanks for all the great advice.

morewood

Mr. Awesome
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have their ear plugs with the Aware tech. Pretty great to listen to music but most of the time the outside noise is too much for the Aware portion and all you hear is click, click, click of it clipping the sound so I usually shut that function off.
I bought some of their muffs and have had the same issues. They function well for noise but the on/off clicking drives me nuts. I also keep that function shut off.

Mr Awesome